Discussion on the island like no other.

Colossus

Community Advocate
User

Luce

Re: Colossus

by Luce » Thu May 14, 2015 8:58 pm

It is about time Colossus got a re-paint to be honest but surprised Thorpe are doing it now rather than in the closed season. Oh well, it'll look much nicer afterwards so that's a good thing :)

Fabulous
User

Dom

by Dom » Thu May 14, 2015 9:36 pm

I will try and get some more photo's on Saturday. Hopefully they don't leave it Merlin Grey!
TT Member
User

Morgan

by Morgan » Thu May 14, 2015 9:41 pm

Let's hope so, but Merlin being Merlin...
TT Member
User

Stan.H

by Stan.H » Thu May 14, 2015 10:06 pm

They will most likely next paint it during End Of Season 2015... Once again it's Merlin!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2017 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan
Fabulous
User

Dom

by Dom » Sat May 16, 2015 8:20 pm

It's only the one piece of track that has been painted. It looks very strange
TT Member
User

RollercoasterGEEK100

by RollercoasterGEEK100 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Considering Colossus is having problems with its trains does anyone think Thorpe will consider getting some new gen trains for it or would it be to much of a hassle for Thorpe?
TT Member
User

sw7nutter

by sw7nutter » Sun May 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Too expensive and not enough benefit for doing it. I don't see it get new trains anytime soon. At this current moment in time I doubt a paint job as well.
TT Member
User

Capt. Barnacles

by Capt. Barnacles » Sun May 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Plus if it got new trains it'd only be the second time the trains were replaced :P
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!
TT Member
User

Ryan.B

by Ryan.B » Tue May 19, 2015 7:19 pm

I'd love to see it have the same colour scheme as rush (gold/blue) to fit in with the ridew such as samurai, Rush, vortex and quantum, it was originally similar but I'd love it if the paint was in a different shade of them colours, also I have sat in the back and it didn't seem rough at all, actually I my top 15
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net
TT Member
User

Capt. Barnacles

by Capt. Barnacles » Fri May 22, 2015 2:00 pm

Posted today, the areas of track that were previously painted grey have now been painted blue :)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ThemeParkXtreme
TT Member
User

Morgan

by Morgan » Fri May 22, 2015 2:25 pm

Looks much better! Rest of the track needs to be done immediately.
Forum Leader
User

Danny

by Danny » Fri May 22, 2015 4:17 pm

It looks great with a lick of paint! However, you can see that the wheels have almost instantly marked the track, which tells me that whether it is all repainted or not, it won't be lasting long :(
TT Member
User

Ryan.B

by Ryan.B » Fri May 22, 2015 4:51 pm

I must say, with the whole ride/supports painted, it could be one of the best looking coasters around! Looks fantastic in that colour!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
Community Advocate
User

Owen

by Owen » Sat May 23, 2015 10:00 am

The most likely reason why only select areas are painted is because they are testing the paint in high stress areas (such as the heartline rolls). Seeing as it's been ripped off almost instantly I doubt the park will go ahead with the full track repaint and will probably find a better option that'll last more than a day on the rails! If they do I will be very surprised as even though the heartline rolls are put under moderate stress, this is nothing compared to other areas of the track are put under - such as the bottom of the drop and cobra roll.
TT Member
User

Ryan.B

by Ryan.B » Sat May 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Still, can't believe its ripped off pretty much straight away, hope it still gets a repaint as it looks better than it has for ages! I quite like the shade, fits in nicely.

TT Member
User

wakey1512

by wakey1512 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:45 pm

I visited Thorpe in 2004 and rode Colossus then and it was silky smooth and looked excellent. Went again in 2012 and couldn't believe it was only 10 years old. Scum all around the support bases, lift hill lathered in grease, trains worn out, queue lines vandalised, rust around the station - couldn't believe it was the same ride.

Glad they are tiding it up if it'll look like it's former glory.
TT Member
User

MerlinFan

by MerlinFan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:05 pm

I remember the year it opened as well - the ride looked stunning! I've also been saddened to see how it's deteriorated over the years. The original colour was a lovely light greeny blue much like the repaint.
TT Member
User

Kleo

by Kleo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:07 pm

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but am I right from reading back that it is the trains that make the ride so rough not the track? I went last Friday with my nephew and he is by no means a wimp but the ride left him with tears coming down his eyes and left me thinking I'd bruised my face (we are both quite short so I don't know how tall people feel). Was not a nice experience at all which was such a shame as track layout goes I think it is one of the best in the park. I really do hope they replace the trains if that is the case. I've seen enough reports on other websites of people complaining about the ride quality so hopefully something will be done.

As far as painting goes I hope they decided to do the whole ride. For the first time I actually got to experience the whole queue like (normally I've walked a shorter line) and I couldn't get over how everything needed a lick of paint both on and around the ride. It's such a shame as it has a lovely theme.
Thank You NemesisRider for my signature :)
TT Member
User

Capt. Barnacles

by Capt. Barnacles » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:01 pm

As I understand Colossus has significantly different design of trains to other Intamin multi-loopers. However I think this difference doesn't actually contribute to it being any rougher than the others. I understand what you mean about it feeling very rough, I've only done it twice and both times I've been left with a mild headache.

As for the repaint I've heard that the decision has indeed been taken to completely repaint the whole ride, but most of that I think should take place over the closed season :)
TT Member
User

Adam.W

by Adam.W » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:34 pm

That's good, hopefully they might tidy up the queue line and stuff too, looking a bit vandalised. Also, am I the only person who thinks the twisting continuous inversions near the end are just to get the inversion world first/record?
PreviousNext