Share your thought's on one of the UK's leading family parks here.
TT Member
User

ThemeParkCrafter

Re: The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure - 2017

by ThemeParkCrafter » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:15 am

TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:25 am

It's certainly impressive, although it's a shame there are one or two dark spaces however this may be due to the limits of the IP...
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:57 am

The ride is officially open!

The attraction appears to be getting great reviews - maybe Merlin's future is in dark rides?
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:22 pm

It looks decent. I never experienced/knew a lot about
Bubbleworks so don't know how it compares. A few dead spots and certainly nothing special but at least the entire ride isn't just screens!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Wave Breaker: Intamin launch coaster coming to SeaWorld San Antonio in 2017!

SeaWorld has rescued over 30,000 animals!
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:39 pm

I'd say it's pretty darn impressive for the uk, many people seem to be living it so far.

That being said fingers crossed all screens a projections are kept on and running this year...

New images from chessington themselves.

Here's a review...

Theme Park Guide - James A wrote:The ride is themed around the famous Gruffalo book brought to life inside the old Bubbleworks building. Bubbleworks closed early September 2015 for the ride to be completely overhauled and the park have done just that! The ride looks completely different compared to how it did a few months ago. Complete with new effects, smells pots, fog screen and projection mapping the ride is a completely new experience . The only downside of the ride is there are a few empty spaces, however it gives Chessington the space to expand the ride over the next few months. And the big question on everyone's brain, yes the fountains have made a return.
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Here's a before and after from Theme Park Guide!

TT Member
User

Count-Vonduel

by Count-Vonduel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 pm

It looks like CatCF with bigger models, and I fail to see why it had to take the best themed area down with it too!
Its also an utter mess as far as narrative is concerned.
And the snake advertising the themed rooms is wrong...that everything?

It looks very good and I can't wait to ride it!
Forum Leader
User

Dom

by Dom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 pm

So you both hate it but are looking forward to it. Strange. I think this has been the right move by Chessington. People have become to sentimental over rides, which actually prevents the parks from growing with the times. This addition not only shatters the sentimentality people have on rides, but actually shows Merlin can do something really well and it seems to also be working first time, so yay for them. And the GP seem to disagree with you as it seems to be going down a treat.
Team TTSP
User

Ladyofthelake

by Ladyofthelake » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 pm

SouthParks now have a full article including full details of The Gruffalo Ride.

From a personal view I was very impressed with the ride, the theming was done well and there were some lovely effects throughout the attraction.
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Count-Vonduel wrote:It looks like CatCF with bigger models, and I fail to see why it had to take the best themed area down with it too!

I'm very confused. CatCF is nothing like this, and the area has had nothing removed from it, in fact bland areas of Transylvania have been been painted and improved. The story is that of the original book so if it's such a mess I wonder why chessington even went fir the IP, let alone it being one of the most successful children's books of all time. That being said you must know this if you're looking forward to it.

I agree with Dom, whilst it's ok to be sentimental let's try to move on - things can turn out for the better. :)

Also thanks Lakey for the small review, would you consider this an improvement over Bubbleworks?
TT Member
User

kris3012

The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure - 2017

by kris3012 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:59 am

Owen wrote:
Count-Vonduel wrote:It looks like CatCF with bigger models, and I fail to see why it had to take the best themed area down with it too!

I'm very confused. CatCF is nothing like this, and the area has had nothing removed from it, in fact bland areas of Transylvania have been been painted and improved. The story is that of the original book so if it's such a mess I wonder why chessington even went fir the IP, let alone it being one of the most successful children's books of all time. That being said you must know this if you're looking forward to it.

I agree with Dom, whilst it's ok to be sentimental let's try to move on - things can turn out for the better. :)

Also thanks Lakey for the small review, would you consider this an improvement over Bubbleworks?

I think from the POV it looks like an improvement Im looking forward to experiencing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TT Member
User

T0mPr1ce

by T0mPr1ce » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:39 am

Really don't get the obsession with those bloody fountains, the ride and theming look fantastic but to have the fountains at the end with the exposed troughs?? Ruins it for me. Does anyone know how the hell they've linked them into the story and narrative?
TT Member
User

Count-Vonduel

by Count-Vonduel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:58 am

And the 1st room (the blank book) looks awful but to be honest it looks very good despite its many flaws!
My main issue with it is the ride itself, in bubbleworks it was designed for spinning boats but the gruffalo's theming is designed for normal boats (like Charlie's) but with the spinning boats it seems way too easy to miss plot important stuff due to the boat spinning, this is the kind of ride that needed normal boats.
I can't wait to go on it tho, it looks quite good!

The fountains look awful tho!
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 am

I think the first room the we're going door "you're going through a blank book into a new world". In regards to the fountains, they look much better than Bubbleworks' black box :lol

I think the only reason people love the fountains is it's something different... or it's because you can angle the water to soak your friends!
TT Member
User

ThemeParkCrafter

by ThemeParkCrafter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am

Personally, I do quite like the ride because it does make you feel like you are directly inside the book. However, I am a bit confused with the ride storyline because the audio from the video story sounded very different to the book but it may have been due to poor audio videoing quality. Does anyone know what is supposed to happen in the fountain room and the storyline because I was really confused seeing it?
TT Member
User

T0mPr1ce

by T0mPr1ce » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:52 pm

I guess this shows Merlin are almost there with their theming, I was amazed to see the projected images onto the water vapour screen! Gives a bit of hope for the theming and effects we could be getting on SW8.
TT Member
User

Count-Vonduel

by Count-Vonduel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:49 pm

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Personally, I do quite like the ride because it does make you feel like you are directly inside the book. However, I am a bit confused with the ride storyline because the audio from the video story sounded very different to the book but it may have been due to poor audio videoing quality. Does anyone know what is supposed to happen in the fountain room and the storyline because I was really confused seeing it?

I think the fountain room is the mouse scaring the other animals with the gruffalo and just after that is him scaring the gruffalo (with the mist screen) and as far as I can tell, the fountains are just there for their own sake.

TT Member
User

Dan_Roe

by Dan_Roe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:54 pm

At least the fountains are still there, right? :D #wherearethefountains
TT Member
User

ThemeParkCrafter

by ThemeParkCrafter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:57 pm

2/3 of the sections are there. Just not the middle one which has been replaced by a tree

TT Member
User

Muppet738

by Muppet738 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Went there and rode it twice both times was very impressed with theming. My daughter loved as much as me when I first rode bubbleworks when it opened. It works very well but as long as they keep on top of maintenance i.e. the projectors etc
PreviousNext