UK theme parks from another point of view!

addy2503
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Colossus

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Perhaps they decided that running it on 2 trains was unsafe for their bank account?

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:45 am

Justin wrote:
It has been on one train all season, to the best of my knowledge, which isn't great considering it is one of the parks major attractions. Does anyone know what has happened to the second train?

It ran on two when I visited at the end of June. Only time this season I've seen it that way, but it definitely did. So the second train definitely can/could run, maybe my visit was a test? Might have something to do with the fact that it was a quiet day; on a busy day, dispatch times are so slow that people would be stuck on the brake run for ages. Not that that's any excuse.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:44 am

Yesterday I had the worst ride I've ever had on Colossus, I had a gigantic headache and had to sit down and rest for a bit. Probably gonna avoid it next time, I think the ride needs ether new trains (Altair style), retrack or just scrap it. Don't know why the GP flock to this ride.

Also I heard the new soundtrack by IMAscore, not really a fan, its basically a remix of the island theme. Much preferred the old one.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Pullinger Signs (a sign and graphics company who have worked with Merlin on a number of things) last week posted this photo on Instagram of the fresh lettering they applied to the front of Colossus' trains, with it apparently not having been replaced since the ride opened.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 am

It's only small but it's nice to see some work on Colossus taking place. I wonder what else they're planning?

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:21 am

It would be nice to see a track repaint, sometime, in the next couple of years.

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:37 pm

It would make the area look a lot nicer. It is probably one of Thorpe most run down looking attractions. 
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm

COLOSSUS
Experience a massive ten exhilarating inversions including a vertical loop, cobra roll, double corkscrew and the UK’s only quadruple barrel roll!

With the closed season upon us, how would you review Colossus at the THORPE PARK Resort?

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Colossus - General Discussion

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:09 am

When I rode Colossus, I specifically queued 40mins for the front because of what I had heard about it’s roughness. The throughputs were quite poor as it was only running one train. When speaking to a host in the station he said that ideally they want to run two trains however maintenance have been doing work on the second train in preparation for Fright Nights operations. They seemed to be having a loading issue when I rode because with every load they had to release all harnesses and have them rechecked again, which slowed down times.

I enjoyed the rides layout up to the quadruple barrel roll where I thought it was pointless. I went on thinking I would feel sick after that part however I felt fine. The front row was pretty rough however a regular at the park I was sat next to did say how the front felt so smooth compared to the back. Next time I would be intrigued to see how rough the back is, even if it means I come off with a headache! I love the area soundtrack however I do think aesthetically it looks very tired. Thorpe Park needs a ‘Thorpe Loving Care’ programme to give Colossus a new repaint and all the walls and buildings painted up too.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:50 pm

I agree, Thorpe definitely needs some "Thorpe Loving Care" and Colossus is one of the major rides to start with.  It is a shame to see it looking a bit neglected like it did last year but hopefully something will be done.  

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Only went on it once during the 2017 season, on the front row, and it was unbearably rough! The trains need a complete redo, they're incredibly uncomfortable and way too hard to fit in, even if you're of a smaller build. It needs a massive refurb, it was only on one train for more than most of the season, and when i was queuing, it kept breaking down. The layout is decent, so if it was smoother and wasn't rusty as hell it'd be enjoyable.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 pm

I have a very marmite relationship with this coaster. On the one hand its always lovely to watch and the four barrel rolls are the highlight for me, but the train is so small and its so rough that I don't enjoy riding it any more. Its also a very photogenic coaster and I do love sitting at the exit and just taking in the environment and vibe from the coaster. 
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:55 pm

It certainly hasn't aged very well and is a far cry from when it first opened - it was lovely and smooth then :)

I also think the trains could do with sorting out as I always like to sit in the front of each carriage as there's more legroom, additionally, some less cumbersome restraints would be good too :)

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Who experienced Colossus with the original, less restrictive restraints?

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Were the restraints different? I'm not sure I knew that?

SmileAlways
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm

I've only been to Thorpe Park the last two years, we've just booked our third stay for June. I can honestly say that it seems to be getting rougher each year. I do still love the ride but it definitely needs a refurb. Major track repaint is needed, when you look at the track now to when it first opened, the blue hardly shows anymore. The train definitely needs a redesign, the restraints are very solid and not cushioned at all and there's a serious lack of room. Our group that goes comprises of me (5'3 with a fairly slim build), my best friend (just under around 6ft, decent build) and then two other people who are either around 5'6 and on the bigger side, tall and on the slimmer side or around 5'4 and slim. I can honestly say that the amount of struggle that goes into getting into those seats is ridiculous, even for us smaller people. The amount of times I have hit my head on the restraints as I'm climbing in is too many to count. So definitely needs a more roomy design. And can I just point out: THIGHS! Does anyone else have the same issue as me and my friends where you end up with insanely trapped and pinched thighs by the end of the ride?
If you hear people singing random songs on a rollercoaster, it's probably me and my best friend #SmileAlways

Instagram (there's bunch of random stuff but a tonne of theme parks): @jess_baker.98

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Justin wrote:

They were less bulky than they are now and much better in my view :)

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Luce wrote:
Justin wrote:

They were less bulky than they are now and much better in my view :)

Basically, the previous restraints allowed you to stick your leg out the side. So someone did, and broke their ankle when coming in to the brake run, hitting it on the evacuation platform.

That platform was also lowered - you can still see where it used to be, if you look closely.

http://www.southparks.co.uk/2002/09/12/colossus/

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:06 am

Thanks for the link, Chris :)
I didn't know that. By the look of those panels, getting into the trains must have been troublesome?

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 am

Yeah - but then the restraints did not stick out as much, so was actually easier to get in to the back part of the car still.