UK theme parks from another point of view!

Nathan_Fisher
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - General Discussion

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Operations were better today in my opinion. I knew stealth, ghost train and flying fish would be closed today however all the rides remained open throughout the day that I am aware of. The Swarm closed briefly due to a guest illness and nemesis inferno was down for around 10 minutes due to a breakdown.
Queues were long which was to be expected with it being summer, free return tickets were offered however as I had an annual pass this wasn't needed. I was told I could recieve one fastrack instead of free return tickets if I showed the letter to a fast track outlet however when doing so was told this wasn't on offer which shows a lack of communication on thorpe parks behalf between the staff.
With regards to the row allocation when boarding rides I found members of staff were assigning guests to rows on Saw and Colossus only and The Swarm and Nemesis inferno were a free for all.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Thorpe have updated their opening times to state that they will now be opening every day of September apart from Wednesday 28th.

Jimbo-1991
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:46 pm

Looking at ridetimes there seems to be so many rides either down or closed , it really does put me off making a trip to Thorpe park. it has my favourite tides in the uk but your lucky if you can get to ride them all on a visit. I don't understand why this park is so unreliable :no:

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:54 pm

The Mirror has been reporting once again on the UK theme park industry, this time THORPE PARK is in the firing line over ride closures...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fa ... es-8711953

Azza1390
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:13 am

Must of been the most unreliable day on the park yesterday thorpes twitter account is spammed with sorry hope your got your return ticket letter.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:16 pm

:lol Why am I not surprised?

All prejudice towards the Mirror aside, this is one of the most factually incorrect articles I've read in quite a while.

The first thing I noticed is that the article was published at 5:02PM on the same day. The park had not even closed for the day.

They reference the queue times website as a source for saying that five rides were closed and those open had long queues. Are they seriously saying that someone at the Mirror was periodically monitoring that website? You have to be at the park to access their official queues site. Aside from this, the queue website is only updated every so often, so if a ride is down for five minutes, it's likely to show on the website as "closed" for at least half an hour, so it's impossible to use this as proof that five rides were down simultaneously, especially when you have no evidence that the site even said this, just a load of "angry parents".

"Nemesis Inferno" is a hyperlink. When you click it, it takes you to the story of the Tsunami derailment. As the two rides are both suspended coasters with red track, it's very easy for the general public to immediately associate the two rides together and to think even less of Thorpe Park, who had nothing to do with the M&D's incident. Agenda much, Mirror?

They then proceed to list example queue times from the day with no evidence whatsoever. 2 hours for SAW is excessive but not unheard of, especially with 3 coasters down. 85 on I'm a Celebrity is due to its dire throughput, it's usually at least an hour in summer anyway. 80 for Tidal Wave is to be expected on the hottest day of the year and an hour for X? The ride usually peaks at around 50, big deal.

There's then a link to a Smiler article. No comment.

A picture of the "two hour queue for SAW" is shown, which is actually a picture of a fairly large queue for Samurai. SAW is under construction in the picture.

A series of Tweets are then listed (presumably as "evidence"?), in which a load of people have a bit of a tantrum because they chose to go to Thorpe Park on the hottest day of the year when multiple rides were listed on the website as being down beforehand. Wow, I really feel for them.

A reference is later made to the evacuation of Colossus a little while back after someone stuck their leg out on the lift hill, before the story comes to an abrupt end.

Thorpe Park have the right to close any ride or part of the park as they wish or need to without notice. In the case of yesterday, some unavailability was advertised on the website beforehand and the park were offering free return tickets. They could have done so much less in terms of customer service and couldn't have done much more when it came to ride availability. What did these people want the park to do? Put them on a broken ride?
Rides on Dragon's Fury since SRQ installed:

2016: 17 | 2017: 35

NeoXIII
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Is anyone going to Summer Nights Reloaded this Friday? Will be at the park pretty much for three days, am looking forward to ride everything until I'm fed up with everything! XD

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:02 pm

All the merlin parks are getting a lot more coverage than the other parks, and I think the reason behind that is the mirror and other newspapers are getting one over on the sun, with their superdays. Towers and Thorpe have ended up in the firing line in a way.
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:59 pm

NeoXIII wrote:
Is anyone going to Summer Nights Reloaded this Friday? Will be at the park pretty much for three days, am looking forward to ride everything until I'm fed up with everything! XD

Having made the last one, unfortunately I won't be able to make the second. I really enjoyed the last one, but with Halloween and Fireworks around the corner I have a lot of visits planned. Work and travel also make this difficult, but have a great time!

Hopefully it will run smoother than before and everything will be open.

Lotty
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:37 pm

Hey guys, does anyone know the situation with Ghost train at the moment. I was planning on making a trip there Monday, but really don't want to go on the off chance it "might" be open

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:46 pm

It's been open for the past week now following its three week closure and has generally been operating fairly reliably from what I've seen and read, aside from today. The earliest it seems to open is around 11.30am though, with this time varying depending on how long it takes to test and ensure that an acceptable number of headsets are working. We'll have to wait and see what the weekend holds...

Azza1390
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:33 pm

My friend has brought his fright nights tickets online but stupidly put the wrong email address in and now doesn't have to reference numbers for the tickets will thorpe let us in with ID and the bank card we paid with??

MarkC
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:55 am

Can we just appreciate how beautiful this is

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:38 am

I didn't think Thorpe had fireworks, it does look good though.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Thorpe used to have an event until 2011

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:34 pm

No idea why they stopped it - was superb.

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Baffles wrote:
No idea why they stopped it - was superb.

Probably the neighbours!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:14 pm

As reported on the SouthParks Facebook page, Thorpe Park have revealed their opening times for next year.

The 2017 season will begin on Thursday 23rd March and run until 1st November. Off-peak days will see the park open 10am-5pm with peak weekends and school holidays having opening times of 9.30am-6pm.
FRIGHT NIGHTS will run on 6th, 7th, 8th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 20th-31st October with the Resort open 10am-10pm. The park will be closed 3rd, 4th, 5th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 17th and 18th October.

armyboy608
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:21 pm

Thorpe Park is fantastic But they need to get rid of the 'I'm a celebrity' and sort out the ghost train.
Also I think it would be great if they reopened the train to the other side of the island.
They could use the train as part of the theming to the area it takes you to.
Although I did enjoy platform 15 this year.
Blair which was terrible and one actor didn't even have his mask on [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:51 pm

Why is there a catwalk on top of stealth if it isn't really needed nor accessible under normal circumstances? Judging by this video there isn't even an anemometer on top.