UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Safari Lodges Development

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:29 pm

As reported on SouthParks News, Chessington have submitted a screening opinion request for a new accommodation development comprising of 45 lodges, bar and lounge, reception building, and play areas. 34 of the lodges will be standard, whilst 11 will be classed a s premium offering views across the Wanyama Reserve.

The plans for the lodges follow what was outlined in the draft Long Term Development plan which the Resort consulted on back in May this year so it's not a total surprise to see these plans moving forward. It is perhaps going to frustrate many people as this would make the third major accommodation development at Chessington in recent years after the Azteca Hotel and Explorer Glamping. I think we can only hope that as this is the first project from the draft LTDP to come to fruition that we'll see more plans submitted in the near future for the theme park based projects.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Safari Lodges Development

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Out of all the parks, why Chessington? At this rate it will have more accommodation than it does decent rides!
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Whilst it is nice that Chessington is being thought of in terms of development, I personally don't think it's the right way to go. I would rather they put money into bringing new rides and attractions to the park and also a general spruce up of the park as a whole would be good too.

Twinklepark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:00 pm

It's a no brainer really. The real profit is made in the accommodation. With a lack of space and decent offering at Thorpe and Chessington being so close to rail connections into central London for the London midways, Chessington has turned into a bit of a south East hub. Dont get your hopes up for any park investment as it has less of a return and you just have to look at the dire state of AT yet still another hotel being built there too.

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Liam.W wrote:
Out of all the parks, why Chessington? At this rate it will have more accommodation than it does decent rides!

Already does.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:19 am

I have to say although I disagree with the accommodation forward direction Chessington are going, I feel once Explorer Glamping is gone that this will be a lovely little edition! Looking at the plans they seem to be copies of the Enchanted Village lodges which are really nice for family and personal getaways.

Lets just hope that this development will inspire them to build the 2/3 coasters previously mentioned more quickly!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Yesterday Kingston Council determined that Chessington's lodge development will not require an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA). It's just a case of waiting for the full application to be submitted now, which I imagine won't be until the new year.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 pm

The full application for the Safari Lodge development was submitted last week, and SouthParks News has a full rundown of all the details.