UK theme parks from another point of view!

gddevey1012
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - The Future

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:42 am

Justin wrote:
If it doesn't return next year, I can't see that it ever will.

Usually i would agree however i believe whole heartedly that the Alton Flume removal is having an effect in the plans to refurb LL, they have not even started removing the flume at Alton yet and i believe they will use the components from the flume to return LL to its best.

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:17 am

I'm honestly not hopeful for the return of Loggers Leap, it would be nice for it to return but if it is taken out and replaced with a new ride you wouldn't see me moaning about it. :)

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

2017 Possible 2 New Children Flat Rides

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:42 pm

From this theme park guide update, it appears that Thorpe park might be getting a ruckin tug boat ride and small drop tower family rides for 2017. They appear to have come from Sea Life Weymouth and seem to be going in old town.

Link is http://themeparkguide.biz/news/news-thorpe-park/canada-creek-redevelopment

For me, this is fantastic news for the park, to finally see a sort of return of octopus gardens. Especially with dbgt upgrade for 2017 and this, 2017 seems like it is going to be an epic year at Thorpe Park Resort!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Whilst it's nice to see a few little rides being added, I am becoming increasingly more confused with who Thorpe Park are trying to target. The whole "family focus" seemed to last all of one year with the addition of Angry Birds land. It seems quite a pointless investment in my opinion, especially seeing as I suspect most marketing will be focused on Ghost Train once more...

GThing64
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:03 pm

as great as this is, I really hope those things get painted before going in as they look pretty out of place at the moment and I'm especially curious how they're going to get a boat ride to fit inside a old western town. I wouldn't worry too much about the parks target market as with these being second-hand attractions, I wouldn't expect this to be a massive investment as such and more of something to further round out the park, which is something that is desperately needed.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:13 pm

This seems like a bit of an odd move from Thorpe. On the one hand it does raise questions about just which market Thorpe are targeting, especially after the addition of DBGT and the new destination being teased for 2017. It also seems odd that the rides being added are second hand having been moved from another Merlin attraction, it almost suggests that these may not be long term additions.

However on the other hand adding two family rides does kind of make sense. With Logger's Leap being out of action that has left Rocky Express as the only ride in the area, a ride which is most definitely aimed at younger guests. Adding two more rides to this area will at least make it seem more defined and less like Rocky Express is isolated. It will be interesting to see if the area is re-themed and if there are any other additions to the area in terms of retail or F&B - during Fright Nights there was a new F&B unit open in that area so perhaps this was a test for 2017.

Muppet738
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:29 am

I think this is a good addition as someone with 2 kids one of them 10 and the other being 5. Whilst my son 10 could go on the big rides my daughter was always abit left out when we go there. Now it means there are a couple more she can go on this probably the case with most family's with kids when they are not all the same hight or age

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:29 pm

The rocking tug is to be called loggers and the tower is to be called leap.
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:33 pm

Wonder where they are going. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up in the disused area next to I'm a Celeb..

Theme Park Music Looped
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Jack wrote:
I'm honestly not hopeful for the return of Loggers Leap, it would be nice for it to return but if it is taken out and replaced with a new ride you wouldn't see me moaning about it. :)

I saw the other day that Loggers Leap is not going just yet: https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/8 ... 1776091138

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:42 pm

Mixed feelings really.

It'll be fantastic as always to see new development at the park. Very interesting to see a mixture of both family-friendly developments and improvements to the park's newest thrill ride. Kind of reminds me of 2013. Anyone would think the park's on some sort of 4-year development cycle or something ...

However, I have my doubts about the true success of the rides. From the little we've seen so far, they look very temporary and I feel like the finished product could be tacky. Although I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't judge something so early on, this seems a bit poor for an area that's mysteriously closed its log flume and said that the area's "under redevelopment" (I mean, you're just making the general public expect an Alton Towers). There's also the issue of how well they'll be themed.

Speaking of which, what is the theme and target audience of Old Town? The addition of these two rides makes me want to say they're turning it into a family area, but Saw and Slammer (and I believe also Samurai?) were classed as being a part of "old town" throughout the 2016 season and we've got an all-ages log flume just about hanging in the balance here. Is this the nail in the coffin for Loggers? Where will the new rides go and how will the rest of the area be adapted to fit them, if at all? I hate to say it, but what if we see the destruction of Slammer and/or Samurai to make room?

I think the success of this decision will only be able to be determined nearer the time. I'm trying to be as positive as possible.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:20 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they add a Smokehouse BBQ in the area, too.

Extremely Colossal
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:56 pm

I don't know what to think about the new rides. there not going to take up too much room and there will a small queue line probably there not going to get a 30 minute queue ever. i don't really see the point of why they might be two new addition for 2017, but i cant wait to march to see what happens

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:55 pm

These new additions are interesting because as much as this area is dead, I feel that Angry Birds Land is towards the end of its life-span now, as the ip in my opinion, is pretty much dead now, and the movie didn't do too at the box office good either. So that area needs a retheme, and some new kids rides, as Detonator and the Dodgems are more teen/thrill rides and the 4D cinema is the only thing for the family, and possibly the Dodgems. So I'd add those rides there instead, and maybe a small shooter dark ride, by Triotech or Sally (or even some of the ones that were shown at iappa). Nethertheless, I think they will be successful for the park (especially if well themed) as it lacks family rides full stop. But instead of them worrying about Thorpe, have they seen Altons flat collection recently? :-k
credz to sam!
feed the flames. be chosen.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Being honest, angry birds will be staying until at least 2018 if it is a 5 year partnership

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:17 am

I can't see Angry Birds going just yet, although it was a brave IP to take back in 2014. Angry Birds 2 will spark a little interest.

It does make me wonder if Old Town will be just a filler area with a few new rides to plug the gap before a major redevelopment. If a filler for a year or two, this will take us to 2017/8. A 1 year redevelopment takes us to 2019, which could be possible with investment cycles.
It is an area that has really suffered in recent years with F&B closures, Loggers Leap and CCR going a few years back.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Angry Birds won't be going for awhile in my opinion, and if anything I wouldn't be surprised to see the area expand and get an overhaul to tie in with the movie franchise. With Angry Birds making a gross of £280,008,443 and 92p (more than Pixar's "The Good Dinosaur") and a sequel already in development for summer 2018, it'd be a very odd move from Thorpe Park to remove the area, at least for the time being.

With a bit of TLC and a few new/relocated attractions I can see Angry Birds becoming a decent family area away from the larger thrill attractions - something needed at Thorpe Park in order to bridge the age group between Rocky Express and SAW.

The Nemesis Fox
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Having read about the fastly approaching hotel I have realised that the area where the shark is now will once again be free. This means this could now occupy a new coaster which has got me thinking...

I think Neptune's Kingdom needs to go and be replaced. The Beach is only open for a small amount of the season and takes up a lot of space, this along with Wet Wet Wet. And for Depth Charge; Well I think it is time for it to depart.

So with a large space of land, what would do you think should be done with this?

Personally I think A nice plaza with a dark ride or family coaster (not sure which) and a Mack Mega with a loop around the entrance bridge.
2018 - SW8, Icon, Rookburgh, Valkyria, Energylandia, Toverland, Steel Vengance, Twisted Timbers, Hangtime, Railblazer, Slinky Dog Dash, Time Traveler, Electric Eel, Wonder Woman...

Which will be best

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Firstly it should be noted that The Thorpe Shark Hotel isn't expected to leave until the 2020 area. In terms of what I think, I always imagined that this area would make a great place to put the station for a hyper coaster. Looking at new rides such as Mako, this smaller plaza could be perfect as the attraction could head off around the back of the park. Not only this be convenient for space but having the layout stretch could make the ride seem larger than it is.

GThing64
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:41 pm

I've had ideas for a hyper coaster in that area for a while, mainly based on Cedar Fairs recent front gate redevelopments with rides like Fury325. That said, I am wondering what route towards the back of the park the ride would be able to take without disturbing other rides and pathways.