UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - The Future

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:02 am

I don't know if this real or not but I've just seen this from the TTSP Summer Sizzler today.
Last edited by Chris on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Source correction
[Insert Signature Here]

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:26 am

Wonder if that has anything to do with the supposed widening of the bridge...

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:38 am

At first glance it looks like a potential Hyper Coaster teaser but it could be pointing towards the widening of the bridge

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:44 am

Unfortunately nothing was confirmed during the talk so everything is purely speculation, but omg it's so bright and bumpy and bridgy
Even the good can fall from grace

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Any mention for what the new world class attraction is?

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:20 pm

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
Any mention for what the new world class attraction is?

Nothing has yet been decided regarding Thorpe Parks new attraction for 2020.

Obviously they do have a few ideas but nothing is concrete yet.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:35 pm

I mean more the thing for this summer

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:01 pm

I'm not sure what has been said about the summer attraction, but whilst on site today where containment has been. The tent that is nearby is full of equipment used inside of the attraction like props and tables.

Does this mean containment could be housing something soon before fright nights or maybe having a revamp?

I'm the boy with the bubbles

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:40 pm

That's some of the old dentist scene props, I'd imagine it's getting a few scenes redone to keep it fresh.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Now it's not particularly exciting (unless you're a keen enthusiast for the technicalities of planning) but Thorpe Park yesterday submitted an application "to partially re-instate permitted development rights to allow the erection of temporary buildings & structures &/or temporary use of land; booths and stalls and plant and machinery without the need for a specific planning permission on defined areas of the site".

These 'permitted development rights' (PDRs) are what allow the installation of buildings and attractions up to a certain height without the need to apply for planning permission at other theme parks, including Alton Towers as most will know. The cover letter (which anyone curious about the application is welcome to read) gives the following reasoning for wanting to reintroduce parts of the GPDO:

It is considered that the adoption of PDRs will provide Thorpe Park with the flexibility to provide small scale kiosks, stalls, small scale rides up to specific agreed heights (temporary and permanent) without the need to apply for full planning permission, whilst also removing the Council’s requirement to consider numerous small scale minor development proposals, with the assurance that there is sufficient control on future development at the Park.

So here are the specifics of what Thorpe Park are requesting:

1. Part 4 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 (GPDO) to be reintroduced across the area within the blue line on plan ref. 472-9-121.1 Rev A, permitting temporary buildings and structures and/or temporary use of the land;
  2. Full Part 18 Class B of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 (GPDO) to apply to the land within the black line on plan ref. 472-9-121.1 Rev A, permitting the erection of booths or stalls up to 5m in height, the extension of existing booths/stalls not exceeding 5m in height or the height of the roof of the existing building/structure (whichever is the greater) or the installation of plant or machinery (including rides) up to 25m in height; and
  3. Part of Part 18 Class B of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 (GPDO) to apply to the land within the green line on plan ref. 472-9-121.1 Rev A, permitting the erection and/or extension of booths or stalls as above but not the erection of plant/machinery i.e. rides.

The bit about allowing the installation of rides up to 25m in height is probably of the most interest to people, but the application highlights that this is actually lower than the 30m threshold previously agreed with the council, so doesn't really represent any significant change. The viewpoint images give an indication of the scale of attraction that could be constructed given the 25m limit (red columns), and interestingly also simulate the height on the Fleet Peninsular PDR area (blue columns) - could this indicate a potential site that Thorpe are thinking of developing with the addition of such an attraction? It's perhaps also curious that the application seems to make a point of highlighting the 50m coaster that was approved for the Island next to The Swarm's - could this again give some indication of what Thorpe are considering for an upcoming major addition?

If approved, obviously the intended outcome is that the Resort aren't obligated to submit as many planning applications, which may mean we may not be aware of the addition of rides and attractions until there are signs of construction. However, it is stated "that, as set out under the GPDO, any development that would trigger the need for Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) (including potential for a significant landscape or visual effect) would require an application for planning permission to be submitted to RBC alongside an EIA", therefore we may still get to see applications for large, major investments.

Hopefully, that's provided a coherent summary of Thorpe's latest application, and perhaps raised some intriguing questions about the Resort's future. It could be that this comes ahead of them submitting a new MTDP, or maybe instead of them submitting one at all...

GThing64
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Hmm. 50m is a height that leaves several options open.  It's obviously not going to be a true hyper but they can still get a great hyper-style ride out at that height, ala GeForce.  But 50m is about 164ft, New Texas Giant and Goliath (SFGAm) are both close to that size, so I could see an RMC of that height being a great fit for the park.  I'd personally prefer one where logger's was to take advantage of the setting, but if they pack in the elements and get the ride to interact with the Swarm's final turn, they could have a winner on their hands  During the sizzler talk, the op manager said a priority for the next big ride was marketability, and while a hyper is easier to sell based on height (which is not something they seem to be aiming for with a 50m limit), an RMC would be a unique, top-class ride that would really get people talking.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 am

Remember, there is nothing stopping them digging down to increase the height a little, however, due to the profile of Thorpe, this will be difficult, but achievable as seen with Colossus! I can see another 5m being possible though.

ewoodier82
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 pm

I'll probably be disappointed but I'm really hoping this is an RMC.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:09 am

If it was an RMC, it would most likely be on the smaller spectrum, the island that is available for the coaster is not that big, you maybe able to squeeze something like Goliath, Joker or the Twisted Cyclone on the site. Its possible and I'd say more likely than a hyper, but we will just have to see.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Am I the only one who thinks a Mack hyper coaster is a more likely option than an RMC or b&m hyper? Mack hypers would look impressive for GP and would still be a forceful, fun ride experience.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:49 pm

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks a Mack hyper coaster is a more likely option than an RMC or b&m hyper? Mack hypers would look impressive for GP and would still be a forceful, fun ride experience.

Maybe moreso than the RMC, but I'm not sure I'd say a Mack Hyper is more likely for the future than a B&M. It's known that Thorpe's engineers like working with B&M, and B&M have a solid and positive relationship with Merlin, having produced coasters which have served Merlin parks well for many years. I feel that if Thorpe were to go for something as ambitious as a hyper in the near future, they may choose to go for the company which they already have a friendly and successful relationship with over a company that's (relatively) new to the large-scale coaster scene and is yet to work on anything significant with Merlin.

Of course, it's entirely possible, and I wouldn't mind seeing a Mack hyper come a little closer to home than those currently out there, but B&M are the more likely company of the two in my opinion.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:38 pm

If it's a steel coaster then it's almost certain going to be a B&M. The last non-B&M steel coaster brought by Merlin was The Smiler (unless you count the Octonauts Rollercoaster). I think unless Merlin ask for something that B&M can't do then I think it's a done deal. If they want to work with (say) Mack I would expect them to work on a smaller project first to see what the relationship is like.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Sorry to say this but the last Merlin coaster was Kung Fu Panda Master which is Fabbri spinner :lol But anyway, b&m to produce smooth, good reliable coasters.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:48 pm

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
Sorry to say this but the last Merlin coaster was Kung Fu Panda Master which is Fabbri spinner :lol But anyway, b&m to produce smooth, good reliable coasters.

I mean, if you want to get technical ;)
Hardly any better, but there you go.

streetmagix wrote:
If they want to work with (say) Mack I would expect them to work on a smaller project first to see what the relationship is like.

Merlin started with Gerstlauer on a big project (Saw), and are now working with GCI on SW8, which is by no means a small investment. Given the huge amounts of planning and discussions which occur before the contract is signed, I think it's entirely possible to get a good feel for a manufacturer and how productive the relationship will be before committing to any project, potentially removing the need for a smaller investment first. Besides, Merlin do have large ride systems and small scale coasters produced by Mack at their parks (even if they weren't installed by Merlin themselves), so it's inevitable that Merlin have already got to work with Mack's team and likely have a good relationship with them. While I think B&M are indeed the most likely manufacturer of a future steel coaster, I wouldn't rule out companies like Mack, especially if Icon goes down well at Merlin's main competitor!
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Thorpe Park have posted a fun video to wrap up the 2017 season, along with a cryptic message "We'll meet you at the safe zone in 2018.."

What do you think this could mean?

They have also uploaded a coming soon for 2018 page.

https://www.thorpepark.com/coming-soon-for-2018