UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Fright Nights

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:49 am

It was pretty epic last year so hopefully nothing drastic!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:32 pm

I do think a couple of tweaks should be made to The Big Top, in particular to the 'Clown Asylum' scene. I felt it could have done with a couple more actors really going crazy in this bit. The overall maze was beautifully themed and such a vast improvement in my own personal opinion to how it was in year 1 of its operation.

Platform 15 hopefully will end up getting the same face lift treatment that Big Top got as it needs it and more. It lacked.... well. everything! It was just rubbish. The idea and story were good, it just needs better execution. Blair Witch and Saw i'm actually glad they are both coming back. Saw keeps getting better and better as the years go on, despite it being the traditional conga line system and Blair Witch just makes me laugh because of people jumping at the bushes, so for my pure entertainment, i'm glad its back. 

The new maze really needs to pull something special, especially if its going in where Cabin in the Woods was. Cabin was such a highlight of the FN line up over the past 3 years so to many it is the definition of what a Fright Nights maze should be like. So I really hope they don't screw it up like they did with Year 1 Big Top and P15.
Even the good can fall from grace

Muppet738
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Does anyone know do you have to book in advance for fright night with a merlin pass or can you turn up early on the day because it might be a last minute decision on what day we go ?

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:13 pm

If you have a standard pass you'll need to book (between £5 and £20 depending on when you visit), you don't have to for premium but it's advised (costing £1) :)

Muppet738
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks Morgan
Found this video shows some shots of fright night building work started
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=serHoCbw-Tc
So hope it is walking dead but as a fan they have to get it right

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Thorpe Park Local posted the following earlier today:

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 pm

^ That's for a second, as yet unannounced, IP based maze. :)

It should be a fairly good lineup this year! Only a couple of days left until the announcement now.

ScareTOUR
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Looking forward to the Tuesday announcements - we genuinely think most people will be surprised!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:04 am

I have a feeling AHS is coming

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 pm

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
I have a feeling AHS is coming

No.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:38 am

2 Walking Dead mazes are coming with The Walking Dead Nightmare being an indoor maze (probably where cabin was) and The Walking Dead : Sanctum being an outdoor maze (either next to swarm or Blair witch route).

THE BIG TOP, Containment, Saw: Alive and PLATFORM 15 (with new scenes) are all returning meaning both Blair Witch and Cabin in the Woods will not be returning for Fright Nights. Below are the maze descriptions for the new mazes...

- LIVING NIGHTMARE
Your fate is sealed, Lucille is coming. New for 2017, nightmares become reality as you find yourself with other survivors at the terrifying mercy of the notorious Negan. Choose your path and decide your fate in THE WALKING DEAD: Living Nightmare.

-SANCTUM
Those who arrive… survive. New for 2017, follow in the footsteps of survivors on your journey to refuge, but look beyond and all is not what it seems. Make your way to sanctuary past the roaming walkers or risk being captured. Will you survive THE WALKING DEAD: Sanctum?
Last edited by lewis97 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double posts

Muppet738
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:10 pm

For those of you who watch walking dead. Pointing at the mazes Eeney meeny miney mo

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:47 pm

It sounds like I need to catch up with The Walking Dead - Currently on season 3 as I'm pretty late to the game and none of those references mean anything to me!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:37 pm

I just can't drum up any excitement this year as the zombie theme is just over done and too cliché!

hursty
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:11 pm

As someone who's not yet got around to watching The Walking Dead, do you think the mazes will offer much in the way of story, beyond general zombieness?

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 pm

SouthParks News now has a full round up of today's announcement, including details of both new The Walking Dead Mazes.

From a personal point of view I do find the choice of The Walking Dead as an IP an interesting one. Whilst it is less popular than it once was, the show does still have a significant following, something which will no doubt work to Thorpe's advantage. The fact that season 8 of the show launches in October will also help further promote interest in the mazes as it will bring the IP to the forefront of people's minds and in theory make them want to visit Fright Nights to experience it for themselves. I am hoping that as these two new attractions are IP based this means that they will be high quality additions as the IP owners surely will not allow Thorpe to open anything sub standard as it would damage The Walking Dead brand.

hursty has raised a very good point with regard to those who haven't yet watched The Walking Dead. I am hoping that the mazes will have some form of story beyond just being Zombies trying to get you and it will be interesting to compare the reactions of those who watch The Walking Dead, compared to those who don't.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:37 pm

I do not doubt that this will be a great year for the Thorpe and it will probably be a great success for the park but I just feel a bit disappointed by this years line up. The Walking Dead is a dying franchise and zombies have just been so over used for scare attractions and are loosing their scariness. So i'm not excited, which is a shame as I adore Fright Nights

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm a bit skeptical over this year as the previous years hadn't been the best- this year it's very much make or break whether i go next year and beyond.
I've never seen The Walking Dead either so I'm a bit worried, the descriptions make it sound like it relies on people already knowing the story- which is an issue for people like myself. Also, two mazes with the same IP seems odd, am I the only one who feels they both sound quite similar?

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 pm

I have to say I am a bit surprised about the amount of negativity surrounding Thorpe's announcement. On the one hand people were saying last year how the Lionsgate mazes had had their time and they needed a change - whether that be a new IP or new in house mazes. It's no secret that Platform 15 didn't go down too well last year so it is hardly surprising that the Resort have decided to go with an IP again. Yes, you can argue that essentially The Walking Dead is zombies, and I agree that zombies are used too much in scare attractions, however when you look at all the possibilities there are not many choices that a park can go with that isn't already heavily used. Of course you could argue that places like Tulley's and Towers implement their own stories, however the basic elements are pretty much the same - it's more about how these elements are executed rather than which ones are used. It' is kind of dismaying that people don't seem to even want to give the new mazes a chance which I do think is a shame as for all we know they could be done very well, we need to at least give it a chance.

Muppet738
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 am

For those of you who aren't up to date with the walking dead the programme as it gone on over the seasons is less about the risk of getting attacked by zombies and more about surviving against other groups of survivors that are led by a psychopath that range from smashing your head in with a baseball bat covered in barbed wire to another keeping zombies heads in fish tanks or a group that want to kill you and use your body to make sausages and burgers. so I don't think it will be just another zombie walk through