UK theme parks from another point of view!

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:15 pm

in the behind the scene video of the making. the tube train looks like a modern tube train from the outside and inside

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:21 pm

On what Callum_090 said, the effect was working when I went in half term I think it was, but wasn't a few weeks before at the SP event.
And on what simononestop said, that was filmed at the station where you get off at, which has the underground train visible.

I just realised, in the 'Deeper, Darker' video, they don't have the paper covering the windows of the train. This may just be for filming, but it could mean the self-misting windows (I think that's what they were) are going to be working on ROTD

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Hopefully all the effects will work - as a whole tonne wasn't working last year. :)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Thorpe have just shared a short video on their social media channels of people testing out some of the new VR content (inside of Containment).

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Thorpe Park have released a new video of brae souls testing the new VR in Containment. Also an opening date has been announced. 31st March.

Video contains strong language

https://twitter.com/thorpepark/status/8 ... 6910233600

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Dom this is a very secret laboratory, obviously not containment silly :D

Being serious though, it does look quite scary which is obviously very good for some members of the community!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:17 pm

I'm so freaking excited. It opens on my Birthday and i'm up there the day after. :joy:

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:18 pm

haHAA an opening date.

All jokes aside I do hope they make this opening date, and regarding the video, it seems like another promotional video rather than anything serious, if they are real reaction then I am even more excited but there's no way of knowing.

I'm going in April so if the opening date is kept to, I'll get on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm sure Thorpe are much more confident with this date, they've had all this time to test it as opposed to needing to build and test it so I expect they have left it to the last minute to announce the opening date for good reason. :)

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Owen wrote:
I'm sure Thorpe are much more confident with this date, they've had all this time to test it as opposed to needing to build and test it so I expect they have left it to the last minute to announce the opening date for good reason. :)

I do agree, I wouldn't expect them to make the same mistake as last time. Fingers crossed it won't break down as often and maybe they've increased the throughput. (Would be nice)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeoXIII
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 pm

I won't believe that opening date until it actually happens, haha.
Let's see how it'll turn out. :)

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:54 pm

I think we can be fairly confident with this opening date. I would hope that after last year they wouldn't confirm a date until absolutely certain they could meet it. Yes, there may still be last minute technical hitches, however the same could be said for any new ride.

There's certainly been a step up in the promotion of the ride with the recent videos. Whilst it's too difficult to make a judgement on the new VR content just from the reactions in the video, what I am intrigued about is how there is what appears to be some form of physical demon hinted at - could we see the demon make an appearance outside the VR/

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Thorpe Park have posted a photo of the new ROTD signage on their Instagram.

EDIT: Here's an excerpt from an Attractions Management article, featuring a different quote to what has gone out in the generic press release today:
“It’s [sic] was a world-first ride – something really innovative, said Dominic Jones, divisional director of Thorpe Park, speaking to Attractions Management during the trials.

“This is something which I think is the future of theme parks if you think of all the different elements to it. We got a lot of feedback from our customers saying they wanted more fear, for it to be scarier, so we gave Derren Brown that problem. I can’t give too much away as he’s very secretive, as are we, but we’ve spent the whole winter working on how we can up the fear for Derren Brown’s Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon.”

The ride is undergoing a grand transformation as the park prepares to reopen for the season on 23 March. Changes have been made to add a sense of realism to the experience, which will follow similar themes but tell a new version of the story.

“It’s a whole new destination,” said Jones. “There will be elements that our guests will expect but there’ll also be lots of changes. The premise of the ride is still Derren Brown’s Ghost Train and he’s absolutely making it the scariest ghost train ever. There’ll still be the technology, the VR, the effects, the movement, live actors – all of that stuff we did last year – but with the ante upped and some nice scares added in.

“Derren is so clever in what he does and how he works. With this ride you question reality itself because it does play with your mind. When you get off of Return [sic] of the Demon, you’ll think to yourself ‘what actually happened?’ It’s brilliant.”

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:14 pm

The ride is undergoing a grand transformation as the park prepares to reopen for the season on 23 March. Changes have been made to add a sense of realism to the experience, which will follow similar themes but tell a new version of the story.

Wasn't it the 31st March?

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:24 pm

rolicoli8 wrote:

Wasn't it the 31st March?

The park opens on the 23rd, but the ghost train will reopen on the 31st :D

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Oh I read it as preparing the ride to reopen :P

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:37 am

Ghost Train is looking great, with the extension blending seamlessly into the building. However, a new enclosed queue section and theming previously not mentioned in the redevelopment plans have also been added to the exterior of the attraction...

Credit to Thorpe Park Mania.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:42 am

What extra theming is there? I can't see anything new except that hut and shop extension.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:44 am

There's new pipes on the roof of the attraction.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Here's some photos of the shop, taken by Thorpe Park Mania.

It seems the extremely limited edition Levitating Train is back on sale this year. Interesting decision to cut down on the amount of photo viewing points and purchasing areas. Also seems only one photo will be available this year, in the form of the group photo.

Here's a couple from Scare Tour. With the possibility there will only be one photo this year, could this new enclosed section be a single photo point with previous one being removed?