UK theme parks from another point of view!

Hark

Re: Rush - Restraints!

Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:37 pm

My view on it is totally different...

I've ridden Rush 3 times. Each time, I fear for my life! I do not feel safe on it, what-so-ever. Not after seeing the one time we went 2 seats missing and the restraints held into just about locking position by what looked like black Gaffa Tape.

I just do not trust the restraints at all :( People may completely disagree with me, but for me I feel like i need to hold on for dear life. I just don't like the feeling at all... But this is just my personal opinion. One that I share similarly to Russell.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:42 pm

"Hark" wrote:
My view on it is totally different...

I've ridden Rush 3 times. Each time, I fear for my life! I do not feel safe on it, what-so-ever. Not after seeing the one time we went 2 seats missing and the restraints held into just about locking position by what looked like black Gaffa Tape.

I just do not trust the restraints at all :( People may completely disagree with me, but for me I feel like i need to hold on for dear life. I just don't like the feeling at all... But this is just my personal opinion. One that I share similarly to Russell.

I do have to agree with you there. I love the ride, and when I can put the fact that I don't trust the restraints to the back of my mind, it is fantastic with an ever so slightly loose restraint. The air time is something else :P .

But one day I feel that the air time may be more than expected :shock: The restraints just feel so flimsy and that they could easily pop open. There are occasions when I think about that when I will hold on for dear life. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Russell
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:51 pm

I completely agree with Hark as he mentioned in his post! :p

I just don't trust the restraints at all. The way you can make them wiggle even when they're closed :( I feel the same on Slammer to a degree but the little shoulder 'things' make me feel a little safer!

Rush is the only ride at Thorpe I end up going on because other people are, then regretting it straight away afterwards!
Since April 2008

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:03 pm

They do move a bit, but then so do B&M restraints unless you close them so tight you can't breathe. The only difference is B&Ms always self-open as far as the next ratchet, and they can't really be wobbled in quite the same way as the movement is dampened.

Personally, I have more worries about Samurai's (or it might be Bling's - they're similar) restraints, which have an alarming left-right movement.

Off topic, if S&S ever sort out the crippling cycle length issues, screamin' swings would instantly become my absolute favourite flat - they're up there as it is, but the ride length is a real let-down.

Jaycey_18
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:11 am

I have to say Rush is one of my favourite rides at Thorpe Park, the very minimalistic restraints add to the excitement of the ride IMO. It give's the rider a sense of freedom

hehe
BARROWMAN! *shakes fist*

Kaycee

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:20 pm

Such a shame if people let fears of restraint safety ruin their enjoyment of the ride! I know you know they're perfectly safe - no ride could operate in this H&S mad country if they weren't safe. Rush and Samurai are two of my personal favourite flat rides and I completely let go, I love Rush's out of control feeling!

On Oblivion I thought it was such a shame to see people worry about the harnesses because you know they're so safe, they just ruin their enjoyment of the ride so much - fair enough, worry about how the ride makes you feel, but to worry about safety is just so pointless and only ruins your experience. :D

I know you guys know this, but just let go on Rush! It's amazing! :D

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Rush is my favourite flat ride. I love it! :D
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:07 pm

"Kaycee" wrote:
I know you guys know this, but just let go on Rush! It's amazing! :D

I don't have any safety fears on Rush, but I physically cannot let go! I just cant!
It's the only ride that this happens with. Maybe next season I will try harder.

I do loev Rush - my favourite flat ride too.

tidy_martin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:42 pm

i love rush and i always leave a massive gap so i down fly out my seat which is amazin and scary lol :P

as for seeing the 2 seats missing i remember seeing that as well and sat next to them which did not make me feel safe so that day the bar went down tight lol :(

apart from that like kaycee said in this MAD H&S england the rides would not open if they were not safe the amount of checks that are done by the teckies and the ride staff everyday is mad

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Cant even see any restrainsts here lol

AstroDan

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm

I do love Rush, but S&S have always struck me as one of the shoddiest companies making major theme park rides today. Slammer and Rush are very unreliable, bits of metal flying of Rush, Mumbo Jumbo averaging 200pph at Flamingoland, Ring Racer "exploding" on launch AFTER guests have already been on it...

:shock:

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Rush is, one of my favourite rides, and with a slightly loose restraint, as others have said the airtime is incredible. However I agree with John, that the ride experience would improve even further if the ride length was better!

And Dan, 200 pph on Mumbo Jumbo! I've never been to Flamingoland and never seen the ride but that sounds ridiculous, how/why is it so low? Surely it wouldn't have been installed if the throughput was known to have been that low.

But like you say, S&S rides do always seems to have incidents, often ones which could have been much worse, but there is still one S&S ride I really would like to try, it's called Powder Keg and is at Silver Dollar City in the States, have a look, in my opinion I think it looks a fantastic family coaster, and I think a coaster of that same type would work well at Chessington.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

Jaycey_18
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:56 am

Restraints don't effect my opinion of a ride that much, that's why I don't mind going on Submission. On things like Oblivion, Air and Nemesis I purposely put my restraints loose, not too loose, just enough so that I can feel the airtime. And it doesn't bother me cause i know I am safe, they wouldn't run the rides if they weren't safe
BARROWMAN! *shakes fist*

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:16 pm

I adore Rush. It's my favourite ride in Thorpe. I love how loose the restraints can be, when the staff deem my loose restraint acceptable the air time I get I just love.

If only the awful ride programmes were sorted out though, then it would rock. However, I really don't think Slammer is great, it's not "free" enough in restraint sense.

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:44 pm

"BrettS" wrote:
Slightly off topic

But i also think the noise made between the two swinger things when they cross paths is really awesome! :)

Yeah definatley. The big hydraulic 'whooomph' is like aural sex.

Rathaus
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59 pm

"ponder""][quote=""BrettS" wrote:
Slightly off topic

But i also think the noise made between the two swinger things when they cross paths is really awesome! :)

Yeah definatley. The big hydraulic 'whooomph' is like aural sex.[/quote]

Oh my.. :shock:

The Nemesis Fox
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Rush

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 pm

Does anyone know what’s happening with Rush?
We were told last year that it like slammer would be SBNO. We were then told it would return 2018 following a replacement part being fitted. We were given updates that it had been paired but now there’s no news on it. What is happening with this ride as it has been removed off of queue times. Surely if it were to open it would stay on like the scare mazes have. Does anyone know what’s happening with Rush?
EDIT- I’m a Celeb and Rumba are also absent so Rush will probably be similar.
Icon Dare To Ride

Joel Allen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:04 pm

I believe it has re-opened today after testing this morning :) Same with Im a Celeb and Rumba

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:05 pm

It wasn't operational today (Monday) but they were actively working on one of the swing. They were investigating/working on the top of the gondola/bottom of the arm. I can't remember which side though, sorry!

Joel Allen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 pm

On Sunday, it was open on the gondola futhest away from the operating booth. I guess they are finishing doing work to the second arm and will be running soon :)