UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Qzzb_UK
TT Member
TT Member

Re: X:\ No Way Out

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't see the big deal. If they are doing this, which I don't really think its a good idea - zombies and rollercoasters seem a little pointless to be - but whats the big issue with the family thing? Chessington is literally down the road so would it not make more sense to focus one on families and one on the older market anyway? Yeah some younger kids might want to go to Thorpe and might be closer but thats how it works. Sure some kids want too watch older films but can't - same with the parks surely??

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Exactly Quzzb_UK. I don’t think we should expect every park to be completely rounded and I think it’s a fair move. Chessington doesn’t cater for the thrill market and isn’t expected to so I see no reason why Thorpe can’t do the same. :)

I also don’t think it’s a case of Merlin denying anything ThemeCrafter. I for one don’t recall seeing any very young kids at Thorpe much last year, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 visits...

Joel Allen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:50 pm

I do agree that X’s refurbishment is a good thing. It will really bring some life back into the area. Bring on 2018!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Well I guess Zombie's can be classed as life :P

Joel Allen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:17 pm

I guess they are a little dead... just a little :lol

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:21 pm

The beach was absolutely packed and there were still quite a lot of younger people, when I visited. At the end of the day, X was an attraction for both children, teenagers and adults. This will mostly cater for the latter two groups. As good as it sounds in theory, parks shouldn't just cater for just thrill seekers because there will be lots of disappointed people, like me honestly 4 years ago, where I left the park 1 hour early, something I would never do now.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Thorpe Park has done perfectly fine catering for the thrill market for years now, X has only been a family coaster for 5 out of its 21 years remember.

With Chessington and Legoland being within half an hour of Thorpe there needs to be something unique for all of them, and for Thorpe it’s that it is based toward the teenage market and Chessington the children’s market. As far as I see it is with or without X there isn’t really much to allow for a younger person to stay an entire day and so they can go to Chessington which offers much better attractions for the age range.

In all honesty Thorpe have targeted the thrill market since 2002 (1996 if you count X:\ No Way Out) with the little break in 2014&15 and so I don’t understand why it’s come as such a shock that they’re remaining to do that now.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 pm

I mean it isn't shocking that this got a dark theme, I guess. It does kinda make sense for Thorpe to be catering to an older demographic as its special thing. I think the weird thing is that they gave such a childish ride a dark theme. If it was a new roller coaster or walk around attraction, I guess it would make more sense, but I think the fact that it is such a staple of the younger attractions is why there is all the outrage. Not only that, but the current X theme was a theme that people liked and worked well with the ride. I feel as if people wouldn't be as annoyed if it was something like I'm a celebrity because that one wasn't as important to people, it wasn't around as long and it wasn't as popular (I think). You have to take into account that many people are respectful of X and find it perfect the way it is (with of course quite a few flaws but nothing as bad as a Walking dead retheme). 

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:07 pm

saw-x-smile wrote:
You have to take into account that many people are respectful of X and find it perfect the way it is (with of course quite a few flaws but nothing as bad as a Walking dead retheme). 

That may be the case, but is it really that wise to base an opinion on just hearing about it? Based on that logic the current theme it sounds pretty naff and not very family friendly too - “A rollercoaster themed on a rave” :lol

I think that people should wait until they see what it’s like before calling it a bad decision, as based on what we have seen and what some are saying this could be one of the parks most interesting and well themed rollercoasters. I mean this is one of the smallest coasters at Thorpe getting a pre-show and a fully themed entrance. To me that’s really exciting! :)

Change can be a good thing! :P

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:26 am

Owen wrote:
saw-x-smile wrote:
You have to take into account that many people are respectful of X and find it perfect the way it is (with of course quite a few flaws but nothing as bad as a Walking dead retheme). 

That may be the case, but is it really that wise to base an opinion on just hearing about it? Based on that logic the current theme it sounds pretty naff and not very family friendly too - “A rollercoaster themed on a rave” :lol

I think that people should wait until they see what it’s like before calling it a bad decision, as based on what we have seen and what some are saying this could be one of the parks most interesting and well themed rollercoasters. I mean this is one of the smallest coasters at Thorpe getting a pre-show and a fully themed entrance. To me that’s really exciting! :)

Change can be a good thing! :P

Maybe you are right... We cannot tell if this is a bad idea or not until opening day. If the right team have it (and there is the possibility of this) then who knows what they might accomplish! It does have quite a lot of potential for cool set designs and an amazing queue line. And for once, those weird toxic logos might actually make sense.

You're also rather right about the rave thing. It seems at the moment to be trapped in the no mans land of themes where it's not extreme enough to fit in with the rest of the park, but it's a bit adult for children. At least with this move, it will fit in more with the post-apocalyptic, extremely dark themes of Thorpe park, which is a good thing.

The thing I'm most curious about is whether we have a Saw theme on our hands or whether it will only be in the queue... :-k

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am

A couple of new plans have been added to the application page, giving a better idea of the proposed site layout. As was already evident, the queueline will extend out into the existing pathway which runs in front of X and under Storm Surge, so it will no longer be possible to use that as a through-route. However, to retain vehicular access to this route the fencing used in this area will be removable, with another gate on the side nearest Storm Surge. With the location of the exit from the ride still in a similar location, this will mean guests will have to use the path under Storm Surge to return into the park. The plan also indicates that the existing concrete planters in X's exterior queueline will be give some form of "thematic treatment".

Something I didn't notice before is that the new queue entrance will utilise the existing concrete forms seen either side of the pathway here:

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 am

Looking at those plans, one of my concerns is the Watch Tower, which seems very small when asking passengers to drop off their bags then enter a pre-show; if it is controlled in a similar manner to DBGT. Will this be a bottleneck, therefore leading to extended queue times?

I also question how the queue line inside will be utilised? Will they send through small batches who will then board straight away? Also, will the corridors, leading to the station, be rethemed?

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm

I find it puzzling how there is a lengthy queue line leading to the station platform which could be used instead of taking up pathway outside. If it is a fire safety issue, then surely this is the time to sort it out? I wonder if they will get the air conditioning working after all these years?

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Hopefully it will be a themed corridor that just builds to the anticipation before boarding. I am not sure about the dark theme of this ride however on the whole I am looking forward to the project. Will it be better than Air's retheme however?
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 pm

It will give it a new lease of life but X has never been a great coaster, so I still feel Galactica will be the better of the two.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 am

I think this move is the perfect opportunity to turn it into a really well themed attraction. I agree that X hasn't been the greatest and must say since it lost the "No Way Out" theme and aspect of the ride, it hasn't been the best when basing it on a rave. I think this could be a really good move and transformation for the ride (if of course it is don't right ;))

I'm the boy with the bubbles

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:22 am

DeadJack5 wrote:
I think this move is the perfect opportunity to turn it into a really well themed attraction. I agree that X hasn't been the greatest and must say since it lost the "No Way Out" theme and aspect of the ride, it hasn't been the best when basing it on a rave. I think this could be a really good move and transformation for the ride (if of course it is don't right ;))

It's an interesting point about the loss of the "No Way Out," because within the plans it is called X:\NWO WD, which shows the return to the thrill side of this ride.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:42 am

While I'm not a Walking Dead fan, NWO could also stand for 'New World Order'.

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:44 am

I’m not the biggest fan of The Walking Dead or X so this project doesn’t really interest me that much. That being said, the fact this retheme will have an IP attached to it virtually guarantees the theming will be of high quality so I am looking forward to seeing what it looks like but it’s not top of my list to rush and experience.