UK theme parks from another point of view!

TobyOfTheTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Swarm

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:43 pm

saw-x-smile wrote:
Swarm is a fantastic attraction and I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. It's theming is so amazing, the burnt church is incredible and it was clear that this attraction was designed with Fright Nights in mind, because they've managed to create an experience that totally changes after dark. I can see what they were trying to accomplish with the theme song, and although it is a tad strange, it's still commendable. The entire experience is one of the best that Thorpe has to offer, and they knocked it so far out of the ball park. 

I agree. For me it's my number 1 coaster and definitely the best coaster in the UK. Controversial but I personally think it's a better attraction than Wicker Man. The theming is spot on, the eerie sound effect played when a train swoops past is excellent and the queue-line videos really immerse you into it even more. If you showed anyone who's never been to Thorpe Park the fake news report played in the queue, I guarantee they'd think it's real.

The only issues I've heard people say they have with it is that the actual ride itself is tame and lacks intensity. To me, a coaster doesnt need epic intensity to be a good ride, and while I would have agreed that The Swarm is pretty tame previously, on my visits this season it's gotten really intense. I almost greyed out a couple of times whilst riding it this season! I feel like the ride is very underrated and always gets overshadowed by more "extreme" rides such as Stealth or Colossus. I think The Swarm is the backbone of Thorpe Park. No one would recognise it if it went, but if it did go Thorpe Park wouldn't feel the same.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 pm

The Swarm is just an awesome coaster.  I agree, it is severely under rated. Its such a fun coaster and that first drop has such a buzz for me. 
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:51 pm

None of the queue line screens are working, except for the ones in the overflow line by the toilets, which of course isn't in use! :lol

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 pm

That is a shame!
Come on Thorpe, repair them for Fright Nights :)

nicky.borrill
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Sound system was pointless too today, could barely hear the music and the voice overs, it was really bad. Still the best ride in the park though. Front row, right hand side, outside seat is my absoloute favourite. Though front, left, outside is good too. 

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:56 am

Bag drop is no more. :(

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 am

PSA from yesterday.

If you're on the right hand side, be aware there is a tree at the bottom of the first drop that has become incredibly close to the track and is easily within arm reach if you have your hands just slightly out from the train. Took a full hit to the palm of my hand, some marking that went away and thankfully no cuts, but stung like anything. Reported it to Thorpe online, but no idea if it got relayed back to maintenance.

Sadly, due to massive staffing cuts at The Swarm, it meant there was no attractions staff member I could immediately report it to.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 am

Swarm Chris wrote:
Bag drop is no more. :(

Was it on one train operation? They generally don't open bag drop on one train operation.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:33 am

No, at the moment (Fright Nights only?) the baggage from seems to be closed if on one or two trains. They have storage containers next to the fences.

The Swarm suffered downtime yesterday too, pretty much all of the afternoon.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Justin wrote:
They have storage containers next to the fences.

Didn't see any on the right side of the station yesterday. I deliberately moved away from the back rows, as I know that area floods in the rain and didn't want to destroy my bag further with water.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:29 pm

That is interesting. They were along the left, towards the back. Saying that though, I had to hang my rucsack on the fence one time!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:18 pm

The Swarm has had some sort of technical issue today and has been out of action most of the day, right up to park close. Whilst it had a weather delay at one point during the day, it was later listed as closed and Thorpe social media have confirmed it had a technical issue.

One to watch, as the lift hill was making a very unhappy sound last weekend, banging when the middle of the train reached the bottom of the hill. It was then closed last Saturday evening, with all of the staff seemingly sent to work elsewhere, as the station and surrounding area was deserted of Thorpe attractions staff.

I've seen some comments that there is an issue with the chain. Hopefully it reopens tomorrow, but we shall see.

Joel Allen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:36 am

The Swarm will be closed today (14th October) as per Thorpe Park's website

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 am

Heard some people say it will not reopen until 2019. Very dissapointing if true, my first visit to Thorpe Park in 3 years is just over a week away.

We can only speculate as to what is wrong, but it surely doesn't help that Merlin doesn't give the budget for spare parts to be ordered in advance and stored at the parks.

I remember in 2013 when Oblivion at Alton Towers was shut for several weeks due to its lift hill chain box needing replacement. They didn't have the budget to pre-order spare parts so had to wait weeks before a new one was delivered from B&M. The exact same thing happened to Galactica last year and that was also shut for a very long time. Meanwhile SheiKra at Busch Gardens has not one but two spare chain boxes ready in case there is an issue with the current one. (They only take a couple of days to install and get going.)

We don't know what has happened with The Swarm, or even if it is true that it will be closed for the entireity of the park's busiest period of the year, but I just hope it isn't Merlin's budget constraints on spare parts that have lead to extended downtime yet again.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Reports are coming in that it's a broken lift hill chain and will be out for the rest of the season.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Wagstaff04
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Hope it’s back by the time my visit in March rolls around. 

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 am

Wagstaff04 wrote:
Hope it’s back by the time my visit in March rolls around. 

I would say that unless something else unforeseen goes wrong, it will definitely be up and running then. :)

JSMarsden
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:44 am

Hi,

I don't post often but i was there in the queue line when it broke down.

The train had just started on the lift hill and the back row had been going up the lift hill for 1/2 seconds (this left the train abound 1/3rd of the way up the hill, maybe a touch less). All of a sudden there was a loud grinding/smashing noise with the train stationary. After about 3 - 4 seconds the noise had stopped, more than likely due to the whole operation being shut down. The queue line was evacuated and 30 mins later people were taken from the ride and down the steps one by one.

It sounded like the chain had come off the train but i believe thats pretty much impossible? So most likely a gearing issue that was mentioned before (by somebody with more knowledge than me!)

On another note: I guess any parts that break have to be paid for by Merlin and ordered via B&M (and then fitted by B&M?) - Guess warranties aren't that long!

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 pm

If the noise you describe is a smashing/grinding noise, then that will most likely be the gearing, as gears are designed in a way that when under maximum to increasing tension the gear will sheer, resulting in the gears teeth seperating from the gear itself and causing a very loud uncomfortable noise.. have had a lot of experience with this noise as I work in a machine shop with 3 lathes. In light of this, well done for experiencing such an event, wish I was there for it :)

As far as warranties go.. the relationship Thorpe and B&M have is quite strong.. so i’m sure a cheeky discount could be arranged :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

JSMarsden
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm

PhNx Survivor wrote:
If the noise you describe is a smashing/grinding noise, then that will most likely be the gearing, as gears are designed in a way that when under maximum to increasing tension the gear will sheer, resulting in the gears teeth seperating from the gear itself and causing a very loud uncomfortable noise.. have had a lot of experience with this noise as I work in a machine shop with 3 lathes. In light of this, well done for experiencing such an event, wish I was there for it :)

As far as warranties go.. the relationship Thorpe and B&M have is quite strong.. so i’m sure a cheeky discount could be arranged :lol

Hopefully sort it before the end of the season but i highly doubt it. I guess they leave the train where it is until the gear is fixed, or do they have a way to back it into the station?
I guess i was lucky to experience it. I was there for 2 days and only got to do the Swarm once (first ride of the day on Saturday) so i suppose a front row ride is better than nothing at all!. Bit of a shame as i rate it as one of the best in the park and the throughput is great. (Usually lowest queues out of anything)