Discussion on the island like no other.
TT Member
User

matt_1985x

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train

by matt_1985x » Fri May 19, 2017 7:03 am

Wen't on it last week. Very pleased with the updates and the new VR footage is fantastic.
TT Member
User

Sawboss

by Sawboss » Wed May 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Finally tried DBGT monday and unfortunately I and my party found it pretty weak.
Spoiler!
Having tried this and Galactica I think VR on rides just doesn't work for me. It never feels like anything other than watching a video. The pacing seemed pretty off, too much exposition and the demon did a lot of wandering about, and the VR finale where the train is broken apart and you fall down into a fiery pit the graphics seemed to suddenly take quite a dip in quality.
It didn't help that we had a crash at the end of the first VR section and had to sit around for a few minutes waiting.

The parts I did like were all the practical parts, the suspended carriage room looks stunning, the train coming down the tunnel followed by the shadow of the demon moving through the smoke, and of course the finale with the fake shop which completely took me by surprise and made me wish the whole ride had been done like that! I very much appreciated a demon roaring in my face.

TT Member
User

archie.mm

by archie.mm » Wed May 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Quick question
Spoiler!
What actually happens in the "Fake Shop"?
Last edited by Dom on Thu May 25, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Because quoted spoilers stop spoilers from happening on actual post
TT Member
User

Sawboss

by Sawboss » Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Spoiler!
You'd be better off experiencing it for yourself, honestly. But if that's not possible... we walked in after Derren's voiceover tells you the ride is over and you're let off the carriage, everyone chatting away. You walk into the shop complete with t-shirts, posters and teddy bears. I stopped to wait for the others next to this railed off area that has a ouija board projected onto the floor. We started chatting and I noticed a vent pipe behind someone shaking from side to side, had time to say 'Hey look at..' before the floor started rocking, followed by all the shelves shaking around. Next thing all the lights switch off and come back on to show an awesome animatronic demon in the railed off area that roars at guests. I was stood right next to it and sprayed water in my face. Lights go off, come back on and the space is empty again. I say it's animatronic but I don't know exactly how it was done since the lighting was really well done.
All in all unexpected and a great idea.

One good thing I'll say about the VR that I forgot to add was the syncing of the movement of the ride vehicle and the train in the VR was really well done.
TT Member
User

Morgan

by Morgan » Thu May 25, 2017 12:59 am

Spoiler!
As far as I know it's a guy in a costume, there are rumours about the head being animatronic but I haven't seen it move or do anything fancy
TT Member
User

ThemeCrafter264

by ThemeCrafter264 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Spoiler!
The staff member from when I visited said it was half animatronic and half actor
Previous