UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Slammer

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:25 pm

Quite a few people have been asking about this on Thorpe Park's Facebook page. From what I can see their usual response has been:

Thorpe Park Official Facebook page wrote:
We plan to open all rides with the exception of Slammer. Thanks

I'm guessing this means it hasn't been open yet this season.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks Lakey. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be open for Southern Screamer. But its looking very unlikely at the moment
Even the good can fall from grace

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:40 pm

ladyofthelake wrote:
Quite a few people have been asking about this on Thorpe Park's Facebook page. From what I can see their usual response has been:

Thorpe Park Official Facebook page wrote:
We plan to open all rides with the exception of Slammer. Thanks

I'm guessing this means it hasn't been open yet this season.

As of last Saturday (5th April) the ride has been close, yes.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:33 pm

And they were planning to get it open for Fright Nights 2013. :roll:

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 pm

They have stopped testing with engineers and they seem to be testing the ride with staff. So I would expect slammer to open soon unless it hits more technical difficulties.

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:41 pm

sw7nutter wrote:
unless it hits more technical difficulties.

because thats totally not going to happen ;)

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:08 am

It appears that Slammer will be removed or SBNO this year. Thorpe Park tweeted "Hey guys, yes the Slammer is closed for the foreseeable future." So they don't plan to open it soon. It's a shame, because the slammer is such a unique ride and I never got the opportunity to ride it myself. But I believe the manufacturer of the ride closed and therefore it is difficult to get replacement parts? Is that true?

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:47 pm

JammyBand wrote:
It appears that Slammer will be removed or SBNO this year. Thorpe Park tweeted "Hey guys, yes the Slammer is closed for the foreseeable future." So they don't plan to open it soon. It's a shame, because the slammer is such a unique ride and I never got the opportunity to ride it myself. But I believe the manufacturer of the ride closed and therefore it is difficult to get replacement parts? Is that true?

I've been keeping an eye on Thorpe Parks tweets and have not seen that tweet and i've been looking daily since March.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Dom wrote:
JammyBand wrote:

I've been keeping an eye on Thorpe Parks tweets and have not seen that tweet and i've been looking daily since March.

I don't know the first thing about Twitter, but perhaps it wasn't a public tweet? I'm not really sure if that's possible, but it's an idea.

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:53 pm

S&S are still around but they may not supply parts for the ride anymore. Personally, I'd be happy if Slammer was removed and something better/more reliable was put in its place :)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Am I correct in saying that Slammer is the only one of its type in the world?

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Yes, I believe so. Also, in regard to it opening, I was at the park last Sunday and I did see it testing but whether it'll be open for guests anytime soon I don't know.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:14 pm

I really didn't enjoy Slammer when I rode it, it was the only time I've ever not felt safe on a ride, however as it is the only one in existence, it gives Thorpe Park something unique in the whole world and it would be a shame to see the ride go forever. I hope they manage to fix it, even if it means it's SBNO this year.

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Here is the actual tweet. Indeed it didn't show up on Thorpe Park's actual tweet list but perhaps this was because they tagged a number of Thorpe Park fan accounts. I don't know, but I saw this as evidence the Slammer may not be open/stay for very long.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:21 pm

I apologies for not believing. I guess i was just hoping that it would open soon. But it doesn't say that it definitely will be closed all season so there is hope

SuperWill
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:19 am

I reckon Slammer will be taken down at the end of the year as it always has issues. I've only been on it twice and that was my first visit to Thorpe last year. Slammer is one of my favourite flat rides at Thorpe and if they take it down, I'll go in a corner and cry. :(

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat May 17, 2014 10:49 pm

We were informed today that Slammer has now been repaired and signed off, however there are currently no evacuation procedures in place. Therefore, Thorpe are reluctant to open the ride as they would have to call the fire brigade in the event of a breakdown.

Whilst this provides assurance that Slammer will reopen at some point, it still remains unknown as to when this will be.

Thorpeaddict
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 31, 2014 3:14 pm

About the tweet, Thorpe park was also replying to people on Facebook saying the exact same thing. But since then, on Facebook they said on the 18th of May...

Slammer is undergoing extensive refurbishment and we hope to announce details real soon/ Thanks

On my visit on the 25th of May, I asked a member of staff that I knew from last year who worked on Slammer and he said that Slammer should hopefully open tomorrow, if not on Tuesday. Obviously this hasn't happened but it just proves it is ready to open very very soon.

On Wednesday it was testing all day, although it was a lot louder than it has been in previous years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP9KUdmgx_Y

Hopefully we will see Slammer open very soon and hopefully it will stay open for the rest of the season :D

definedancing
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Just looked at ride times randomly and noticed that it's open, complete with a 5 minute queue :)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:24 pm

Where are you viewing the queue times for Thorpe Park?