UK theme parks from another point of view!

harryss123
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:55 am

Just seen on the Chessington website under Bubbleworks:

"Sold! Factory under new management from March 2017. Last chance to ride Bubbleworks 6th Sept. #byebyebubbleworks"

What are everyone's views and what is the new factory going to be?

And finally sorry if there is already this topic, but I couldn't find one :)

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Chessington - General Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:56 am

According to the Surrey Comet, Chessington World of Adventures will be saying goodbye to Bubbleworks at the end of the 2016 season.

Chessington World of Adventures is saying goodbye to one of its most iconic rides and giving fans the chance to take a part of it home with them.

The foamy, family Bubbleworks ride will close down at the end of summer after completing more than 15 million circuits.

During its 26 years Professor Burp and his factory helpers have soaked 32 million people who boarded the bobbing bathtubs and travelled through the workshop.

Superfans visiting the park over the summer will get the chance to take a piece of the ride home with them as the magical animated scenes are auctioned off at the beginning of September.

A CWOA spokeswoman could not say what would replace the ride.

She said: “At this stage we can't confirm what, if anything will be replacing Bubbleworks but we will be in touch at a later date to confirm this.”

CWOA is now asking Bubbleworks fans to share their photos so it can create a “mosaic of memories” from people who have been on the ride over the years.

Post your nostalgic Bubbleworks pictures on Twitter, Facebook or using #ByeByeBubbleworks.

For more information visit chessington.com.

The below picture has also been added to the Chessington website:

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Bubbleworks 2017 refurbishment

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:59 am

Said page

This looks quite big. "Last chance to ride" and #byebyebubbleworks imply that the building will house something completely different.

Very exciting!
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Nathan_Fisher
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:20 am

I think they will keep the same ride system but with a complete retheme of the ride, I can't honestly see a completely new ride being added in that space of time between September and March although it could be possible I guess.

Chessington are seriously in need of something new though, closing bubble works is the right decison. It's had a good run and time for something new to come along. Can't wait to see the developments.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:48 am

https://twitter.com/CWOA/status/756438693976637444

Am I reading too far between the lines when I point out the picture of Professor Burp? :P

Edit: The exact same picture is on their Facebook page ... comments on there are brutal, this hasn't been a popular decision!

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:57 pm

For it to be closed for just 4 months would suggest it's not going to be a radical change to the ride system. My guess would be that they'll change it to be closer to a ghost train to bring it in keeping with the area theme.

They can't even add 3D screens (can't control the angle people will be viewing it at).

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:57 pm

It'll be closed between September and March which gives them 6 months.

There have been some rumours floating around about its new theme, including the Gruffalo which in my opinion sounds like a very good idea seeing how popular that series still is, although with no official confirmation I'd take any rumours as a pinch of salt.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:48 pm

Anyone checked planning website? I've heard rumours of it may be a beer factory tour, in fitting with the current area. If so, it may not require planning permission, as I'd imagine any large changes would. ;)
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:53 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an application for this on the Kingston Council website. :(

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:56 pm

I think it would need planning if any major changes are made, as isn't Transylvania the closest area to the edge of the park? I was thinking that since it is going to be an I.P, they could use Hotel Transylvania for the area.
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:32 pm

If the only thing to change is the themeing, than planning won't need to be submitted...... I think. I think planning only needs to be submitted if works will be happening to the exterior or to the actual system, But i'm not 100% certain on that.
Even the good can fall from grace

Cobby
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:48 pm

The announcement today has caused a lot of people to be talking about it.At the moment Bubbleworks is currently a trending topic on Facebook, whatever Merlin has planned it better be good with this much attention...

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:01 pm

They'll be using the same ride system, considering that they fully rebuilt the drop over closed season 2015/16.

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington - General Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Dan wrote:
According to the Surrey Comet, Chessington World of Adventures will be saying goodbye to Bubbleworks at the end of the 2016 season.

The below picture has also been added to the Chessington website:

Merlin got a decent dark ride and decided they can't have more than one, so now Bubbleworks is going. :?

JK, I know it's just a retheme. :lol

Credit to NemesisRider

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:01 pm

Bubbleworks was classed as decent? :-s

Personally I think this is great, it's painful to see the state the ride is in right now so anything is an improvement in my books. I am sad that they never returned it to its former glory that I remember from childhood, but I'm equally excited to see what they do with it!

As long as it's not another Tomb Blaster...

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:47 pm

Owen wrote:
Bubbleworks was classed as decent? :-s

Personally I think this is great, it's painful to see the state the ride is in right now so anything is an improvement in my books. I am sad that they never returned it to its former glory that I remember from childhood, but I'm equally excited to see what they do with it!

As long as it's not another Tomb Blaster...

That's a bit harsh in my opinion.

Bubbleworks will always be compared unfavorably with its Professor Burp legacy and, whilst the ride is a far cry from what's out there, it's a big crowd pleaser and always makes me smile. It would've been very easy for the park to leave it as it is for a while longer (it has one of the highest throughputs on-park and still pulls queues of 45 minutes+). It's not brilliant, but I think it deserves the word "decent".

Having said this, I also welcome the change. Merlin have proved themselves worthy with children's rides and dark rides recently, so I see great potential in the re-theme.

Azza1390
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:27 am

Is this going to be a retheme though or complete removal of the ride?

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:16 pm

It'll just be a retheme, it's incredibly unlikely the ride system is going anywhere. :)

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm hoping to ride it one more time, although I am one who preferred it as Professor Burp's Bubbleworks.

I do find it interesting how they are referring back to the original pop factory theme and not the bathtubs, so much so that the press are even getting confused! They are certainly homing in on the nostalgia of the ride with guests, something which I am surprised they didn't do with The Flume at Alton Towers.

Metro wrote:
The classic ride involves going through floating bathtubs and a workshop that makes fizzy drinks.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/23/chessingt ... z4FM6wuAbG

theninjacat20
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:57 am

Was this in Chessington's 10 year plan? Sad to see bubble works go, but want the ride system to stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk