UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details. Applications close tonight at 10pm.

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: X:\ No Way Out

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 pm

alicheesy wrote:
Of course being a massive X fan I'm very sad about this (rave coaster wooo), but hopefully it'll be good.

I think having an indoor horror ride next to an indoor horror ride may be a bit much and I would've preferred a revamped X with better lights, theming and audio.

RIP X, forever in our hearts ;_;

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

alicheesy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Dan wrote:
alicheesy wrote:
Of course being a massive X fan I'm very sad about this (rave coaster wooo), but hopefully it'll be good.

I think having an indoor horror ride next to an indoor horror ride may be a bit much and I would've preferred a revamped X with better lights, theming and audio.

RIP X, forever in our hearts ;_;

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You're crying on the inside
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Noooo.....

X was the one family coaster at Thorpe, And it's by far the tamest ride I've been on. Why are they retheming it, it literally just got a refurb in summer...

Also when I rode X I loved it not because it had any force or anything, just because it was a cool rave with the New IMAScore soundtrack. 

RIP X.

Typical Merlin, Refurbing an attraction just to refurb it shortly after and putting a horror theme on a family coaster... Ooh look Shipping Containers as well...
[Insert Signature Here]

alicheesy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:08 pm

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Noooo.....

X was the one family coaster at Thorpe, And it's by far the tamest ride I've been on. Why are they retheming it, it literally just got a refurb in summer...

Also when I rode X I loved it not because it had any force or anything, just because it was a cool rave with the New IMAScore soundtrack. 

RIP X.

Typical Merlin, Refurbing an attraction just to refurb it shortly after and putting a horror theme on a family coaster... Ooh look Shipping Containers as well...

Flying fish is a thrill coaster? XD
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:10 pm

It's an odd decision as others have said it's very popular among younger guests, so to have it receive ANOTHER scary IP is... disappointing to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I love horror, but I feel that too many horror rides in one park isn't exactly fun...

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Of course we need to be optimistic and hopefully some nice theming will be put inside that immerses you in to the world of Walking Dead..

However, once again Merlin will probably spray dark paint all over it to make it 'dilapidated', stick a shipping container in and do a half arsed job on theming as always. ANOTHER horror themed attraction is getting ridiculous, especially when you have DBGT next door, Swarm one side of the park, and Saw just down the way with a similar looking barbed wire queue line.

Once again the rest of the park is not being considered when having a balanced mix of unique themes and attractions.

At least the ingrained chewing gum throughout the queueline will fit in now.. yawn.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm not at all looking forward to this whatsoever. A good, fun, recently refurbished family attraction is turning into something dark and depressing, to fit even less in the surrounding area. Thorpe Park was starting to go back to it's good old roots, with a higher focus on family fun rather than apocalyptic, unnecessarily scary themes, and with this, I have a feeling it will look and be a complete utter mess.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 pm

The comments about a retheme of a family coaster are very valid. I didn't consider this initially, however it makes this an even more obscure decision. A couple of years ago, Thorpe was trying to target the family market, it seems they are going back on this now. Perhaps they are trying to make the park a mini Universal Studios?

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 pm

If they are putting a Walking Dead theme on this, then it's getting theming on the ride (Or VR), So I guess that is a plus and I guess all the party lights will be turned to white and red then. 
[Insert Signature Here]

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:20 pm

I’m getting pretty fed up with Merlín to be honest. Yet another horror theme and an IP. It’s just laziness and using a gimmick for the sake of it. I do like the Walking Dead but if you’re not a fan, you won’t understand the theme so it seems a silly move to remove a family themed ride (which, in comparison to the other rides on offer, the park is lacking) and replace it with yet another unimaginative, dark-themed ride. 

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:54 pm

As it stands the retheme will not include VR.

The budget is substantial enough for some pretty cool interior theming. :)

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:53 am

I’m personally really excited about it!

No matter what it is or isn’t themed too I am expecting a decent amount of theming with this which to me, puts it leagues above the metal laser box we have now!

2018 is going to be an awesome year for UK parks!

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm still quite confused as to why they are rethemeing a family ride to such a potentially dark story. If they do go with the highly rumoured Walking Dead, then I can see people being quite dissapointed as they'll naturally expect some sort of thrill coaster or a Spiderman type attraction based on the target age.

I guess Thorpe can argue they have the kids market covered with Angry Birds. I have always felt a little sorry for them in that aspect as the competition from Lego and Chessie must be fierce. However X as a ride has always been a good middle ground to larger coasters and such a dark theme will make parents and children hesitant.

Joel Allen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Owen wrote:
I’m personally really excited about it!

No matter what it is or isn’t themed too I am expecting a decent amount of theming with this which to me, puts it leagues above the metal laser box we have now!

2018 is going to be an awesome year for UK parks!

Actually, me too! I think X would benefit greatly from this refurbishment. I wonder what the future holds...

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:00 pm

The Walking Dead is 18+, and X has a height restriction that the average 4 year old will pass. Seems a bit odd to me. Plus I like it's current theme, and I don't like IPs or too many horror themes. So I cannot get excited about this one unfortunately!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm also with the people who aren't keen on the refurb as if it is a Walking Dead theme, then it's a bit of horror/dark story overkill. I would have preferred Thorpe to keep X as it is with the rave/disco theme but also concentrate on renovating the rest of the park which I thought at times could really do with a good spruce up.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:08 am

I do not agree with refurbishing X to the Walking Dead. I feel as if the points have been repeated a lot but it is so illogical. I feel as if they're taking away all the rides aimed at a younger audience, and, with logger's leap being closed frequently, I feel as if there's nothing to cater to the demographic that isn't ready for rollercoasters but finds flying fish too tame. 
Along with that, zombies feel like a trend which is slowly dying out. I feel as if the past years of overuse has started to create a fatigue of them. The walking dead also seems like a strange choice, since the show itself is already in season 8 and the Universal parks already have attractions dedicated to them. Personally, it doesn't make sense for Merlin to take on a property already covered by Universal. Although Merlin does better scaremazes (in my opinion), I feel as if it would be impossible to take on a Universal dark ride. 

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:45 am

I think there would have been better way to impliment The Walking Dead IP than retheming X, Such as retheming one of the flats and giving them some attention or retheme I'm a Celebrity. If you put a dark theme on a ride peoplecare going to expect high levels of adrenline, X isn't an adrenline filled ride and unless they have some sort of theming prepared to scare the rider, It's going to turn out like Th13teen all over again. 

I guess a good thing now with X is that it'll be better themed even if it is a generic Merlin theme.
[Insert Signature Here]

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:42 am

I did think that it was an odd decision to make this a thrill ride again however after thinking about it I can see why. Thorpe Park really doesn’t have much of an audience below 1.4M and so really this does make sense, not to mention X was never a family coaster to begin with. I personally don’t like The Walking Dead, however I also don’t like Saw - but the ride I love! The way this could be executed with theming from the pre-show to the exit could see this be an awesome little ride. So fir me, this theme is very much a ‘wait and see’ scenario.

The one thing that bothers me is you are putting a popular IP and high quality theming onto a ride that gets big queues even now. So the queues are going to be horrid!

Maybe I am being too positive, but for me 2018 is shaping up to be a great year!
Last edited by Owen on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 am

The thing is, however much Merlin may want to deny it, there are lots of families and younger children who do come to the resort, and with this news, that's one less ride for them to do.