UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Project 2020

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Members at the SouthParks Summer Sizzler on July 15th were introduced to Project 2020 which looks to be Thorpe Park Resort's next major attraction.

At present, nothing has been confirmed but we can speculate that the attraction will be a large roller coaster.

- There are currently three possible sites being considered, which includes the area where Loggers Leap is currently situated. The park is currently working out if it is feasible to keep the ride.
- The teaser above shows what looks like large airtime hills - leading us to believe the park may be looking at a hyper coaster or RMC hybrid coaster. The photo is actually the Meydan Bridge in Dubai, but signifies 'the road to 2020'.
- They want a reliable attraction, that has a high throughput and will sell itself. The engineers on the day stated they love working with B&M.
- It could feature an IP.

Let the speculation begin!

The Nemesis Fox
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Project 2020

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 pm

If loggers is a site and I'm guessing the empty island behind swarm is, what is the third site?
2018 - SW8, Icon, Rookburgh, Valkyria, Energylandia, Toverland, Steel Vengance, Twisted Timbers, Hangtime, Railblazer, Slinky Dog Dash, Time Traveler, Electric Eel, Wonder Woman...

Which will be best

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:24 pm

The Nemesis Fox wrote:
If loggers is a site and I'm guessing the empty island behind swarm is, what is the third site?

If I'm not mistaken, the area around Shark Hotel was considered a coaster site in 2012, but it could be used once the main THORPE PARK RESORT hotel opens and Shark Hotel closes.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 pm

I may be looking into this but they could've chosen any random road and put Thorpe Park 2020 on it. It looks like they have purposly selected Meydan Bridge to hint the fact that the coaster (which it is most likely to be) will contain airtime leading to me thinking its gunna be a Woodie or B&M hyper. As for the sight. I could see them using Loggers in order to get that part of the park back to life before using any other space. But again, this is speculation so none of us are gunna be right as of yet.

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:42 pm

Interesting, looking forward to following this

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:12 am

I'm not sure how significant the artwork shown in the picture is, but it reminds me a little of Tron from Shanghai Disney... a launched Vekoma motorbike coaster might be a good idea though as I get the impression Thorpe Park want to give its guests unique experiences and thrills so I would imagine that this type of ride would fit very well with their target market.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 am

Chris wrote:
The photo is actually the Meydan Bridge in Dubai, but signifies 'the road to 2020'.

You know, when I first saw the image I did think that looked familiar!
Very exciting though! A big hint of a hyper in my eyes, just a shame we have to wait until 2020! Wish it could be sooner.... :(
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 pm

A B&M Giga coaster could be a good option, and RMC Raptor would also be nice. 

Whatever it ends up as, Thorpe needs a ride that solidifies Thorpe Park, much like Nemesis does at Alton Towers. I know there's Swarm but there it isn't quite Iconic as let's say The Big One and again Nemesis. Another thing is that Thorpe have an advantage with becoming a well-known park worldwide, with Nemesis Inferno and The Swarm and it isn't a single large investment at a park with no other major rides.
[Insert Signature Here]

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:18 pm

We have to wait until 2020 ... *cries*

This is very interesting. My money's on a B&M Hyper/Giga; it seems to fit all the hints:
Throughput? Very high.
IP? I'd rather it didn't but they could easily implement one.
Reliable? Yes, it's B&M.
Can sell itself? Anything taller than The Big One would be an instant landmark and would dominate the skyline.
Fits the photo? Yes, airtime hills.
Engineers love working with B&M? Of course they do, who wouldn't?

Hypers are hugely popular rides and they'd easily have a chance of this being the best coaster in the UK (for me personally anyway). Just PLEASE Thorpe, if it's a hyper, DON'T TRIM IT. :P
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

ColossusInferno
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:28 pm

If it was to be a B&M Hyper, expect it to be round the same height as Mako, so it doesn't tower over Stealth. The GP still see Stealth as a very tall roller coaster remember!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:53 pm

See, this discussion comes up often and I disagree. Assuming it is a hyper, Thorpe Park want it to "market itself", and for that they require it to dominate the park's skyline, as a hyper's height is its main USP. Stealth's main USP is, for me, its launch, which would still probably be the most forceful thing at the park.

Regarding it "towering over Stealth", I've never considered this to be an issue, as it depends where the ride's lift hill is. If the lift hill is immediately behind Stealth but is, say, 250ft tall, then it will somewhat dwarf Stealth (although what with Thorpe Park being so compact, it will still be very clear that Stealth is tall due to it being next to The Swarm, Tidal Wave etc). But, if you put the station and lift hill on the Loggers site, then had the majority of the ride's airtime hills along the back of the park, I fail to see the issue. With the exception of Saw, the Loggers site is possibly one of the most secluded spots to place the lift hill, thus reducing the extent to which it dwarfs other rides. Additionally, when looking out from the main entrance (and from most of the areas of the park from which Stealth is visible), a coaster taller than Stealth would not look so tall due to it being so much further away from the person.

I don't really understand the argument that a taller hyper would diminish Stealth, because even if you stood Mako next to Stealth, Stealth becomes far less intimidating. It's all about positioning and perspective. Thorpe can definitely pull off 230ft+ if place correctly and I'd love to see them try.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:31 pm

I as far as I'm aware Thorpe Park have certain height limits for certain areas, for example one of the lowest height limits is 100ft(I've heard at least, you guys know how accurate I am with this stuff) whereas I've also heard that they can build up to 500ft in some areas. With how small Thorpe Park is in size I could see them getting a Mack Hypercoaster as we've seen how versatile Mack can get with their rides and a 'UK's tallest/Europe's tallest' would very easily market itself they could even have a 'World's first Hyper coaster with ... element'.

Whatever this ends up being I also see this being drastically different to rides other UK Merlin parks might be getting in the similar time frame such as SW9 or Chessington's scheduled coaster from their LTDP. 
[Insert Signature Here]

ColossusInferno
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:23 pm

Let's be honest. It will probably be a let down like most new UK rollercoasters. I hope I am proven wrong though, fingers crossed

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Thorpe Park is in desperate need of a new coaster, especially with DBGT essentially replacing what would traditionally be a coaster. 
With The Swarm not reportedly being the success the resort hoped, along with DBGT, I strongly believe the 2020 Project will be something impressive and on a large scale! 

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Thorpe is not big enough to warrant different permitted heights in different areas. There is no set limit - each planning application is considered on a case by case basis.

Well, until we see sight of the next medium term development plan..

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:08 pm

I expect something of considerable length! 

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 pm

As long as they deliver airtime, I'll love it!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Isn't there a limit on the length of track Thorpe can build in place still?

Also, it's interesting how a teaser can change the minds of so many... this time last year people thought a hyper would never happen :P
That being said I don't really buy that the park are "still looking" if this is actually an attraction for 2020, especially on the scale that it's likely to be. Either they are more or less decided or they aren't looking to build anything until 2021 (in my opinion). I honestly don't know what they could planning. I don't necessarily think it needs to be high or large, but it does need to have something that'll pull in the crowds - Ghost Train has done a great job, but now they need another strong hit for a coaster.

Then again, who is to say this isn't just to get enthusiasts talking - I wouldn't be surprised...

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Owen wrote:
Also, it's interesting how a teaser can change the minds of so many... this time last year people thought a hyper would never happen :P

I've always thought a hyper should be Thorpe's next coaster, and I think many people would agree, it's just more been a case of being unsure if Merlin would build such a ride. I don't think the hyper model was ever considered any less likely on the whole than any other model. I don't know about the track length, but I think that was something from the old MTDP, not sure if it's a restriction or just something that was true for all the coasters they were planning for the foreseeable future.

I'm not entirely sure where you're getting this "DBGT was a smash hit" idea from either. It's believed that attendance at the park saw no change from 2015 to 2016, following a very poor year in 2015, and the ride has received good but hardly smashing reviews, not to mention its downtime. I think this could be why they mention something that can "market itself", rather than relying on gimmicky VR and expecting people to wait several hours for something when they don't even really know what it is. Perhaps this also explains the "reliable" and "high throughput" comments.

I think the (possibly sad) reality is that such a large proportion of Thorpe Park's target audience only really care about riding the biggest and baddest, so I really do think they need to make Project 2020 visually large.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:23 pm

I think it's worth mentioning that the quoted comment isn't serious, however regarding your other point...

I never said anything about Ghost Train was a smash hit, I said it has done a great job considering all the issues it had and the fact it didn't open for half a year in which people held off from visiting the park (you also have to take ROTD into account) - hence why this next investment needs to be better in terms of numbers because they need a hit like The Smiler. The size this is really irrelevant in my eyes, so long as it's marketed correctly and has decent height there are many ways to have a popular ride. The Swarm dominates the skyline in the park yet didn't capture much attention, however Saw  with its interesting design and IP did - it definitely needs something, but not necessarily size.

If I am honest I wouldn't look into anything said by Thorpe at the event personally, as things can be twisted and they can keep things to themselves. Just because they say something 3 years in advance doesn't mean it'll be 100% truth. :)