UK theme parks from another point of view!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Howl-o-ween

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

I took 12+ as a Fright Nights level attraction, as that's the number thrown around with a lot of those scaremazes. I'm no expert on such attractions, so I assumed you were referring to a high level maze, which would be far too much.

Again, I think Haunting In The Hollows was about right for an "older" attraction, provided you had enough of a lineup below that to keep the younger audience satisfied. Hollows, Hocus Pocus and Trick Or Treat Wood would probably be the ideal lineup for Chessington in such a case, as that provides one high-quality attraction for each of the park's three bat ratings used to rate the intensity of their attractions.
Rides on Dragon's Fury since SRQ installed:

2016: 17 | 2017: 35

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Full details of the 2017 line-up have been added to Chessington's website, confirming the addition of two new attractions.

'Creepy Caves Unearthed' is said to be the resort's "scariest attraction yet" with it given a 10+ age rating. It will also incur an additional charge of £6 (or £4.80 for annual passholders), and timeslots can be booked for 15 minute intervals from 12pm.

No one knows why the famous reptile and creepy crawly exhibit in the Zoo closed its doors at the end of 2016… until now.

Secret Agents will lead you through the quarantined attraction for your exclusive look at the newly discovered plant species, found in the snake enclosure.

But, with Zoo Keepers missing and strange things happening, who knows what powerful properties might be unearthed.

Also new is 'Room on the Broom Spooky Story Time', which is another of Julia Donaldson's stories following the opening of The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure earlier this year. These new attractions will feature alongside returning attractions 'Curse of the Lost Tomb' and 'Trick or Treat Wood'.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:26 pm

That's more like what I was thinking. It sounds quite interesting! Almost like a baby Sub-Species :lol

There is also a decided Creepy Caves Unearthed website which can be found here.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Woo, I was right about it being in Creepy Caves. It certainly sounds interesting and hopefully will help to create a better line up for the whole family.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:12 pm

This looks fairly promising, and means that the park actually have one of the strongest lineups they've had for a while now.

I'll be interested to see how well this sells, considering that the park has never done paid halloween attractions before. It will also be interesting to see how the relatively short layout of Creepy Caves is used enough to justify the £6 price tag. However, perhaps the main flaw I see is the lack of space at its entrance - they'll be prebooking, eliminating the need for a long queue, but there will still undoubtedly be a lot of activity outside the entrance. Given its close proximity to Sealion Bay (which I'm assuming will still be open and running its afternoon shows), the crowds will need to be very carefully handled.

On the whole though, exciting news! :)

hursty
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Burniel wrote:
I'll be interested to see how well this sells, considering that the park has never done paid halloween attractions before.

Creepy Caves doesn't have a lot of space, so I wonder what could feasibly be achieved, that a family would find reasonable value.

Alton definitely went to some considerable effort to create House of Monsters, which was around this price level.
That was a really decent offering - something that I could see at Chessington in the future if they have the space.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Yeah, as I said, I don't really know how they plan on doing that. I know I go on and on about the past lineup, but I think bringing back The Mystery Of Hocus Pocus Hall and charging for that would have been a better shout, or even Haunting In The Hollows. Both were much longer attractions for which an upcharge would be more justified, and had (I assume) higher throughputs, so the park could sell more tickets and potentially make more money? I don't know, the whole concept of using Creepy Caves seems a bit desperate to me, which is odd, given the number of other suitable locations. I'm trying to stay open-minded though.

hursty
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Building plan for reference

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:04 pm

I quite like the sound of Chessington's line up and I'm tempted to go back to their Halloween event this year as I haven't been for a few years.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:58 pm

The following image was posted onto twitter earlier today with the following caption - 

Don't touch the plant...

Now, i'm going to speculate that the story of this will be that a plant has taken over the creepy caves, although i'm not quite sure :lol
Even the good can fall from grace

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:09 pm

Who you gonna call? Plant Busters!

:lol
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Chessington have contacted us in regards to Creepy Caves – Behind the Screams Tour.

BEHIND THE SCREAMS

Explore the process behind the screams of Creepy Caves Unearthed! A production technician will give you an access all areas tour of all things Special FX.
Enter the green room, see the original concept drawings, and leave having Unearthed the creative processes behind the first three bat rated scare maze at Chessington World of Adventures Resort.
Price: £35 per person.

Terms and Conditions…

• This is a 30 minute experience.
  • Minimum age 12 years old.
  • Adventurers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a full paying adult.
  • A maximum of 10 people are allowed on the experience at any one time.
  • One ticket per person.
  • Tickets must be booked 24 hours in advance.
  • The Experience starts at 09:45 am.
  • Merlin Annual Passholders receive 20% off via our the VIP Bookings line
  • Price excludes Theme Park and Zoo entry tickets.

• Guests will not be admitted on the experience without a valid Theme Park entry ticket.
  • All tours are subject to availability.
  • Full terms and conditions will need to be read and signed prior to the beginning of the experience.
  • Your guide will take you through health and safety procedures.
  • Unfortunately, due to the limited space in the back of house areas, this experience would not be suitable for non-ambulant guests. The attraction evacuation procedures would not be suitable for guests with mobility issues. For more information please call the VIP Experience bookings line to speak to a member of the team.

Other available experiences are 'Trick or Treaters In Training' and 'Tigers at Twilight' - more details can be found here.

Looks great!