UK theme parks from another point of view!

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Re: X:\ Let's find out...

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:29 am

Alex.D wrote:
Well the ride itself has stayed pretty much the same. The queue-line has been rejigged so many times though... Loosing many cool bits of theming. :( I missed those robots in the queue.

I miss the robots too! I know that part of the old queue is now what is used at Fright Nights for The Passing. I'd just love to see what people thought about the ride in it's opening year, i'd love to have ridden it.  :)

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

X: Let's find out...

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:39 am

I remember the 'original' ride so well. The robots climbing out of the walls (later half-sprayed red/orange and used for the 3D Freakshow maze and then used on the break run inside the ride). There were TV's dotted about (some upside down), helicopter sound FX, weird robot things behind glass panels, very dark, revolving tunnel, a 'lift' before you got on. And the backwards thing was a but of a surprise, seeing as the car was in the station when the lift doors opened.

The ride itself was ok too, but that didn't change much (except we used to have a ORP, of which I have 3 I think).

But saying that, I think the new upgrade was well-needed and a great improvement on the ride that it became.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Re: X:\ No Way Out

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi Folks

I realise that X has just been refurbished and has also had its concept and theming updated/ changed however I still think it is in a ghastly state and its space could be utilised for a new ride.

X is located in The Lost City although its theme has no relevance to its location and I think it would be beneficial for the attraction to undergo a complete overhaul to develop X into a new Lost City themed dark ride. The idea below is purely a rough written representation of what I would like to see replace X and does not describe technical systems of my idea. My idea would circulate around the Aztec Creation Story and The first Sun - Jaguar Sun (Nahui Ocelotl)

The Sun was the key to the cycles in the Aztec Creation Story. In Aztec beliefs the Sun could only be created by the sacrifice of a god. In Aztec myth The god chosen was Tezcatlipoca. The ride would follow the storyline of the "Temple Of Nuhui" which is harbouring the Sun that is needed to bring light and warmth to The Lost City, hence your adventure through its ruined walls. Although the Aztec Theme does not fit The Lost City theme perfectly I think the ride would add an extra storyline to The Lost City and make use of wasted space currently used by X. The exterior of the ride would include a large ruined temple façade to give a more dynamic and adventurous look to the pyramid shaped building. Other exterior theming could include Aztec carvings, symbols and lush jungle foliage to create a mysterious atmosphere. The centre piece of the Aztec Pyramid/Temple would be a large stone sun placed at the top of the temple; complete with strings of ivy cascading down from its centre.This theming element could glow or shoot mist based effects at frequent intervals . This would allow the new ride to accommodate its own theme although blend with the jungle theming that is incorporated into The Lost City area of Thorpe Park.

The queue would be a major part of the rides theming, however it would keep the format of the existing queue layout. The first corridor you enter while progressing through the queue would have multiple stone arches along its course embedded with red and green pulsing mood lights. The walls either side of the first corridor would be heavily decorated with Aztec style, temple bricks and statues to give the impression that you are inside an ancient temple. The second long corridor (that turns left) would also adopt the Aztec style wall facades but the ceiling would be covered in jungle /canopy theming to give the impression that the jungle is overwhelming and consuming the temple. This area would also be swamped by green lighting. This level of theming would continue through the remaining corridors until guests reach the two tiered queue line. The two tiered queue line room would use 3D projection mapping screens (similar to those used in the Smiler's Queue) and project images of the temple walls swaying and bricks slotting in and out of their places; giving the impression of the temple collapsing. This would hopefully add a further dimension to the queue line experience. The baggage hold area would have a stone façade framing the window in which the staff stand and the whole room would be decorated with stone Sun tiles to continue the Sun theme. The stations ceiling would have oil lamps dangling from draped ivy strands and it would also have jagged ruined walls surrounding the station boundary and ride operative booth.

The rides storyline would be as follows; The Lost City was once riddled with bloodshed and battles as two tribes wished to gain ownership of the jungle settlement due to its protection by the God Colossus, keeping all who lived within it safe. Soon the Tribe of Zodiac were banished into the unforgiving and tangled forest in which many tribesmen perished. Tezcatlipoca was outraged at the out casting of his beloved tribe and he vowed to take revenge upon the Rush Tribe. Tezcatlipoca built a grand and beautiful temple on the outskirts of The Lost City and used his "Nuhui" rituals to summon the Sun deep into the heart of his impenetrable fort, killing the rush tribe and gaining ownership of the city. Now in the 21st Century adventurers are needed to prove the myth of "The Temple of Nuhui" and brave the Treacherous pyramid to release the sun once again.

The ride layout would be a compact Intamin Spinning coaster that would replace the current small roller coaster that resides in the pyramid. The ride would use a large stone Sun theming element that the spinning coaster would helix around multiple times. The Sun theming element would flash strobe lights at riders, spray them with water and emit smoke during the course of the ride. The ride would also include near misses with the colossal face of Tezcatlipoca which would be momentarily illuminated while the ride car passes under it. Many near misses; illuminated theming elements and projections would give the effect of progressing through the ancient temple while being bombarded by Tezcatlipoca's defensive mechanisms.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this concept and I would appreciate it if you gave your opinions.

Thank You

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:54 pm

I can't remember exactly what was said about X at Southern Screamer, but i could have sworn the bloke said something along the lines of;

Its in a progressive refurbishment and it is currently either in stage 2 or in its final stage. I can't remember what stage he said. But i see you point. But a pyramid, generally, has a bit of a 'Lost City' vibe to it. Your concept is good, but you also need to remember its TP and themeing isn't really their strongest area.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Dom wrote:
I can't remember exactly what was said about X at Southern Screamer, but i could have sworn the bloke said something along the lines of;

Its in a progressive refurbishment and it is currently either in stage 2 or in its final stage. I can't remember what stage he said. But i see you point. But a pyramid, generally, has a bit of a 'Lost City' vibe to it. Your concept is good, but you also need to remember its TP and themeing isn't really their strongest area.

I agree the ride would need to have a lot of time and effort invested into the creation and instillation of theming elements however I feel Thorpe Park have some excellent themed rides. The Swarm and Saw have exceptional theming but it depends whether Thorpe Park would be willing to theme a large scale Dark Ride.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
Dom wrote:

I agree the ride would need to have a lot of time and effort invested into the creation and instillation of theming elements however I feel Thorpe Park have some excellent themed rides. The Swarm and Saw have exceptional theming but it depends whether Thorpe Park would be willing to theme a large scale Dark Ride.

There are rumours circulating that a Dark ride is planned, but whether this rumours are true or not have yet to be seen. The themeing on those rides is good, but it could be so much better too. As for X i quite like the themeing on it. The light effects in some places are awesome.

Jamie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:34 pm

X is a good little dark coaster. I would prefer a highly themed experience, but as it is it's good fun (even if I did prefer X:/ No Way Out).

Hari
TT Member
TT Member

X:/ No Way Out Puke Issues

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Hey guys!
I was on my way out of X the other day and me and my brother were talking about going on Stealth next and an X ride engineer came out of the mech bay (I got to see it and it looked pretty cool). He said 'Better get there quick, that ride gets so busy'. He then started talking to us about how X used to be as popular as stealth in the 90's. He had obviously worked at thorpe for a long time. I said 'I preferred it when the ride went backwards'. He then abruptly replied 'I bloody didn't! You should have seen how much puke there was man!' He then went on to saying that the park payed £18,000 to get the puke cleaned up eventually....
I see why they changed it now...

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:38 am

ew lmao

Hari
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:18 am

I know right xD

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:14 pm

I quite like the new rave concept. My only criticism would be that they turned the music down on Sunday when I went, so I think that a little more volume would have been good (the previous time it was at the point where one could hear it outside of the building) and there seemed to be less lights. Maybe its just me, but I think they made it more calm and collected.
Credit to NemesisRider for an absolutely amazing signature, 100/10, definitely would recommend!

It's because I'm Batman!

Paul_richard
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:53 pm

TheBeast wrote:
I quite like the new rave concept. My only criticism would be that they turned the music down on Sunday when I went, so I think that a little more volume would have been good (the previous time it was at the point where one could hear it outside of the building) and there seemed to be less lights. Maybe its just me, but I think they made it more calm and collected.

Music on X has been turned down because of Cabin In The Woods maze, that was the explanation we got given. I know last year people said it was too loud for Fright Nights.

Smiffy107
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:19 pm

I went on X no way out on my last visit to thorpe park some time last year, I think the change in theming was a good move, I never really could enjoy it going backwards, been on it several times since they changed it and I LOVE it even more than I used to, although something has GOT to be said about the walk through the queue area inside to get to the ride, some parts are pitch black and you keep bumping into the walls, its a bit of a nightmare honestly lol!
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'

Kleo
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:54 pm

I can remember going on this ride when I first visited Thorpe Park six years ago and really hating the ride. I went on Friday and my nephew dragged me on it with him. I didn't realise at the time that it had changed and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with the changes. I'm not sure why but on the day we went they were not allowing people to queue inside (not sure if that is normal?) but letting people in groups at a time. The queue line I must admit wasn't very good and towards the end of the day was filled with rubbish which is a shame. I hope they do something with the queue line to make it better. The ride however was such an improvement to what I remember from the old ride. We ended up on it about 5 times as it was pretty much a walk on ride we enjoyed it that much.
Thank You NemesisRider for my signature :)

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Only visited Thorpe for the first time last year, read up a bit first and heard this ride was recently changed. The other people I went with had been before, and none of them wanted to go on X til I told them it had been rejiggered at some point. We rode it and was good fun :) especially for a friend who's not a roller coaster fan. General opinion seems to be forwards and flashy is better.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:36 pm

It does seem a lot better going forwards, and the effects/theme is great, I love it even though it's small!
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

alicheesy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:22 pm

I think that forwards is a great improvement and the lights are amazing; especially the bit where it appears like a tunnel. The music is also great as it includes some of my favourite songs, although in agreement with TheBeast, it is way too quiet. (But that doesn't stop me raving) When it is removed I will be rather devastated. :tears:
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever

daveclarkedaveclarke
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:49 pm

I've only been to Thorpe twice and got on xnwo both times, I describe it as different to anyone that asks. I think it works with Thorpe's target audience.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:53 pm

I do like X:/ No Way Out, I don't really know why they renamed it though... whats the difference with calling it X? I know they changed it but why...?
Credit to NemesisRider for an absolutely amazing signature, 100/10, definitely would recommend!

It's because I'm Batman!

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Maybe because people didn't realise it was changed, and might think it's a completely new ride in there? Maybe just to emphasise that it was changed.