UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Blizzard
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thorpe Park - Shark Hotel Discussion

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Im supprised thorpe does not already have a hotel! If you ask me, I think they need one. It would be fantasic for those who very rarely visit thorpe & live far away (Like me). It would complete the experience :D It could be well themed & planned out, maybe even a waterpark too!
For the amount of people who go to thorpe, im sure they have plenty of money! What do you guys think?

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park Hotel

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:52 pm

There are plans to build one which can be viewed online, as far as i'm aware its due to open in 2013.

:)

Blizzard
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:57 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:
There are plans to build one which can be viewed online, as far as i'm aware its due to open in 2013.

Where can I find them?

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Rollercoaster5000
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 am

The hotel was also mentioned in the new MTDP. Yes it will be opening in 2013. A member of another forum who had a lecture from the park management confirmed that and mentioned that construction will begin soon and that contractors are already on site.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Can't believe how bland that hotel looks. Why no more themed hotels?

I hope Altons 3rd hotel will be as spectacular as AT and Splash.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Think the hotel is bland because it'll be heavily relying on business travellers on weekdays and closed season than from park guests (much like chessington HI has been since opening, although its concentrating far more on the park guests now).

Lego ones are themed (it'd be an outrage if it wasn't!), and hopefully towers will be as well. They don't have heathrow business people to rely on ;)

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:59 pm

"thefatone" wrote:
Think the hotel is bland because it'll be heavily relying on business travellers on weekdays and closed season than from park guests (much like chessington HI has been since opening, although its concentrating far more on the park guests now).

Lego ones are themed (it'd be an outrage if it wasn't!), and hopefully towers will be as well. They don't have heathrow business people to rely on ;)

The exterior of the Lego hotel looks exactly the same as Thorpe's with the small glass roof towers with the flag on top - only difference is the multicoloured Lego blocks for the entrance feature. I think maybe they are just generic designs?

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thorpe Park Hotel

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Here's something we missed: at the end of October (28th to be precise), Thorpe Park re-submitted their hotel plans to Runnymede Borough Council.

You can see the planning documents here.

I can't quite tell how much more 'definitive' these are than previously, but from what I made out these are alterations to plans submitted back in 2007 or so. Any which way, they strike me as significant, as they suggest Thorpe are drawing ever nearer to building their hotel.

Some interesting cuttings:

Here's how the hotel fits in with the rest of the park - it sits on the old Cemex site, to the side of the current car park.

Here's a closer look at the site plan, showing the shape of the thing and one or two features like the restaurant and car parking. Seems they plan to build it in two phases: 150 rooms first, then another 100 rooms later on.

Here're some elevations. Looks rather higher quality than what I'd immediately associate with Thorpe's target clientèle to be honest... wouldn't a cheap Travelodge equivalent suite the market better? Meh.

Click for larger image. Here's an updated MTDP, with the sites of future developments marked out. Interesting...

SpinballEdders

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:18 pm

i like the idea of a hotel at thorpe, but the park will be EVEN MORE busy if it's ever built.

djtruefitt

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Get ready for Thorpe Park Resort soon then! Hotels must be working for Merlin, two at Alton, the new one at Legoland soon and the Chessie one, so I suppose its only time before Thorpe got one.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Thorpe Park Hotel

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Looks a lot like the design of AT Hotel in a way (from the outside)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 pm

I suspect this is going to try to attract conferences as a major revenue stream, I can't see Thorpe's target market having the sort of disposable income to make it success otherwise. Also, the very idea of a "health club" at Thorpe Park is hilarious.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Thorpe Park Hotel

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:07 pm

The idea of a health club or spa at any theme park seems laughable really though doesn't it?

ImageImage

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:18 pm

It works at Alton Towers and Chessington! And if we look further afield Europa Park, Universal, Disneyworld/Land etc too!

It isn't necessarily going to be aimed at park guests. It's primarily a business hotel and Health Clubs and Spas are pretty essential to succeeding in this area.
Last edited by Adz on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:18 pm

I dunno, seems to work quite well at Towers.

I suspect John is right, though what company would want to host a conference at a venue with Thorpe's brand identity is beyond me. Perhaps the Hotel will be branded entirely differently? Would be very difficult to pull off without clashing...

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 pm

You'd be very surprised at the amount of corporate clients Thorpe Park has. It's a big money maker and being able to offer a hotel stay in addition to this is a winner in that market.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:41 pm

Why do TP even need a hotel? The park isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere, and there are lots of Travel Lodge style hotels nearby.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Exactly the reasons above. It is not for park guests. It's for corporate clients.

Park guests using it is just an added bonus, just like the Chessington Hotel.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Thorpe Park Hotel

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:53 am

Islander, Thorpe's brand identity may be pretty shoddy to people like us but it doesn't stop it being a massive attraction to employees of businesses who hold a conference there...

ImageImage