UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Fright Nights

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:42 pm

Ladyofthelake wrote:
I have to say I am a bit surprised about the amount of negativity surrounding Thorpe's announcement. On the one hand people were saying last year how the Lionsgate mazes had had their time and they needed a change - whether that be a new IP or new in house mazes. It's no secret that Platform 15 didn't go down too well last year so it is hardly surprising that the Resort have decided to go with an IP again. Yes, you can argue that essentially The Walking Dead is zombies, and I agree that zombies are used too much in scare attractions, however when you look at all the possibilities there are not many choices that a park can go with that isn't already heavily used. Of course you could argue that places like Tulley's and Towers implement their own stories, however the basic elements are pretty much the same - it's more about how these elements are executed rather than which ones are used. It' is kind of dismaying that people don't seem to even want to give the new mazes a chance which I do think is a shame as for all we know they could be done very well, we need to at least give it a chance.

I think i just feel that Thorpe have kind of lost their way over the past couple of years with regards to FN and no matter what IP they get, unless they really put the effort into every single attraction and not just 1 or 2 than its still going to keep falling flat. Yes TWD is an IP and is likely to be well themed, but i'm also very worried by the 1st year maze curse that seems to be inflicted in the island. The Big Top and Platform 15 were both a bit naff in their first years, so I just hope that the TWD doesn't fall for the same curse. Plus, ignoring P15 (I really hope my opinion changes this year), I think that Thorpe have had some really good original concept ideas in the past and they should be more confident using them and not using the IP's. 
Even the good can fall from grace

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Muppet738 wrote:
For those of you who aren't up to date with the walking dead the programme as it gone on over the seasons is less about the risk of getting attacked by zombies and more about surviving against other groups of survivors that are led by a psychopath that range from smashing your head in with a baseball bat covered in barbed wire to another keeping zombies heads in fish tanks or a group that want to kill you and use your body to make sausages and burgers. so I don't think it will be just another zombie walk through

That is even more worrying, as this will be lost on myself and many others who do not follow the show! I'm honestly not excited for them, however as Lakey said, hopefully they will be good in practice!
I do agree with Dom though. Thorpe should be more confident in their own in-house brands! I also think in-house brands offer a little uncertainty as to what to expect within the maze as anything goes. With IPs a certain storyline will be followed and sometimes this can make mazes predictable to those who are in the know, or even those who are not!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:38 pm

It's always a difficult one as whilst as enthusiasts we'd love Thorpe to follow Alton's example and use all in house concepts, ultimately Thorpe's main target are going to be drawn in by the big IPs. Like others, I do have concerns about how the mazes will be received by those who are not familiar with the show, however what I will say is that the first year I did FN in 2014 I hadn't seen Cabin in the Woods, or My Bloody Valentine and was still able to enjoy the mazes so that does give me hope that Thorpe can also do The Walking Dead in a way that everyone can get something out of the maze. . 

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 pm

I didn't watch Cabin or BW but the mazes were ok, especially when I understood the story more. Big Top, Platform, Asylum etc are free from restraints.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 pm

An IP maze can be just as good as a non-IP maze in my opinion. They don't have to follow any story lines however they can utilise characters and recognisable events from the IP's so in that sense the only difference is one has the theme development done for it and the other hasn't.

That being said I'm not really too thrilled with two Walking Dead mazes, however if the quality stays high (I very much think it will seeing as they are coming off the back of TWD's run at Universal) they'll be fine editions to the event. The Walking Dead has, at the very least, a very generic theme at least (not that it matters as Cabin is fairly complex yet was still highly received).

Neither Scarefest or FRIGHT NIGHTS are looking all the spectacular to me so far... maybe it's time to have a look at some of the other options available! :P

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Alton always excites me. It will be interesting to see what happens this year with the new IP and how visitors take to it!

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about getting two mazes themed to the walking dead, though. I feel like with everything, there should be diversity, and having not only so many zombie mazes, but IP zombie mazes makes me a little nervous about these mazes being so similar, if not the same. A zombie maze sounds like a lot of fun but two seems a bit redundant, no?

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:19 am

Having never gotten into The Walking Dead I can't say that I have a massive opinion either way on Thorpes choice of IP for this year.

The name of the franchise will be such a big draw for a lot of people so in that regard I can see the mazes being a success however I would like to see Thorpe try more in-house concepts.

That being said, their last two original concepts have been flawed in their first seasons so if they do decide over the coming years to design their own mazes they will need a bit more thought put into them to make them work.

hursty
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Thorpe definitely seem to benefit from IP with their target audience.

Whereas Alton seem to do okay without them, with ToTT being a name recognised by the general public, as a signature attraction.

I really like Alton and Tulleys find new ideas outside of well-trodden themes. For example Sub Species, Mine Tours, Chop Shop, Coven etc. Rather than clowns, zombies or zombie clowns.

However, I'm really interested to see what Thorpe are able to achieve with them, and what elements they are able to use, I really liked Cabin's multi-room concept,
Studio 13's well considered story, Platform 15's fantastic train element.
There are normally strong elements but can be affected by not maintaining that standard beginning to end.

I also wonder how the IP the affects the available scale and budget for the construction and operation of the attractions, alongside non-ip mazes.

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:14 pm

I'm curious to see what the Walking Dead mazes will be like as I'm also fairly new to the show (just started season 4) and I'm hoping the new ones will be good.  It is good that TP have gone in a different direction with FN but also I hope whatever changes they've made to Platform 15 will be better as I thought that was the weakest maze last year.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:30 pm

I paid a visit to Thorpe yesterday afternoon which gave me a chance to see what preparations were taking place for Fright Nights. In terms of The Walking Dead mazes there isn't ,much that can be photographed for them. Where Living Nightmare will be located, in the former home of Cabin in the Woods, there were a couple of reels of metal wire fencing but that was all that could be seen. In the area behind The Swarm it would appear that much of the construction for Sanctum has been completed with a number of shipping containers in place to create a defined area where guests will pass through. Within this area is also a burnt out fire engine. You can only see this maze from on board The Swarm so I'm afraid I wasn't able to get any photos of what is in place.

One thing that was apparent about Sanctum is that from what I could tell the maze appears to be quite short. I'm really hoping this isn't the case and there is more to it than what can be seen from The Swarm, however as things stand this is the maze that I would be most concerned about in the Fright Nights line up.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Has it been confirmed as a maze?  It could just be a walk through experience.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Justin wrote:
Has it been confirmed as a maze?  It could just be a walk through experience.

The press release referred to Sanctum as an "outdoor maze".

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Hopefully there is more then! :?

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:23 pm

The biggest issue I have with Thorpe Park's mazes is you can't really tell much from the outside and they put the fences just far enough to not reveal too much but keep people wanting to know what's happening. Its rather frustrating :lol

Sanctum does look small from The Swarm, but I don't know if that's just because of the angles you have to see it from, but from what I could tell, the use of containers do look quite imposing, even from the height of Swarm. I hope there really is more to it than meets the eye as at the moment it just kind of looks like a giant scare zone 

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:52 pm

More details have been revealed...

The indoor maze called The Walking Dead: Living Nightmare will see visitors experience terrifying iconic scenes of the global phenomenon, including the world’s first live attraction featuring scenes from season seven. They will join other survivors on the brink of death at the mercy of the notorious Negan. Scenarios will include experiences of the hospital from season one through to a double storey prison inspired by seasons three and four of the global television phenomenon seen in the UK on FOX.

In The Walking Dead: Sanctum, guests will experience a live-action outdoor maze like no other that pays tribute to Terminus, the safe-haven with a twist. Visitors will begin their journeys following in the footsteps of survivors, experiencing first-hand how to stay alive in the face of several obstacles placed in their paths. The aim is to navigate past the roaming walkers or risk being captured.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Owen wrote:
More details have been revealed...

The indoor maze called The Walking Dead: Living Nightmare will see visitors experience terrifying iconic scenes of the global phenomenon, including the world’s first live attraction featuring scenes from season seven. They will join other survivors on the brink of death at the mercy of the notorious Negan. Scenarios will include experiences of the hospital from season one through to a double storey prison inspired by seasons three and four of the global television phenomenon seen in the UK on FOX.

In The Walking Dead: Sanctum, guests will experience a live-action outdoor maze like no other that pays tribute to Terminus, the safe-haven with a twist. Visitors will begin their journeys following in the footsteps of survivors, experiencing first-hand how to stay alive in the face of several obstacles placed in their paths. The aim is to navigate past the roaming walkers or risk being captured.

The last part along with the pictures of this attraction so far sound like a massive game of British bulldog :lol. I'm really intrigued to see the outdoor maze and this double storey scenario in the indoor maze. It's certainly going to be interesting.

I'm the boy with the bubbles

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:31 pm

The more I hear about Fright Night's the warmer I become to the event. Its all beginning to get rather exciting. But I'm more interested by Platform 15 than the Walking Dead, as I really want to know what they've done to it. 

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:12 am

I used to be a huge TWD fan, but that did fizzle out a year or so ago. Nevertheless I am still excited for this years Fright Night's. I'm hoping they will have perfected their in house mazes and have high expectations for the new IP. I'm sure under AMC's watchful eye these attractions will have to be stunning, and hopefully we'll see some of the best special effects make up we've ever seen in a FN attraction, after all this has never been a particularly strong point of Thorpe's :lol

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Amber got some pictures from earlier today, but she's not very techy and they aren't the best quality, but here they are: