UK theme parks from another point of view!

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Samurai for sale?

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:27 pm

A little known fact about Rush - One swing swings slightly higher and faster than the other. Though I forget which one.

You possibly were on the 'lower' swing the last ride or so you've been on? The settings have been 'optimised' though for both throughput and "ride is less likely to break down-ness" so it certainly is shorter.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:33 pm

^Nope, well aware of that. Even on the 'better' one, it's still naff compared with a couple of years ago.

In fact, I'm led to believe that the difference between the 'better' and 'worse' swing is getting larger. The ride system tries to compensate and keep both swinging in time (as if the two swings become too far out of sync it would create some nasty unbalanced forces on the structure), but in doing so just dampens the cycle further.

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Adz wrote:
A little known fact about Rush - One swing swings slightly higher and faster than the other. Though I forget which one.

I think it's the swing nearest the console :)

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Is Samurai moving?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 pm

I've just seen this video, I usually would not listen to rumors like this, but for some reason this one really makes sense and also if you consider the fact that the Mondial Top Scan was built initially to move around easily. It would really not be that hard for the park to relocate it, also to me Samurai was always in the wrong place, and if it is moving and gets a spruse up it could mean we could see it running better than ever.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2JoCz-8FZI

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Is Samurai moving?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 am

I'm not sure I see how a cosmetic spruce up would change how it's operated. Top Scans are awesome but at Thorpe Park, but flats at big parks are over before they get going to try and cope with queues. If you want to experience a Top Scan at its best you should visit the fair circuit, with The Beast at Fantasy Island also being awesome. The one at Lightwater Valley also has a good cycle and operation.

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:14 pm

A spruce up! I swear the tree behind its a spruce. I don't think it would be good near swarm. Suits where it is.

AJLlama
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I think Samurai looks completely out of place where it is now, it does either need a re-theme or moving. Or replacing for a newer model/Pair of models, imagine 2 that ran in parallel...

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:26 pm

I used to wish they'd re-theme it to fit in the SAW franchise... make it a torture machine.

Then - I rode it... I think they need to scrap it entirely.  It's painfully slow to load and unload and just a bit boring, really... Last time I did ride it, interestingly enough, was when it was the big new ride at Chessington!
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

AJLlama
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Also, the restraints do not feel safe, there's no physical seatbelt, i stilll go on it though...

Deleted
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Isnt Saw's IP "up" next year? and not being re-instated? or was that just a rumour?

Also that guy in his video mentions the cost implications on moving it. Its mounted on a lorry base underneath as its a travelling ride so the costs would be very little.
Last edited by Deleted on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:37 pm

I couldn't take the video seriously. It was like watching Michael McIntyre do a 60 seconds news roundup.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:14 am

Samurai won't move, Samurai won't get a spruce-up. It's a rumour that does the rounds every single year and nothing ever comes of it, to the point whereby I'm willing to put my neck on the line this year and say outright that it isn't happening. :)

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:11 pm

This is an interesting development, Samurai appears to be closed for maintenance until NEXT SEASON! Could this mean a re-theme, possibly a movement or something else! We will have to wait and see.

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:25 pm

It could be possible that Thorpe are FINALLY giving Samurai the attention it needs and getting it sorted for next season. They will know how popular it is and hopefully that will impact on their decision - I'm hoping it's not going anywhere! :)

xtraterrestrial
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:23 pm

It would be great for Samurai to get sorted out and some proper theming done, and while they're at it put Zodiac back to how it should look, and do something with Slammer too, but then this is Thorpe Park... it's such a shame that the whole park can't get the attention to detail that The Swarm has had this year.
www.ThemeParks-UK.com - your guide to the top 5!

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Or just get rid and use the land for a medium term investment.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:00 pm

altontowerskid wrote:
It could be possible that Thorpe are FINALLY giving Samurai the attention it needs and getting it sorted for next season. They will know how popular it is and hopefully that will impact on their decision - I'm hoping it's not going anywhere! :)

It's had more refurbishments in 8 years then any other ride at Thorpe,what more attention can the park give it?
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUTwdop66_8 shows some pics of the ride in current state

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 am

wow they have really taken that apart. They normally wait until closed season to do maintenance on that scale. There must have been something VERY wrong with it  :shock:

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Ooh, could they move it? I could see it being quite good in the Swarm area...