UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Swarm adding a theme element

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Qwan wrote:
tallicay2k wrote:
Swarm and Saw are unfortunately the only best themed rides at Thorpe.

While I agree that Swarm and Saw are the best themed at the park I always feel the theme of Nemesis Inferno is often overlooked. Don't get me wrong it isn't as good as the two mentioned above however. The mountain, you walk up into a volcano before you start flying around the rain forest-esk world.
For a ride made in 2003 I think it is quite good (again I am not comparing it to any American counterparts here)

Although back on topic, the new billboard this season is a very good addition, it is a shame it isn't more British themed to match the rest of the area however when I went last week all the effects were working and it was very nice sight indeed.

Ahh yes the billboard lol. That's one thin gap.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

thi3teenloverboy14
TT Member
TT Member

The Swarms Area Future

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:32 pm

The Swarm is in a place that does not really have a name ( if it does please let me know :lol )could we see a name for the area if a new attraction comes in the next few years? We know that it wont be next year because of the dark ride but what about 2018-2020 it could do well with a new ride/attraction. We could defiantly see a flat ride come in but i personally think a spinning coaster would work because of the family market there going towards. They themed the Swarm well so i'm sure they could do it again with a family coaster.
What Flat Ride would work well in a apocalyptic area?

Nathan_Fisher
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Swarms Area Future

Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:35 pm

It's called The Swarm Island isn't it? As for the new ride and expansion of the area, i can't really see it happening. The whole idea of the swarm is unique and i doubt that will change, adding a new ride will change the story line of what 'apparently' happened (as seen in the queue line videos). Adding in a new ride would ruin the story in my opinion, because they would need to give a detailed story about how the ride got there and what it is. The Swarm island is a very unique area and we're very lucky to have extensive themeing like that in the UK, i honestly can't see that changing.

Air15
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:43 pm

I think putting zodiac could be good

Mermalizer
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:20 pm

I agree with Nathan_Fisher - it is 'The Swarm Island'. I think that keeping The Swarm on its' own and in its' own apocalyptic environment will preserve the theme of the ride.

It is in my opinion one of the best themed areas in the park - so The Swarm should be kept to itself.
Prepare to be mermalized!

thi3teenloverboy14
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 am

Mermalizer wrote:
I agree with Nathan_Fisher - it is 'The Swarm Island'. I think that keeping The Swarm on its' own and in its' own apocalyptic environment will preserve the theme of the ride.

It is in my opinion one of the best themed areas in the park - so The Swarm should be kept to itself.

But they have a load of space around the back! A family ride might even encourage more people to ride The Swarm

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

itsoliver
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:35 pm

I feel that a Flat ride would benefit the area. I agree with other comments saying that it would be cast in swarms show but over all I think it would enrich the area. Just look at saw alive and saw the ride they both Match in theme and both help realise the area. True saw alive is shut now but when it was open it gave that part of the park a more complete feel. So If they did build a flat ride on "Swarm Island" then I think it should resemble the destruction vibe in the area. E.g. A round about made out of broken car shrapnel or a top spin made out road signs. Regardless wether you think a flat ride would help the area or not, what type of flat ride should should there? And what should it be themed like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesc
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:14 pm

Or just extend the track, as that's the only problem with the ride is that its too short.

Has anyone heard of a rollercoaster anywhere in the world, to ever have had its track length extended.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:55 am

There is a small island behind the swarm which could hold a compact coaster or large flat ride in the space, not too sure about the possibility and. Planning for the area, although there is room for expansion, possibly a ride with a similar story to ripsaw ( piece of shrapnel thrown across forbidden valley by the nemesis creature).
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:42 am

Before the dark ride was announced the next investment was expected to be a coaster on that island and mock up plans showed that they could fit a decent sized coaster on the island plus two flat rides.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:27 am

I think Swarm's area is fine. If they had to expand, I'd retheme Flying Fish into a Swarm training ride [emoji38]

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:31 pm

I reckon a coaster there wil happen in2018/2019 can't see Thorpe going 2012-2020 without a large coaster, 6/7 years is long enough anyway, never mind 8!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 am

The problem with The Swarms area is there isn't really a huge amount that can be done. It is actually quite a large coaster and the extensive themeing means space in the area has become used up. As for the theme, they kind of shot themselves in the foot. Merlin aren't known for themeing and by adding a new ride or attraction to the area would mean them actually having to spend money on themeing, and extensive themeing at that, which they don't really do for flat rides.
Even the good can fall from grace

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:43 pm

The small island behind is one of the only places where they could put a coaster without tree felling, removing rides etc, there must be a large coaster coming soon because it will be6/7 years without a large thrill coaster because the dark ride will take up to much money for 2017 I think so by the time an coaster comes it might be 2018/2019, and probably 2019 because SW8 or A large development at Alton is likely for 2017, and they might want a year after that opens so it doesn't lose its storm in 2018, I can see merlin putting a two year gap in between all large developments at Alton, and Chssington, so I expect the Area behind Swarms area to be used for the next coaster at Thorpe

Smiffy107
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Swarm

Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:32 pm

hey guys I haven't posted much in the TP section but I have certainly been on The Swarm more times than the smiler, let me tell you something, who doesn't absolutely cack their pants a bit when after the first lift hill you roll over and do a 180 and then straight down, that feeling is soo scary haha, but gotta love the swarm after that its amazing :P
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:12 pm

Smiffy107 wrote:
hey guys I haven't posted much in the TP section but I have certainly been on The Swarm more times than the smiler, let me tell you something, who doesn't absolutely cack their pants a bit when after the first lift hill you roll over and do a 180 and then straight down, that feeling is soo scary haha, but gotta love the swarm after that its amazing :P

How can you not like the first drop. Its the best bit of the ride in my opinion. That almost freefalling feeling you get is just the best thing ever!
Even the good can fall from grace

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:26 pm

I agree with Dom, the first drop is fab but then The Swarm is a fantastic coaster all round :)

Also, if you go on the back row it gives a very different ride experience which is strange but great :)

Smiffy107
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Believe me I have sat on the swarm both front facing at the front and backwards on the very last row and it is a wonderful feeling on the first drop but I still remember the first time I went on the swarm backwards facing and man did my stomach do some loops of its own haha
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:28 am

I too fou d the Swarm backwards was excellent, I dont know the track well enough to predict where the ride will go next like I could with some at Alton, so I found it quite unprecitable. I also found because it was not spacially limited like X:/ No Way Out there was no real need for sudden twists and turns, so it still remained quite graceful

I do like the theming around the ride, however I do think that Saw beatsthe pants off of any themed rollercoaster in Britain, so on that front it doesnt win ;)

I originally was disappointed by the Swarm when it first came out, although nowadays I do quite like it
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:23 pm

The swarm is my favourite rollercoaster in the UK at the moment, not having been to Thorpe Park in a few years I went twice this year and it was excellent, superbly themed, various ride experiences in different seats, pretty intense the entire ride, normally one of the shorter queue times. Infact Thorpes line up of roller-coasters and flat rides is the best in the UK now! The flat ride selection is far better than altons. The swarm was especially good in the dark.

That said I've not been on the Smiler yet, fingers crossed next year, that could all change!