UK theme parks from another point of view!

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Colossus

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:51 pm

It was Pass Holders preview today, evacuation on the lift hill at 1115 and then I believe it wasn't reopened all day. Speaking to a staff member he said it had been stopped on Saturday too.

With Colossus, Slammer and SAW Alive being closed the entire area felt like a ghost town, so empty and unloved.

I hate to say it but I think the time is almost up for Colossus. Although that's been said about Slammer for how many years now? :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 pm

All Colossus needs is a lick of paint and new trains with lap bars or vest restraints. It's just a hideous ride at the moment unfortunately :(
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:06 pm

I hate to sound so negative, but what Colossus needs is tearing down... I find it's aged very badly and even though other Intamin rides (like Rita) have become rougher, they are at least bearable, whereas Colossus just smashes your head around. Also, though Colossus is not meant to look shiny and new, it is really starting to look worn down - it looks as if it's been around much longer than many rides that opened around the same time (e.g. Galactica).

If Thorpe were looking for a short term fix to Colossus, new trains would be a start. That said, I'd much rather see the money spent on a new attraction on that site or new trains for Saw (seeing as Gerstlauer now offers Eurofighter trains with lap bars).
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 pm

The first time I went on Colossus (and knew nothing about Thorpe Park) I came home and researched when it was built and literally could not believe it hadn't been around for decades and decades!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:05 pm

I think it's well past new trains, I think the damage to the track is done now. I've ridden Altair (Cinecitta World) which has the the 'new' lapbar restraints and it was pretty rough after just a year. The new trains required newer and wider track so it's not a question of dropping them in quickly.

Colossus is what, 15 years old? I don't think it'll make it out of its teens. It will be very sad though when it finally does go.

Lj040988
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Wait what, Colossus is only 15 years old? I thought it was older than that. I only went on it for the first time last year, and I don't think I'll be rushing to go on it again. It just hurt!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Colossus won't go unless someone suffers a serious injury, fasttrack sales for it stop and nobody rides it, or it gets to the point it can't run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COASTERGENICS
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:40 pm

went to the park yesterday (8/4/17) and got evacuated from colossus in the morning. i think colossus needs a bit of tlc
full credit for signature to NemesisRider!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Colossus seems to be having quite a few issues this year so far. It seems to keep breaking down. I really hope they sort it out sooner rather than later, but at the same time it's getting quite old now, so maybe a nice smooth, better replacement is the answer *hint hint Merlin*
Even the good can fall from grace

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:53 am

I seem to remember Colossus having gearbox issues either last season or the one before. If that's the case then it may point to an inherent problem with the motor/gearbox design.

To be honest looking at the gearbox/chain lift issues, size/type of the trains, and the lower than ideal height you can see quite a few corners had to be cut to get Colossus into that area. I'm sure if it were built today it would be quite a bit different beast (see: Altair at CCW)

As mentioned somewhere above on MAP preview day Slammer and Colossus were both down. Taking into account SAW Alive and X that gives Thorpe quite a large area to build something new if they decide to go down that route. It's sad but if I ran Thorpe Park it's something I'd certainly look into.

The Nemesis Fox
TT Member
TT Member

Colossus Replacement

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:15 pm

With Colossus aging very badly at 15 years old with it being uncomfortable, rough and grime showing, it is only natural that it will be shut in the next 10 years because of this. So what would you want to replace Colossus given its large area?
Would you:
Choose a floorless?
Have a multi looper?
Keep the theme?
2018 - SW8, Icon, Rookburgh, Valkyria, Energylandia, Toverland, Steel Vengance, Twisted Timbers, Hangtime, Railblazer, Slinky Dog Dash, Time Traveler, Electric Eel, Wonder Woman...

Which will be best

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:52 pm

I will be brutally honest but I can not wait until they get rid of Colossus. Its not friendly one bit. When the tiime comes to replacing it, I sort of hope they look backwards instead of forwards with regards to it. I would love them to revisit the original plans for the area

They could tweak the design to fit and just give us something a bit more dramatic now that the power of ten has been duplicated in other parks.

As for theme, I like the Lost City theme, so it should stay. I would sort of love it if X was to be removed from inside the pyramid and then have the pyramid as the station for it, so you come out of the pyramid. That would be kind of cool.
Even the good can fall from grace

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:51 pm

I've only ridden it once this year and couldn't agree more, I'd like to see it leave sooner rather than later.
I'd like to see it replaced by a traditional dark ride (that doesn't revolve around horror and doesn't use VR), maybe a log flume too if they could squeeze it in now Loggers is more or less dead.

The Nemesis Fox
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:55 pm

I think that it's Replacement should be a launched sit down B&M with the worlds tallest vertical loop or a floorless coaster for the USPS. It should be in a multi deal I believe with Alton getting a launched floorless unless Alton gets a Mack or Intamin as Rita's Replacement instead. If this is the case then Thorpe could have a launched floorless.
2018 - SW8, Icon, Rookburgh, Valkyria, Energylandia, Toverland, Steel Vengance, Twisted Timbers, Hangtime, Railblazer, Slinky Dog Dash, Time Traveler, Electric Eel, Wonder Woman...

Which will be best

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:19 pm

I tried it for the first time on Sunday and I honestly thought it was great. It was on one train operation but there were plenty of people queueing. It's way to popular to go. If it was to close in the next few years, it probably won't be a dark ride because they just put one in. They need a new coaster and a flat or two.
At the moment, I'm pushing for more development at the towers. I have now visited both and agree with most that they need more flats and more attention on general. I love thorpe and think it's fine at the moment.
GodBlessTeaTowels

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:51 pm

I'd personally want to see something similar to Helix or Blue Fire! It's got a great footprint with height potential as well as enough opportunities to interact with the landscape. :)

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:51 am

Yeah a Mack Megacoaster would be fantastic.
GodBlessTeaTowels

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 pm

I don't think Colossus will be leaving anytime soon, when I last visited, the queue was the second biggest, just behind DBGT. One of the reasons I think its always so busy is because of quite a few of those youtube videos you see called "TOP 10 DANGEROUS ROLLERCOASTERS YOU SHOULD NEVER RIDE" feature Colossus as one of them.

And this image....

Personally I think they should ether get rid of it, or retrack it to be like Altair....
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm

The reason it's queues are so high are it looks cool offride and more importantly, capacity is awful, especially when it's on just 1 train.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:47 pm

It has been on one train all season, to the best of my knowledge, which isn't great considering it is one of the parks major attractions. Does anyone know what has happened to the second train?