UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

DanM3
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Colossus

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:02 am

I prefer colossus it's a lot less painful and it's 11 years older than the smiler! In 11 years time the smiler will be breaking necks. The smiler looks like a good coaster but when it comes down to it it's rough, not high enough, too compact and very unreliable

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:08 am

Are people really discussing the smoothness of The Smiler? Seriously :lol:

Anyway, back to colossus and less on The Smiler guys. I do take some blame for this treading off topic :lol:

Senator
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Colossus.. It needs a major re theme in my opinion! New trains to lap bars a re paint! Would most certainly make this a close contender to my favourite ride!

Thanks NickiFan

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:15 pm

I personally don't think anything needs changing on this coaster. I think everything the way it is now sort of suits the whole area. When you actually look at the size of it and deeply appreciate every unique little thing on it, it is actually probably one of the most unique, intriguing, well laid out coasters in the uk.
Even the good can fall from grace

obliviongirl
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Personally, I think Colossus is just too dated now. It's old and gives you a headache whenever you ride, except maybe if you queue for front row. I went in the summer, after not visiting for a year, and rode Colossus. The queue was literally colossus (if you'll excuse the pun  :)), and I had to wait two and a bit hours, even though the queue times said 90 minutes. Then when I finally got on, the ride was way less thrilling than I had been anticipating. The inversions were uncomfortable, as were the trains themselves. I got off the ride with a headache, and mentally kicking myself for bothering to queue for so long. To be honest, I think the trains are the main factor to blame, as I think new and more spacious trains would make for a much smoother ride experience.

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Oh, stop your wining about smoothness, it's a ride, and a damn good one as well. I enjoy it more than most B&M's because it's slightly rougher, I have never come off it with a headache and am starting to believe that you all over-dramatize the roughness to any ride. (Yes, this is a rant, sorry mods) If you want a rough ride, go on a Vekoma SLC and try not to get concussion :roll:

My take on the ride is that you have slightly under-sized trains that have comfortable-ish restrains that have been put on a brilliant roller coaster, if you want any more than that, get to Alton, get on Nemmy, and stop moaning about how rough Colossus is *rant over*
Last edited by Jack on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benji
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:10 pm

Last time I went on colossus, I sat right at the back and didn't come off in any pain at all, infact, compared to saw, I found the ride experience really smooth. It is good cause unlike the smiler, where you have to be in the queueline to see most of the ride, you can stand under it and admire it instead of having to stand and watch it from a far. I love especially how close you can get to the quad roll

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:18 pm

^ That is another reason I like it. You are so close you feel the rumble as it shoots  past. :3 I love it!
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:32 pm

obliviongirl wrote:
Personally, I think Colossus is just too dated now. It's old and gives you a headache whenever you ride, except maybe if you queue for front row. I went in the summer, after not visiting for a year, and rode Colossus. The queue was literally colossus (if you'll excuse the pun  :)), and I had to wait two and a bit hours, even though the queue times said 90 minutes. Then when I finally got on, the ride was way less thrilling than I had been anticipating. The inversions were uncomfortable, as were the trains themselves. I got off the ride with a headache, and mentally kicking myself for bothering to queue for so long. To be honest, I think the trains are the main factor to blame, as I think new and more spacious trains would make for a much smoother ride experience.

You don't call an 11 year child old so there's no need to call a coaster old...  :roll:

Credit to NemesisRider

Andyroo
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Personally I enjoy Colossus, yes it doesn't have the best room in the trains nor the smoothest ride.
I do feel really cramped when I get on but as soon as we leave the station I forget that and just enjoy it for what it is.... A great ride even if it is a little rough.

NickiFan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Personally I enjoy Colossus, yes it doesn't have the best room in the trains nor the smoothest ride.
I do feel really cramped when I get on but as soon as we leave the station I forget that and just enjoy it for what it is.... A great ride even if it is a little rough.

I didn't realise it was opposite day, it's rough. A big helping of headbanging.
I asked my cousin again yesterday about Colossus, he said he hated it, I agreed with him.
Obviously, we are all entitled to our own opinion but I and my family all agree it was rough and something we wouldn't do again.

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:39 pm

NickiFan wrote:
Andyroo wrote:

I didn't realise it was opposite day, it's rough. A big helping of headbanging.
I asked my cousin again yesterday about Colossus, he said he hated it, I agreed with him.
Obviously, we are all entitled to our own opinion but I and my family all agree it was rough and something we wouldn't do again.

.....and they lived happily ever after ;)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

JBragg1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Me and my friends came of with a head acc and will never go on again

Kimberley
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:41 am

I personally really enjoy riding Colossus. Yes, it is rough, but if you sit nearer the front then this is reduced :) What I also love about it is how interactive the ride is with the public - it makes walking through Lost City much more interesting when you can watch it go past you at the same time :) I would, however, like to see a more prominent theme, as this is something that I have never really understood about it.
Thanks to Danny for the signature (:

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:18 pm

I don't understand the theming around Thorpe at all. No where near as magical as AT. Ok you have colossus and swarm thay are pretty well themed but that's about it.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:00 pm

tallicay2k wrote:
I don't understand the theming around Thorpe at all. No where near as magical as AT. Ok you have colossus and swarm thay are pretty well themed but that's about it.

Saw is better themed than colossus. Come to think of it what do you think colossus theme is?

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:50 am

danny.g97 wrote:
tallicay2k wrote:

Saw is better themed than colossus. Come to think of it what do you think colossus theme is?

Once on an alton towers forum ...
Members complained about a rough coaster ...
Thorpe park listened in ...
And colossus was born! 

^story of colossus
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Colossus is getting repainted it would seem :P I believe the grey is just a primer for another colour to go on top. Could we finally be seeing this returned to it's original full colour? :D

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Themeparkuk
Last edited by lewis97 on Thu May 14, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renamed after moving post

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 14, 2015 8:50 pm

I really hope so! It is more rusted than The Smiler

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 14, 2015 8:51 pm

And that's saying something ;) :lol I agree though, I would like to see Colossus repainted because it does look quite aged, for something only 13 years old.