UK theme parks from another point of view!

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Colossus

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Does anyone know much about Colossus' history of stalling? It looks like it's running very low on steam when it's going through the rolls!

Unfortunately I have only been to Thorpe Park once and it was closed for 'cleaning', so I am yet to experience it. Can anyone also describe its (apparent) roughness now compared to in its early days?

AstroDan

Re: Colossus stalling

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Colossus stalled during one of the infamous February events, when pretty much every ride was closed in the park.

Colossus is OK at the front, but at the back - it' not simply a case of being rough, it's the fact that the trains are so awfully designed to boot.

Big Dave

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Well ridding corkscrew in a Richter scale 5 earthquake would be smoother than ridding Colossus. I don't know what they have or haven't done to the track and trains, but the roar it makes going round alone is enough to put me off ridding and I use to love the ride when it was new.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 pm

I don't find Colossus rough at all.

There, I said it. :D

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Colossus isn't that rough compared to some coasters, but the hideous train design and horrible restraints make the roughness that is there quite unpleasant. Colossus is the ride I'm most likely to queue front row for, purely because it's smoother

How bad it gets varies significantly, aside from front row I think the front row of each car tends to be better and one train may be smoother than the other, but I don't go to Thorpe often enough to know for sure.

AstroDan

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:00 pm

It is also SHOCKING how DIRE the throughput is. It barely gets 800 an hour most of the time, to me knowledge. Add in Thorpe's hideous fastrack system, disabled guests and it's no wonder the ride gets queues of 1-2hrs even on fairly quiet days!

Dormiens-Dave

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:07 pm

Its terrible really which is a shame because i used to like it, it was a cop-out word first but not a bad ride. It always amazes me that it manages two distinct types of vibration the painful side to side rattle and a rather more subtle vibration that could be quite pleasant :wink:

Though to be fair i have found a ride 50 times more painful than collosus (Gouderix at Parc Astric, i thought i had broken my Jaw!)

AstroDan

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Goudurix is a Vekoma 7-looper with a hideous W inversion. From 1989. If that's not an excuse, I don't know what is.

Colossus is unfortunate. The coaster that put Thorpe on the map in 2002 - yet one with a very bad throughput and one that hasn't aged well either.

I wonder if that repaint is going ahead at the moment?

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
I wonder if that repaint is going ahead at the moment?

Repaint as in new colours, or existing colours, d'you know?

Reading the above, strikes me that I've never ridden Colossus front row, and that's really something I should try and do this year. Who knows, it may restore a tiny iota of 'like' for that ride, 'cause as it is, although I will ride it, I don't really enjoy it. I barely fit in half the seats (and don't fit in the other half - long legs), and I just find the experience rather uncomfortable and in places painful :|

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:19 am

DO NOT GIVE THAT RIDE AN EXCUSE :-) to be fair though you do have a point

I love the fact the throughput is so bad the fast track queue was 30min last time i bought one

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Anonymous

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:26 am

As John has said, colossus isn't that rough. It's just the trains! :|

For those who don't know what Gouduriiix is. Here is a picture I took October this year. Horrible ride, ranked my worst in the world.

Big Dave

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:31 am

Im a fan of rough rides and was probably the only person who went on above ride and loved it. Yes it was rough as hell, but so was corkscrew and I loved that ride also, but when you think that Colossus is the same age as air and yet air manages to be silky smooth and Colossus feels like you seat is fastened to a jack-hammer!

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:35 am

On a roughness scale of one to one hundred:

Corkscrew: 62
Gouderix: 98
Collosus: 60

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:58 am

"Dormiens-Dave" wrote:
On a roughness scale of one to one hundred:

Corkscrew: 62
Gouderix: 98
Collosus: 60

I've never been on Gouderix, but if you rank it 36 points above a Corkscrew then I am going to find it difficult to sleep tonight knowing such a ride exists. :shock:

Cheers for your answers guys.

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:02 am

This is not me being a drama queen, for about 10 seconds on that ride i actually thought i had broken my jaw

Anonymous

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:05 am

I agree with Dave.

I was sat at the front with Pedro and as soon as we got of the lift... it just HURT all the way around, I just looked at pedro in shock whilst going around... He was laughing, It was so bad! lol

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:06 am

Ha ha, crikey! What is The Ultimate on your scale then?

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 am

The ultimate cannot be scaled, it is just painful but i enjoy it.

To be honest the ultimate is the only time i see what these people into sex pain enjoy. Though after the hole i dug with Badger earlier i would like to clarify here and now nipple clamps are not my thing

[Archive]

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:22 am

I went on Gouderix recently...

Seriously, what's the problem? Yes, everybody came off saying it was bumpy, but it wasn't nearly as bad as you are all making out. Corkscrew was probably more rough by far.

I don't know, maybe I had it on a good day? It was still very rough, though. Quite unimaginative as well. About on par with Colossus, I thought for both layout and roughness. Colossus has much better interaction and landscaping, however.

ReZourceman
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:40 am

Its the crampedness on Collossus. Just...what is happening. Did they design the trains for dwarves? Its so uncomfortable. And trying to walk past/passed the train to put your bag in the baggage holders...nightmare.