UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Saw - The Ride

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:30 pm

I've always found Saw very rough and can very much take it or leave it. Justin does raise an interesting point about how people fit in the restraints though. I have quite a bit of clearance between my shoulder and the top of the restraint which means my head is level with the padding so I do tend to get a fair amount of 'head-banging' when riding, something which makes it very unpleasant for me.

I had always just assumed that the roughness was just a trait of the ride being made by Gerstlaurer, however, after riding Karacho at Tripsdrill earlier this year which was incredibly smooth I now know that's not the case.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:47 am

Smiler313 wrote:
If I like The Smiler, will I like Saw: The Ride?

I find Saw to be more violent in how it takes on the elements, however I really enjoy this as it makes it seem equally as mad as The Smiler for a much shorter ride.

I also find it perfectly smooth 9 times out of 10 so it shouldn't be too different for the most part - although brace yourself for the exit of the mid-course brakerun and final inversion! :)

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:48 am

I've always found Saw a bit of a strange ride really in that when it first opened it was very smooth and I loved it but over the years it has become very rough and jolty, especially on the bottom of the vertical drop. However, towards the end of this season I found it wasn't too bad and actually enjoyable again which seems odd to me as I'd started to believe that it just hasn't aged well.

Also, it will be interesting to find out how it rides next season after winter maintenance but I hope it won't be as rough.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:09 am

I rode SAW during Fright Nights 2013, hated it was so rough. Rode it at Fright Nights 2015 during Scaremazing South and it was so smooth that it jumped up to my favourite ride at Thorpe!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued almost 30,000 animals in need!

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:09 pm

I rode Saw a couple of times during the Passholders Preview day on Sunday. I had 2 observations:

1) It was SO much smoother than last year. Maybe it was running slower than usual due to the temperature/early in the season?

2) The indoors section was much brighter, you could see the section of track with the 'air guns' before the drop into the spikes. I'm sure it was pitch black last year!

It's rapidly becoming one of my favorite rides at Thorpe now assuming it remains this smooth. Time will tell I guess. The Smiler got rougher as the season went on last year which was a real shame.

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:36 pm

The lighting on the inside always varies, like last year on one visit the lighting was exactly as you described for your recent visit. Thorpe aren't exactly the most consistent park for theming and props

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Just wondered, have the blades been turning recently?

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 15, 2017 8:58 pm

I've been on the ride a few times this season and unfortunately they haven't been, which is a shame considering they're either broken or turned off.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Ah that's a shame, it seems to be off more times than on for whatever reason.