UK theme parks from another point of view!

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park History

Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Yes...

I remember my dad dragging me into Phantom Fantasia - and I remember the hallway as you turned to the right being very green! 

I remember The Magic Mill - and enjoying The Frog Chorus (the day I found the song on a cassette tape was very exciting)

I remember The Flying Fish too...

I remember thinking the park was terrible. :)
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Charlee
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 8:24 pm

nickhutson wrote:
I remember thinking the park was terrible. :)

I was the opposite, I thought the park was the best and that Alton was aweful :P

I was such a stupid child :|
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.

JoshC.
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Thinking about 'The Great Thorpe Park' as it was sometimes known as makes me feel old, which is sorta depressing for an 18 year old.

I remember Thunder River and get soaked on the waterfall bit (which has now disappeared after it broke).  I remember being scared that 'The Berry People' might try and kidnap me when it was rethemed into Ribena Rumba Rapids (ah, I miss the days of being an 8 year old with an over active imagination...).

Pirates 4D, vague memories of Cinema 180, Dare Devil Dodgems and the mini golf course also spring to mind as things I liked and remember having slight disappointment over their closures. 

I hated Wicked Witch Haunt because of the huge spider at the end - scared the life outta me. 

God, I could go on for AGES about all my memories, and probably will do at another point, but a bit pressed for time at the mo...

Ah, memories...  :cry:
Who is Lez Cougan?
I am Lez Cougan.
We are Lez Cougan.

djtruefitt

Tue May 01, 2012 9:28 pm

The memories I have of Thorpe park as a child was the paddling pools near the enterance and the deaph charge (which I think was pretty much new when I visited). Apart from that I dont remember any more of Thrope park!

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Ah - Cinema 180... you've (might have) just solved a major conundrum that's been rattling around my brain for about 20 years.  I remember seeing a 3D film there with my parents and being absolutely terrified as it was a car crash done in 3D.  Can anyone shed any light on that?!
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

WildMouse
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Cine 180 wasn't 3D. Films were projected onto a dome shaped screen. The only film that I can recall seeing involved a fire engine speeding (obviously) around various streets and country lanes before smashing into a pram. I remember having to hold onto the grab rail to stop myself from falling over!

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 8:20 am

Charlee wrote:
I think out of all the parks in the UK Thorpe has the most upsetting history :(

Memories of riding the old Flying Fish with my nan were the best :(

Has anyone else got any old memories of Thorpe when it was aimed at families?

I remember queueing an hour for Flying Fish on a wet weekend visit in 1999. That same year we couldn't get a ride on Mr Monkeys Banana Ride as someone had been sick, the golf course was fun and we re-rode Thunder River 7/8 times. Loggers was busy, Wicked Witches Haunt was interesting and spooky, the Mini golf course was okay and the Bumper Boats was just bizarre.

That year, huge construction boards had cut up the park as apparently, Europes highest water ride was being built near Depth Charge..
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Rowe

Wed May 02, 2012 11:02 am

Thorpe Park has had a very dramatic change since I first visited in 1999/2000.

I recall Tidal Wave and X:\NWO being incredibly prominent rides on the skyline from entering the park via the Dome alongside the steady shift into a thrill park. It was a good family park for what was left (Ranger County, Wicked Witches' Haunt, the Farm, Model World etc) and it catered to that target market very well despite Chessington and Legoland being just around the corner.

I have a vivid memory of Wicked Witches' Haunt's old cackling Witch animatronic at the front of the ride, which sadly terrified me so much that I didn't even want to step inside and that applies to the Haunted House pre-Duel, alongside Mr Rabbit's Tropical Travels. My visit was definitely before that shocking July fire in 2000.

Then there was Pirates 4D, the impressive Model World and the dock for the Waterbus, the Farm, the Railway, the old play area in Canada Creek aka Fort Ontario and Calgary Stampede which looked like an amazing flat ride before Samurai took its place. I also recall the Thorpe Belle being in use on the lake and being confused as to whether it was a ride or not.

markfranklin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 12:50 pm

I can recall visiting Thorpe Park on a few occasions many years ago, probably early-mid 80's.  It was a decent family park, and had some more gentle things such as the Magic Mill. 

My favourite was Phantom Phantasia, and I was delighted just recently to find a video of the ride on YouTube (also Magic Mill).

Cinema 180 had two films running, IIRC, on alternate showings.  There was the fire engine one and also I do seem to recall something about a crash.  There were some rollercoasters features, plus a powerboat weaving around moored boats in a harbour.

And who can forget the Treasure Island train ride, when it stopped and you watched live pirates who would end up throwing water at the passengers!

I went again in the late 90's and enjoyed some of the newer things that had emerged since the 80's, especially Detonator.

I have been going there for the last 2-3 years quite a lot since getting an Annual Pass, but it doesn't have the same draw for kids now.  I take my daughter (who is now 5) and she used to love the Canada Creek Railway and Octopus's Garden with various little kiddie rides.  It wasn't much but alongside the Carousel and the Arcade machines it was enough to keep her entertained.  Now that both of those former elements have gone, Thorpe will lose more of my business, which is a great shame.

I may pop in at the weekend though, as I would like to see Swarm and other changes since the 2011 season.

Do I remember years ago at Thorpe they had bikes that you could try and ride down a line to win a prize - the challenge being they were fixed so it went left if you steered right and vice versa - or was that somswhere else?

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 1:42 pm

markfranklin wrote:
Do I remember years ago at Thorpe they had bikes that you could try and ride down a line to win a prize - the challenge being they were fixed so it went left if you steered right and vice versa - or was that somswhere else?

Well, don't know about years ago, but they certainly had those for most of last season.

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 pm

TB2 wrote:
Charlee wrote:
I think out of all the parks in the UK Thorpe has the most upsetting history :(

Memories of riding the old Flying Fish with my nan were the best :(

Has anyone else got any old memories of Thorpe when it was aimed at families?

I remember queueing an hour for Flying Fish on a wet weekend visit in 1999. That same year we couldn't get a ride on Mr Monkeys Banana Ride as someone had been sick, the golf course was fun and we re-rode Thunder River 7/8 times. Loggers was busy, Wicked Witches Haunt was interesting and spooky, the Mini golf course was okay and the Bumper Boats was just bizarre.

That year, huge construction boards had cut up the park as apparently, Europes highest water ride was being built near Depth Charge..

1 Hour for the flying fish !!! I've seen 30 minutes in 2010 and I was surprised :) normally its hop on

SpinballEdders

Wed May 02, 2012 8:01 pm

One memory I have of going to Thorpe is that back in no earlier than 2000 I was queueing for Tidal Wave and I finally got to the front and fond out I was too short.

Worst Thorpe trip for me :P

JoshC.
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 pm

markfranklin wrote:

Yeah, these are quite recent, as Islander said.  They were outside the arcade the last couple of seasons, but now it's moved next to the loony ladders for this year.. :)

Speaking about weird bikes, I wonder if anyone remembers the 'Bronco Bikes' (I think that's what they were called / known as) that were around in the earlier parts of the 90s?  Think they were around where X is now.. :P
Last edited by JoshC. on Wed May 02, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is Lez Cougan?
I am Lez Cougan.
We are Lez Cougan.

markfranklin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Bronco Bikes!  That was exactly what I was remembering from the old old days!  Well remembered.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 8:03 pm

I remember the Fungle Safari. I remember it just going round slowly, and then it came past the NI shop, and I thought it was a dark ride bit, and got excited. It was rubbish.
Oh, and I remember Loggers Leap, as it was the first time I ever felt airtime. Good times.  :D

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 8:33 pm

I think they should not - black hole - I mean abandon the fungle safari site. They need a flat there like on the MTDP

opulentrich
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - The Past

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:33 pm

I used to love Phantom Phantasia and Space Station Zero (The Flying Fish themed as a space ship ride in the dark with OTSRs for those that don't know) as a kid in the 80s. Does anyone else remember it ? All I've found so far is one photo ...

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:44 am

^My mum used to love Phantom Phantasia, can't say I was alive to go on :(
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

MerlinFan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:47 pm

I loved Phantom Phantasia/Wicked Witches Haunt - very sad day when it burnt down... wish they would bring back something like that but make it a laser shooting game like Terror Tomb and Duel.

I have many fond memories of Thorpe Park as a kid - I was a member of the Thorpe Park Rangers Club and I remember my Frisbee - also had a belt with pictures of the Thorpe Park Rangers on it which I loved!

I adored the Cap'n Andy show and the Rangers Show. I also remember Carousel Kingdom's double decker carousel (which was beautiful) and Model Village. I have faint memories of the Treasure Island Pirate show which you saw from the train. I even remember going to the farm on boats rather than the train and this was really exciting! Such a shame they stopped the farm as an attraction - was always lovely to visit and they had a good gift shop.

I do remember loving the Magic Mill ride - the bit inside the shed with the frogs singing was magical for a child. I remember my parents' friend getting into trouble for rocking the boat and splashing us with water haha.

Those were the days but I like to think that as I've grown up, Thorpe Park grew up with me and kept me coming back year on year. I love the coasters and thrill ride approach - I think it's needed as Chessington now has the family market (it used to be the other way round). It keeps Thorpe a bit quieter - one of the things I don't like about Alton Towers (especially since the introduction of CBeebies Land) is the swarms of pushchair brigades clogging up the park - I don't have kids so am not that interested in the family friendly side of things. I want thrills and Thorpe Park caters well for an older market. Seeing that brochure made me realise how old I'm getting now lol - but really old rides like Depth Charge (now 24 years old! I remember when it was first opened!) and Loggers Leap are still excellent fun. I've even been known to have the odd ride on The Flying Fish just for nostalgia's sake...

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Was a gravel pit before a theme park, parts of plane debris fell around 1973 when a plane crashed at Heathrow, my mum and grandma lived a short walk away, and my mum who was young at the time got thrown in a ditch around the park , and part of a plane on fire came down and landed on thorpe, also look how empty it used to look, found this online http://s740.photobucket.com/user/Thrill ... o.jpg.html
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net