UK theme parks from another point of view!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:11 pm

I've just had a look and it just states that it is open normal hours throughout the season. I would say though that it is likely to be open an hour before the park opens its gates and a little after, but I can't be sure.

Kenton80
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:16 am

Justin wrote:
I've just had a look and it just states that it is open normal hours throughout the season. I would say though that it is likely to be open an hour before the park opens its gates and a little after, but I can't be sure.

Thanks Justin

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:10 pm

I don't know if this was noted but Thorpe Park have updated their events page featuring the dates for their events.

https://www.thorpepark.com/events
I'm the boy with the bubbles

JamieDeath
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Visited last Sunday (Easter), thought I'd give a quick summary on my thoughts.

Went on TWDTR first - review posted in the other ride thread.

The rapids have definitely been worked on, and have greatly increased in speed and roughness. You actually get quite wet now! They just need to add some themeing or maybe slap some TWD IP on it to draw in the masses.

I was really impressed by park operations - two trains running on everything, I think Colossus started out with just the one but they added a second later on which dramatically shortened the wait time. Although the apps queue times and the actual queue times for everything seemed to be completely out of sync, not to sure what was going on there.  Rush was also running on both arms, which I think is a first for me to see, although, whenever I went to try get on it, it had broken down.

Unfortunately, unbeknown to me, Easter Sunday was Traveller's day, and as the day went on more and more turned up, and it seemed the only reason they were there was to cause fights/destroy stuff. It's a shame with the park only being open a few weeks and having been cleaned up, for them to be going around trying to cause as much carnage as possible. The poor ride attendants were having to put up with a lot from them too. A couple of them jumping over air gates for Stealth - seriously wtf? Security were there trying to do as much as they could but they were greatly outnumbered. Oh and on the subject of Stealth, the audio is completely out of sync now, and the last green light bulb still don't work?? Come on. At the end of the day we tried to get the bus back, but it was surrounded by travellers 'rushing them', trying to smash the windows, opening the emergency exit doors etc. We did get on one luckily, and the driver just had to drive with them clinging on from the outside in the end, a few of them were in the bus fighting with each other. 

DBGT: Not really a fan of the new changes. The VR was working well for me (I think, unless for the second VR scene there was something wrong which is why I didn't like the changes).

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Ride Downtime

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Downtime:

So far this season, Quantum has been closed all season, presumably waiting for a new part. Also, Rush has been closed lots and seems to have been closed most of today and The Walking Dead seems to have had quite a bit of downtime as well!
Last edited by Chris on Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Does not need own topic.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:44 pm

JamieDeath wrote:
Visited last Sunday (Easter), thought I'd give a quick summary on my thoughts.

Went on TWDTR first - review posted in the other ride thread.

The rapids have definitely been worked on, and have greatly increased in speed and roughness. You actually get quite wet now! They just need to add some themeing or maybe slap some TWD IP on it to draw in the masses.

I was really impressed by park operations - two trains running on everything, I think Colossus started out with just the one but they added a second later on which dramatically shortened the wait time. Although the apps queue times and the actual queue times for everything seemed to be completely out of sync, not to sure what was going on there.  Rush was also running on both arms, which I think is a first for me to see, although, whenever I went to try get on it, it had broken down.

Unfortunately, unbeknown to me, Easter Sunday was Traveller's day, and as the day went on more and more turned up, and it seemed the only reason they were there was to cause fights/destroy stuff. It's a shame with the park only being open a few weeks and having been cleaned up, for them to be going around trying to cause as much carnage as possible. The poor ride attendants were having to put up with a lot from them too. A couple of them jumping over air gates for Stealth - seriously wtf? Security were there trying to do as much as they could but they were greatly outnumbered. Oh and on the subject of Stealth, the audio is completely out of sync now, and the last green light bulb still don't work?? Come on. At the end of the day we tried to get the bus back, but it was surrounded by travellers 'rushing them', trying to smash the windows, opening the emergency exit doors etc. We did get on one luckily, and the driver just had to drive with them clinging on from the outside in the end, a few of them were in the bus fighting with each other. 

DBGT: Not really a fan of the new changes. The VR was working well for me (I think, unless for the second VR scene there was something wrong which is why I didn't like the changes).

Oh god that's terrible. That'd have really annoyed me. I can't believe there's people that think that's ok
Follow theleafletarchive on Instagram!

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but It looks like the Bush BBQ is going to be rebranded to "Sticky Sisters" with no real idea on what it will offer.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:18 pm

I think it is only a temporary outlet, but it sounds like it will be ribs etc.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:43 pm

The brand’s website gives some idea of what to expect. It does look reasonably appealing, although the reviews are mixed.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 pm

KFC is going to love that :lol

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Still Quantum is closed. Anyone know what’s wrong with it? Is it waiting for a part of something worse?
Rocky Express has also been down for about a week as well which means that Old Town currently just has two old, small rides in that whole area working.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Quantum has had scaffolding around it for a few weeks and is in the same condition so I can only assume that yes it needs a part as the supports which work the ride are exposed from the theming. I did see some staff at one point today inspecting the ride.

As well as this, Rush was running on one arm yesterday and was closed all day today. At the end of the day it was testing both arms so I can only assume they have been fixing the furthest arm from the entrance (the one that was shut) today. The operation cycle seems to be shorten, it felt like the cycle was over quicker compared to previous seasons.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:46 pm

An intriguing article from Attractions Management with some comments from Dominic Jones, Divisional Director for Thorpe Park.

Exclusive: Thorpe Park's Dominic Jones upping the ante with new immersive ride experiences

Dominic Jones, the man in charge of Britain's Thorpe Park, wants to up the ante when it comes to theme parks, with plans to take its IPs to a whole new level as part of immersive ride experiences.

Thorpe Park has heavily invested in ride theming, particularly in recent years, with Derren Brown's Ghost Train and the rebranded Walking Dead rollercoaster both prime examples of this.

Speaking exclusively to Attractions Management, Jones, who was named divisional director of the park in January last year, said that immersion was key to creating memorable experiences for visitors, not just riding the ride itself.

"What we're trying to do with all of our experiences and rides is making them more than just that," he said. "We want you to be immersed in whatever world it is and that's what we've done here."

After securing the exclusive rights to the Walking Dead brand last year, Thorpe Park has gone all in, creating Halloween-themed horror mazes based on the property and now opening the former X: No Way Out as the rebranded Walking Dead: The Ride. Combining the elements of a traditional horror maze with a rollercoaster, the unique addition to the park has completely refreshed the offering, turning the formerly empty queue lines into one of the park's most popular attractions.

"What's been nice about this ride is the level of theming," said Jones. "It's been really important for me since I've been that everything we put in, we get to that level of theming and immersion.

"We spent a lot of the budget on making sure the theming for Walking Dead is spot on. We've had the creators come over and work with us on it. We've got everything from the iconic bits of the show to hidden stuff and little nods."

With the British summer fast approaching, Jones promised another "game-changer" for the park – last year's being the Walking Dead additions.

"For me, we need to put the guests at the heart of everything we do," said Jones.

"We call it 'guest obsession' – everything we're doing over the next five years, we look at 'how do we make sure we're guest obsessed?' It's about getting that thrill potential back. It's important to reinforce that with Walking Dead: the Ride and everything we're doing with the Walking Dead.

"I can't reveal our plans for the summer because we're currently in the contract stages. What I can say is it's another game-changer. You're not going to want to miss it."

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:04 pm

Thats a very interesting article.. they should implement "guest obsession" at every RTP :lol Dare I say, Alton needs it this year :P 

Looking forward to hearing what they've got planned for the summer! :)

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:02 am

When I was there a couple of weeks ago it seemed like they were prepping for some work in the small lot next to I'm a Celebrity, where the Fanta VR experience went last year. If I had to guess, this will be where any new temporary thing will be again this year.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Thorpe Park have revealed on their website that on Saturday 19th May, as well as being open 10am-10pm, they will also be televising both the Royal Wedding and the FA Cup Final match between Chelsea & Manchester United.

Islanders!

We’ve just had the sunniest April in history and lots of you made your way down to the Island Like No Other for some fun in the sun! We loved seeing all of your pictures of ice creams, sun-kissed coasters and Tidal Wave splashes so much so that we want to treat you all to the details of our next completely unmissable event.

On Saturday 19th May we’ve decided to extend our park opening hours from 10am until 10pm to launch the summer in true THORPE PARK Resort style. That is a whole 12 hours of non-stop theme park action. What could be better than that?

Join us on the Island Like No Other to celebrate the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for a right royal knees up! Where better to have a wedding breakfast than Inferno’s Pizza and Pasta Buffet and who needs wedding cake when you can enjoy donuts from the Donut Factory until 10pm.

Of course, you can take on your own variant of a first dance by experiencing all the twists and turns of Wedding Day Waltz by whizzing round on the ten loops of Colossus or flying around on THE SWARM (bonus points for any of you who turn up in a full Bridal Gown or Tuxedo). We will be showing the Royal Wedding in the dome so bring a hanky if you get emotional at weddings (I know I do)

For those of you who want to hide away from all things Royal Wedding related we also have your backs. Take on our incredible rollercoasters and fantastic thrill rides for the entire day without a second thought about anything else! My personal favourite is a sunset ride on SAW-The Ride or an early evening launch on Stealth.

We're also going to be showing The FA Cup Final ( Chelsea vs Manchester United) in the dome for those who may want a break from 12 hours of non stop rides or just don't want to miss the match!

If you can’t be with us all day on Saturday 19th May then fret not. We’re offering those of you who can’t visit until after 5pm the chance to join us for just £10. You can only buy these tickets for admission between 5pm and 10pm so if you wish to be with us all day then these aren’t the tickets for you. You can pick those tickets up here!

The Walking Dead: The Ride will be exclusively open to Annual Pass and Local Pass holders between 6pm and 10pm with the ride closing to non-Annual Pass holders at 6pm. To ensure that as an Annual Pass or Local Pass holder you’re allowed access to The Walking Dead: The Ride for this exclusive experience you will need to show your annual pass at the entrance of the ride.

To experience the event to the full, get yourself a THORPE PARK Resort Annual Pass for just £49 so you pay once and can come back for an entire year of unmissable events.

Meet you at the Safe Zone!

James

Official THORPE PARK Resort Blogger

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 10:34 pm

That's a brilliant way to start summer! I love Thorpe Park!

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Thorpe Park have announced the dates of this years Ministry of Sound nights. Rides until 11pm, music until 3am. £10 entry (I'm unsure if it's included in Annual Passes, guessing not though as it's not strictly a Merlin event)

https://www.thorpepark.com/ministry-of-sound

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri May 04, 2018 7:02 pm

Earlier today, THORPE PARK Official revealed more details for the Apocalypse Weekends taking place every weekend from 12th May until 24th June.

Tasked with collecting vital supplies for the THHORPE PARK Safe Zone, guests will need to download the THORPE PARK Resort App, and use their map to find five locations where there will be supplies waiting for them to scan. Once complete, guests will need to make their way back to the Safe Zone to check in and claim their reward – a free return ticket, and for Annual Pass holders an exclusive pop badge.

Take a look at THORPE PARK Resort’s Official Blog for all the details.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm very excited for Apocalypse weekends. I've been really interested in these new, unique ways that parks have been trying to really put guests in the heart of experiences that don't end when the ride does. Apocalypse weekends seem to be a perfect match for this. I'm curious whether it's an AR app, like the original version of Battle for Cedar Point where you have to go around and find AR triggers to make scenes happen, or if it will be like the Smiler's video game app where I think it was QR (not 100% certain tho never used it).

Walking Dead: The Ride 
Spoiler: show
I like how from the message it plays into a main theme of the ride, since the ride's main theme is that they've run out of supplies, I noticed hints to that everywhere  

There is one downside I've noticed and that is that I think the pop pin prizes are rather uninspired, and aren't exactly a prize I'd love to win (at least the design they have on that post that Dan put up). I think they could have put a much cooler design on them, that fans would actually be inspired to win.