UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Thorpe Park - General Discussion

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Front row works as follows

Stealth, Nemesis Inferno and Colossus have a seperate queue near the station for it.
Saw and Swarm are own batching, so you decide where you go.

Xtremecoasters_Official
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks for the advice   :D

Think Sunday 6th August will probably be the better option, so will hopefully arrive early enough to beat the crowds. 
Gentlemen, start your engines !!

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 am

A horrific accident has occurred with what seems to be a KMG Afterburner at Ohio State Fair where a gondola fell from the ride while in operation. At least one pereson has died. Whether any action will be taken with Vortex will be interesting to see.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:50 pm

Smiler313 wrote:
A horrific accident has occurred with what seems to be a KMG Afterburner at Ohio State Fair where a gondola fell from the ride while in operation. At least one pereson has died. Whether any action will be taken with Vortex will be interesting to see.

I have been at Lightwater Valley today and heard about the accident from the operator of the Eagle's Claw ride (also an Afterburner) that they had had an email from KMG telling them to suspend operations meaning I was asked to leave the queue. With it being the manufacturer that has said this, I expect the same will have happened with Vortex. 

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Vortex is currently closed at Thorpe Park. It is likely it is because of the horrific incident at the Ohio State Fair, but no official statement has been made by the park. 

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:25 am

Horrible accident, and can totally understand why KMG are stopping operation on similar models to cover themselves. I'm fairly sure these will resume operation fairly quickly though as the incident in Ohio does seem to be a fairly open and shut case of poor maintenance / upkeep from the fair, rather than a manufacturing fault.

JamieDeath
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Anyone know what's going on with Rush? Seems to have been shut for a long time. Also have they actually started removing any parts of Slammer yet? Or could they change their mind and re-open it.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Was on park today so I can answer both.

Rush is apparently having a cable used to help it swing replaced, verious repair equipment is scattered around the arms.

Slammer is SBNO currently, the only thing removed is it's sign and it on the map.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:45 am

Here's a few pictures I took yesterday of Rush, looks like all the cables are being replaced on it: https://imgur.com/a/grbzd

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Thorpe is getting so much stick on social media this morning after their power cut. It seems like operations have been quite abysmal with quite a lot of guests moaning about the seemingly lack of staff on the rides to get more trains on. At the moment everything seems to be on 1 train!

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:27 pm

They seem to have had quite a few power cuts this year, I assume it's the feed(s) coming into the park rather than a local issue? They're also directing people to the on site customer services, I'm guessing that will be snowed under right now! They should probably admit defeat and start offering free return tickets on the next like they have done previously.

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:50 pm

They seemed to suggest that it was a local power cut instead of a park power cut but you can never be sure.

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:15 pm

Thorpe have now confirmed on their Twitter page that Rush will be closed for the remainder of the season due to maintenance.

JamieDeath
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Went yesterday, glad I didn't go today, looks like they are having terrible problems with the weather - all rides apart from derren brown/x look to be shut (not sure how the dodgems are effected by the wind?).

Found this by the clown tent, is this a clue for whats coming next year? (said 'O? 2018') Image

As for Rush, looks to have been dismantled even further than the post further up, seats have been completely removed, took some pics: https://imgur.com/a/tjlVO 

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Legacy could be referring to the new Saw: Legacy AKA Jigsaw film, suggesting a possible revamp for saw alive for 2018.

Pins
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Hey,

Quick random question. I've always noticed that Tidal Wave doesn't really 'float' like say a log flume does, it's just wheels on metal, and sometimes you can visibly see it going round without the water on the drop. However when it reaches the bottom I believe it uses the water as its brakes, bringing it back to a natural speed.

My question is, what would happen if the water was not in the lake at the bottom, or maybe was at too low a level, would it carry on at high speed on the track?

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:47 pm

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
Legacy could be referring to the new Saw: Legacy AKA Jigsaw film, suggesting a possible revamp for saw alive for 2018.

They won't invest any further in Saw Alive. Not after what was said at the Summer Sizzler regarding the boat!

JamieDeath
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Pins wrote:
Hey,

Quick random question. I've always noticed that Tidal Wave doesn't really 'float' like say a log flume does, it's just wheels on metal, and sometimes you can visibly see it going round without the water on the drop. However when it reaches the bottom I believe it uses the water as its brakes, bringing it back to a natural speed.

My question is, what would happen if the water was not in the lake at the bottom, or maybe was at too low a level, would it carry on at high speed on the track?

I would be interested in knowing the answer to this, I was thinking yesterday could the amount of water be lowered to reduce the splash for colder days (or just remove the water completely). I know similar rides use magnetic breaks, but I am guessing tidal wave just uses the force of the water to slow, and then the momentum to go back to the station? Can't remember ever seeing any pusher wheels or water jets or anything to help it get back to the station after the drop. 
A bit unrelated, but would love them to fix the effects (church/water tank) and add back the fire jet. Don't want them to completely refurbish it/retheme it though, it is one of my favourite rides just because of the theme.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Tidal Wave's water stays at a constant level to ensure the boat is slowed down appropriately. If the water level goes down, a sensor will trigger an alarm and the ride will shut down.

There are pumps near the station that push water around the circuit to ensure the boats keep moving.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Justin wrote:
ThemeCrafter264 wrote:

They won't invest any further in Saw Alive. Not after what was said at the Summer Sizzler regarding the boat!

The only thing I could think is just maybe little nods to the new film, storyline (not that it really did have one) change, or maybe a brand new maze? Walking Dead has had 2 mazes created for this year. Maybe Saw: Alive will be joined by a new addition or dependant on the situation with the boat, shut and a new maze planned?