UK theme parks from another point of view!

Merlin Pixie
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thorpe Park - The Past

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Does anyone remeber this animatronic show at Thorpe? It was in a tent like structure and was a music show with dogs and cats - I remember it tended to break down a lot!

Does anyone have any photos or videos as I've searched eveywhere and can't find any.

It was next to Cinema 180 or something...

DiogoJ42

Re: Captain Andy's Revue - Thorpe Park

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Errr... I remember it existing. But I'm afraid I don't recall ever seeing it.

Adam James
TT Member
TT Member
Location: On a plane with these 'ere users to somewhere else.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:10 pm

I used to watch Sooty as a child, so i've still got a video of when the puppets visited Thorpe Park in the early nineties. :P

In this clip, they're playing on the old crazy golf course, and there are glimpses of the Capn' Andy's Revue exterior at 0:18 - 1:33 and a number of other classic attractions too (including the old park mascot!) [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZmLzusOQaM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZmLzusOQaM[/url]

I don't know much more information about it, but when retro Thorpe Park starts to be talked about, this clip always comes to mind. Hope you find it useful. :)

AstroDan

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Sooty!

How I miss it! And how Thorpe has changed...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

jamesc
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Captain Andy's Revue was Bumper Cars in a Dome, if I remember rightly.

Mind that would be going back to my school days when we used to go there on school trips, they were the good old days.

But I maybe wrong.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!

Merlin Pixie
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Nope it wasn't bumper cars, a 20 min show with music and talking animals - thanks for the Sooty vid!

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:55 pm

"jamesc" wrote:
Captain Andy's Revue was Bumper Cars in a Dome, if I remember rightly.

Mind that would be going back to my school days when we used to go there on school trips, they were the good old days.

But I maybe wrong.

You're thinking of Dare Devil Drivers which was where Zodiac is now located. Infact the golden statues around Zodiac are from the original Dare Devil Drivers attraction, simply repainted and smartened up a bit.

hazhart
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Rest assure that Captain Andy is still alive and well, after moving to Pleasurewood Hills in the early 00's, now resides at Watermouth Castle - a quirky family attraction in North Devon (along similar lines to Blackgang chine)

[url=http://www.watermouthcastle.com/adventure_land.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.watermouthcastle.com/adventure_land.html[/url]

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Thorpe Park 1991 souvenir brochure

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:52 am

Another interesting find on Flickr, this time photos of Thorpe Park's 36 page booklet from 1991. The bit about how they created Canada Creek is quite interesting. How the place has changed!

It's amazing to think they were achieving gate figures of well over a million even in the early 90's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65600336@N08/5965283348/in/photostream/

:)

Starlight expresser
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park 1991 souvenir brochure

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:58 am

i have this book, its quite intresting. I also have an Alton and Chessie book similar to this. Ive actually got a Saw the ride promo poster before it actually opened which i love, will try to post a pic.

Andy

DiogoJ42

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:59 am

I used to have this book! Sadly I lost it long ago :( So many memories... I even remember seeing that sci fi show in the Park palladium! It's hard to believe it's the same Thorpe we know now... look at it! it's gorgeous! :no:

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:37 am

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
... look at it! it's gorgeous!

I know...just like Storm Surge. :roll:

Slappy McGuire
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:53 pm

It's really quite difficult to look at these pics and not imagine the same sort of scenario as happened with Michael Jacksons face - would it really have been worse without all of the tinkering?

The rides the park have installed are all decent rides, but if the park was getting over a million visitors with essentially a log flume, rapids, slide and fishy coaster - then why hasn't the almost Chelsea-like spending brought them the league (i.e. 3m plus visitors) so to speak? My only real theory is that in centring in on the tweenage market, they've forgotten that there is no such thing as a bad pound, and to cut off the family market will one day be an error the park will be left to repent and to try and claw back, much as Blackpool, (it's absent father) does these days.
Last edited by Slappy McGuire on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:06 am

"Slappy McGuire" wrote:
It's really quite difficult to look at these pics and not imagine the same sort of scenario as happened with Michael Jacksons face - would it really have been worse without all of the tinkering?

The rides the park have installed are all decent rides, but if the park was getting over a million visitors with essentially a log flume, rapids, slide and fishy coaster - then why hasn't the almost Chelsea-like spending brought them the league (i.e. 3m plus visitors) so to speak? My only real theory is that in centring in on the tweenage market, they've forgotten that there is no such thing as a bad pound, and to cut off the family market will one day be an error the park will be left to repent and to try and claw back, much s Blackpool, (it's absent father) does these days.

In the long term they want to re-capture the family market again.

That's what was said during an educational talk I went to. The guy even admitted that half their visitors were chavs which were putting off families.

DiogoJ42

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:11 am

Well they only have themselves to blame for that. They deliberately attract the chav market :roll:

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:23 am

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
They deliberately attract the chav market :roll:

Its disappointing. The place could have a lot of potential as a family park once again. Yes, even with Chessington down the road.

Clearly there is a market for two top class family parks in the London area. The success of both Thorpe and Chessington in the early 90's in terms of gate figures proves this.

Slappy McGuire
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:37 pm

I was at Blackpool Pleasure Beach yesterday, having not been in three years, and the difference in the park is astonishing, having rid itself of a good deal of chavs, and reclaimed the family market. Busy, tidy, and generally a fun place to be - the latter being something Thorpe struggles with, if your visitor isn't into big loud coasters.

There is no problem having chavs and teens in your park, as long as the rest of the market aren't excluded; Thorpe really should be attracting the same sort of visitors as Alton with it's location, past and portfolio, so to me it says so much that it doesn't. I would have a huge task to persuade my wife to return to the park with the kids for quite some time, based on last year's experience; my 9 year old son was too small for most of the big rides, too tall for the small rides in the now departed octopus garden, and really 'beach' aside, there really isn't a lot to do otherwise - he managed to get on precisely two rides.

If a return to the family market is the long term plan, then it really cant come soon enough...although I have a funny feeling that both my nine year old and his younger brother will be riding the likes of Nemesis Inferno long before that happens...

Cheese

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:20 pm

:shock:

I'd seen maps of Thorpe as it used to be before and was surprised at how I only recognised a few rides and features, but seeing this brochure is utterly staggering.

What did Tussauds do to the place, and more importantly, how could they do such a thing? It may have been light on thrills, but it looked like a wholesome, pleasant place to take a family to for an enjoyable day out. Now I doubt you could find a park much further from that.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 pm

The most intriguing part of the brochure is this line:

"Canada Creek is probably the largest man-made canyon in the world".

:shock:

Charlee
TT Member
TT Member

Thorpe Park - The Past

Tue May 01, 2012 7:11 pm

I think out of all the parks in the UK Thorpe has the most upsetting history :(

Memories of riding the old Flying Fish with my nan were the best :(

Has anyone else got any old memories of Thorpe when it was aimed at families?
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.