UK theme parks from another point of view!

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Colossus

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Sounds about right Sum1Mad. You don't need 5 of the same inversion, a heartline roll, on the same ride. Its a cool experience but I would say a mix of inversions would have been much better.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Oh i love that bit. Its the highlight of the ride in my opinion.
Even the good can fall from grace

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:44 pm

I agree, the hangtime pulled on the first four heartline rolls is enjoyable, easily my favourite part of Colossus.
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:31 pm

Yeah, I guess it's cool and everything :) but I guess it was at least partially for the record :)

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:11 pm

It is really refreshing to see a park re-painting a ride purely because they have recognised that it looks old and is not aesthetically pleasing. Usually we only see re-paints when a whole area is re-themed or a new ride is introduced to an area, such as Oblivion's repaint triggered by the arrival of The Smiler. It proves that despite it's flaws, Thorpe Park do somewhat care about customer experience.

Jared
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
It is really refreshing to see a park re-painting a ride purely because they have recognised that it looks old and is not aesthetically pleasing. Usually we only see re-paints when a whole area is re-themed or a new ride is introduced to an area, such as Oblivion's repaint triggered by the arrival of The Smiler. It proves that despite it's flaws, Thorpe Park do somewhat care about customer experience.

It doesn't show that at all. The repaint is more than likely about maintaining the ride and keeping it going for longer. Paint prevents rust. If it was down to appearance, they'd have done it years ago.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:27 pm

I think Colossus isn't a bad coaster, but it's certainly not the best. It's not too rough either. The front is definitely smoother than the back, especially the first section. The roughest part in my opinion is the cobra roll, you get thrown around quite a bit.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:24 pm

Most cobra rolls are rough, don't know why, same on boomerangs, oddessey, and the smiler as well as colossus. Does anyone know why or if it's a coincidence they are rough?
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Thorpegirl123
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:55 pm

I was on colossus yesterday and wish I had gone on wearing a crash helmet. I hit my head to many times to count, so bad it left me with a pounding headache and dizzy all afternoon. It happened last time I went on but this time I could of cried with pain!

fitchy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:17 pm

The best way to ride colossus is to lean forwards away from the seat so you dont hit your head if you sit back you will hit your head ....

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:33 pm

I'm confused why people find colossus rough... I'm short (around 5"2) and the whole ride seems smooth to me. Not sure if other short people find it rough but my brother(around 6"0) finds it smooth 2. Who actually finds it rough? Taller or shorter people?
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458

Kleo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:44 am

Ryan.B wrote:
I'm confused why people find colossus rough... I'm short (around 5"2) and the whole ride seems smooth to me. Not sure if other short people find it rough but my brother(around 6"0) finds it smooth 2. Who actually finds it rough? Taller or shorter people?

I am also 5"2 and my nephew is a tiny bit shorter. He came off the ride crying and I had to take pain killers because the pain was so bad. Where were you sat? We sat at the front first time and had minimal problems. Sat nearer the back the second time and regretted it!
Thank You NemesisRider for my signature :)

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Once on the front row, once on the 2nd row in the front car and once in the back row, and once in the front row of the back car, and once in the middle. To be honest I've never found anything painful, a few rides were rough, but not rough enough for pain, and colossus seemed smooth, I find rides like ripsaw, wild mouse at PB, Avalanche and anything with a lap bar/otsr that squishes in a painful way problematic , but I still happily ride anything... Then again I've ridden infusion and Odessey and found them ok :lol I don't get the slc hate to be honest. Colossus seems like one of the smoother coasters, I think it's more the intensity throwing you about and the restraints more than roughness, would like to see restraints like on maverick.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:02 pm

I agree with Ryan, although im 5'11 I find Colossus to be smooth. I dont think it has anything to do with the track, its more to do with the trains. Holding your head back is alot better than foreward because on colossus you experience Lat and Vert G's which cause you to move around alot and hit your head on the restrains but if im honest Colossus is perfectly fine!

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:33 pm

I actually love colossus, and agree with the above points. However in comparison front row is 100% the smoothest row. I'm just 6ft and find it to be one of the best rides there in the front row. The only problem I find with the ride is that in the back of the cars, it's extremely difficult to get in and out of the seats.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

Thorpegirl123
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Ryan.B wrote:

Im short and its rough for me. It wasn't the first time I went on which was only about 2 years ago but saying that I was on the 2nd row. Last 2 times I went on I was near the back. It literally banged my head from side to ide all the way round.

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Thorpegirl123 wrote:
I was on colossus yesterday and wish I had gone on wearing a crash helmet. I hit my head to many times to count, so bad it left me with a pounding headache and dizzy all afternoon. It happened last time I went on but this time I could of cried with pain!
whilst I was nothing like what you describe, I do know what you mean, it is a bit of a head banger at times, and the first time I rode it, I felt very tight in my seat* certainly tighter than the other rides, too tight I felt.

*its not a me being fat thing

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Fri May 06, 2016 5:50 pm

I was feeling a bit of love for Colossus and I stumbled across this!
Some of the very first test runs. You can see the difference in height of the sides of the original trains, as well as the logo decals missing from the front. Thought I'd share it with anyone interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDRCBfW4ZSY

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 06, 2016 6:13 pm

As much as I hate the ride, that's some pretty nice footage!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

craig.day.92
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 08, 2016 11:13 am

What a ride.... I think in a next few years would be nice to see a lick of paint and some added theming.