UK theme parks from another point of view!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - The Future

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Wouldn't it be possible to do a car park coaster like Silver Star?
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:38 pm

It certainly wouldn't be Impossible but unlikely. I would expect, it Thorpe park ever would get an airtime coaster, I would expect something less than 200ft and probably would go around the island, but not near the entrance.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:42 pm

Are we all forgetting the large lake surrounding the park? :lol

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Owen wrote:

First underwater roller coaster confirmed.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Owen wrote:

What do you mean by that? :-k

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Thorpe Park is encompassed by a very large and relatively deep, i would assume, lake. I imagine it would be quite hard to build on the water given the depth of it could be an issue, considering its an old gravel pit.
Even the good can fall from grace

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Dom wrote:
Thorpe Park is encompassed by a very large and relatively deep, i would assume, lake. I imagine it would be quite hard to build on the water given the depth of it could be an issue, considering its an old gravel pit.

I know about the lake, was just wondering what was being implied :) It may be possible to build on the lake, Mako was built about 40% over water although it is shallower. Waver Breaker is being built over some considerably deeper areas however and over 95% of the track will be over water. There is a point that can be seen on Google Earth where the car park & main island are very close together so a steel coaster could potentially stretch over that area without needing a support in the water.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:28 pm

Simply they have a decent amount of that lake they can build on, nothing too exciting, haha.

Of course who knows, they have a considerable amount of space all over the resort available for potential development so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some new attractions pop up all over the island over the next few years. :)

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:43 pm

It is worth remembering that with Thorpe being set on an island in a lake they do have to ensure that the lake remains at a certain level in order to protect both the park and local area from flooding. There is only so much in-filling they can do and I believe they are at or near that limit already. This means that for a large new attraction to open, e.g a new flume or new coaster, something of an equivalent size would have to be removed. The only area that comes to mind where they could place something without removing something else is behind Swarm Island - of course this has already been the subject of much speculation.

What this could mean is that it may force the Resort to be much more creative with the rides they put in given the restrictions.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Couldn't more of Thorpe Farm be removed?

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:10 pm

If I remember correctly, there is an undeveloped part behind the back of the Swarm? If there was then they could make the build there, or just push further in that direction. Idk, it was a while ago but I thought there were some aerial shots of the park showing space on the extra Swarm Island and out the back of Nemesis Inferno
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:11 pm

The last LTDP (I think) showed that the space behind Swarm was a potential site for a new coaster, but this was quite some time ago that that had surfaced.
Even the good can fall from grace

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 pm

The previous LTDP finished with 2016 and so a new one should be avalbile at some point in the near future - that should give us a better idea of what future developments will entail. :)

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:36 pm

While unconfirmed, rumoured sites being considered for development are X, the land behind The Swarm where ground tests are going on and the land for the hotel opposite Shark. I believe land purchasing is also being considered nearby!

ColossusInferno
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:03 am

There is no chance for a hyper coaster. The general public still think Stealth is scary and huge, so having a hyper coaster towering over Stealth would make it look like a baby. So a hyper coaster would mean the removal of Stealth in my opinion.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:46 am

I don't see why anything would need to "tower over stealth", looking at SeaWorld's Mako (often rated as the best hyper coaster) which is shorter than Stealth. As previously stated Stealth has been marketed heavily on its speed as opposed to its height more recently and so I really wouldn't see this being a problem, and looking at the queues Stealth gets there's still very much a market for larger coasters in the U.K.

Whilst I don't think it's likely for the near future I personally think saying there is "no chance" of this happening is a little naive, Thorpe is a business and will invest in whatever seems popular at the time - with hyper coasters becoming very popular in recent years! :)

In regards to what I can personally see is RMC, MACK and B&M all being looked into for future developments, and we should hopefully find out a general idea of the parks plans when the new long term development plan is released :)

ColossusInferno
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Very true Owen, good point.

I think if there was to be an RMC it should be to the right of Loggers Leap and really expand that western area. From my perspective it seems to have a good chunk of space around that area. Due to BP making a MAC, I'd see Thorpe going down a different route, and hope that would be an RMC

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Owen wrote:
I don't see why anything would need to "tower over stealth", looking at SeaWorld's Mako (often rated as the best hyper coaster) which is shorter than Stealth. As previously stated Stealth has been marketed heavily on its speed as opposed to its height more recently and so I really wouldn't see this being a problem, and looking at the queues Stealth gets there's still very much a market for larger coasters in the U.K.

I guess it depends where in the park it was. Say we're talking the island behind The Swarm, then I would argue that having a hyper that only just gets over the 200ft boundary would look a bit poor. Having a hyper that is not only shorter than Stealth, but behind it (thus having a greater apparent loss in height due to distance) would make it seem a bit lame - you have a coaster that would (presumably) be marketed for its height stood near enough to an even taller coaster which beats its height without really trying. If Thorpe get a hyper (and words cannot describe how much I'd want them to), it either needs to be far enough away from Stealth that the two aren't competing side-by-side or it will need to "tower over Stealth".

Mako is rated as the best hyper because it's usually one of the first hypers people ride due to its location. Coasters like Shambhala are considered much better by most people who've been on many hypers, mainly due to their extra height and speed. That said, most Thorpe Park visitors haven't been on a hyper either, so I guess any height would do in terms of public reception.

If the Thorpe hyper happens, I'd personally dream for something to beat out Thunder Dolphin as the tallest hyper in the world. Or maybe we could get a giga? :P
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

GThing64
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:45 pm

I'd personally at least hope for something taller than the big one. The UK's tallest rollercoaster would certainly get people excited! And while it likely would have to be near the back of the park (where the available land is long and narrow), I would prefer something closer in style to Superman the Ride or Expedition GeForce over another out and back layout.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Burniel wrote:
If Thorpe get a hyper (and words cannot describe how much I'd want them to), it either needs to be far enough away from Stealth that the two aren't competing side-by-side or it will need to "tower over Stealth".

Mako is rated as the best hyper because it's usually one of the first hypers people ride due to its location.

I agree, although I'd expect if anything were to be planned they'd take this into account. In regards to Mako I think it depends on the person as I've seen many say it is better than Shambhala and others saying it's not quite there but a close second. My main point being that the coaster doesn't necessarily need to be huge in order to be a good and successful ride. In regards to Out and back layouts, I honestly feel B&M have become very complacent and somewhat boring so I'd be doubtful of seeing anything different. :(

Whilst I do think the resort will at the very least consider this idea, I don't see anything like it being installed before 2020 - but the prospect is there which is exciting!