UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:55 am

Another flat looks to have gone pop. Detonator has the attraction unavailable sandwich board this week.

Maintenance has lifted the carriage up and are currently inspecting the insides of the base.

Edit: Make that two. Rush currently has a man climbing to the top.
Edit 2: Rush just needed regular quick maintenance and is back up again on one arm.
Edit 3: Maintenance are working in the Vortex control room. Looks like they may be replacing some electronics/electrical bits in there.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Thorpe Park have updated their website with some more information on Zombie Hunt, which will run between 21st July-3rd September.

A hoard of zombies has invaded the woodland on the outskirts of THORPE PARK Resort – and we need your help to hunt them down before we have an epidemic on our hands! Grab your weapons and join the cause as you head into the woods in this extreme battle for survival.

The below images taken from Thorpe Park’s Instagram story, suggest Zombie Hunt will take place on the old Canada Creek Railway line, with Zombie Hunt being advertised as in association with “Courageous Citizens Recruitment”.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:35 pm

The Love Island Lates tickets are now available, with it only costing £10 for Standard MAP and Thorpe Park season pass holders. The event is free for PMAP and VMAP holders.
credit to sam!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Dan wrote:
Thorpe Park have updated their website with some more information on Zombie Hunt, which will run between 21st July-3rd September.

A hoard of zombies has invaded the woodland on the outskirts of THORPE PARK Resort – and we need your help to hunt them down before we have an epidemic on our hands! Grab your weapons and join the cause as you head into the woods in this extreme battle for survival.

The below images taken from Thorpe Park’s Instagram story, suggest Zombie Hunt will take place on the old Canada Creek Railway line, with Zombie Hunt being advertised as in association with “Courageous Citizens Recruitment”.

It will be interesting to see what form this takes. To me, it sounds like a laser quest style attraction. I can see participants putting on a pack, then walk through shooting targets on mannequins and the odd actor.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:01 pm

I think I agree. It will either be laser quest or paintball or Nerf. I do like the little reference in the posters too
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Paintball would make a lot of sense from the realism aspect. But if this is going to have actors, they'll have to be paying them danger money!

I'm assuming the QR codes go to the standard Thorpe website? Although they have covered them up in the photos so maybe they give more info.

Edit: Took a closer look at the promotional picture and they look very much like laser tag. You can see a cable clip to what looks like a sensor on the guy to the left.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Thorpe apparently has a new summer map, which I'm sure will finally resolve the question of whether Colossus was meant to shut down.

Source: @CorkscrewCoast on Twitter.

Trouble is, if you look on their website for the online version, you find that they haven't updated the homepage link for a few years...

Source: Thorpe Park homepage / Key Information / Park Map

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:55 pm

If the issues with Colossus were unexpected, and the leaflets would probably have been printed by the time the park realised that they needed to shut it, so I'd assume it's still on the map, even if it's never going to reopen. 

As for the out of date web info... that's The Merlin Way. Most incompetent theme park operators in the world. 

Joel Allen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:48 pm

Colossus, as well as vortex are both on the summer map. You can see this on the Thorpe Park instagram account. This is good to see. I hope Colossus and vortex re-open soon. I hope they can resolve the problem on Colossus’ cobra roll and it seems they are already trying to do that.
Attachments
3C972B40-4515-4456-A492-1A7CCC7421A8.jpeg
3C972B40-4515-4456-A492-1A7CCC7421A8.jpeg (160.56 KiB) Viewed 971 times

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:14 pm

Thorpe Park has posted this teaser on Instagram to promote the Zombie Hunt event.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Price £0.00, interesting.

Didn't think this would be a free event and it's not listed as included with season pass on the website. But strange to include that part if it isn't, or at least some aspect of it is free.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:13 am

I’m not sure if I’m just being silly and stating the obvious but could the reason be for the weird name “Courageous Citizens Recruitment” be an Easter egg? I mean if it is where we think it’ll be, then won’t it be following the Canada Creek Railway? If so this is an adorable Easter egg!

I’m excited for Zombie Hunt, but not really certain what to expect. I think it’s going to be an interesting middle ground between Living Nightmare and Apocalypse Weekends, with the actor/immersion level of LN and the interactivity of AW - basically taking the best parts of each. This is a crazy idea but maybe they’re going to use the old CCR trains and hide zombies around the woods and you get on the train and go around? It would be so cool now that logger’s leap is all defunct looking, they wouldn’t even need to do themeing. I’ve seen the paintball zombie idea work as only hayrides before so this would be an interesting variant on it and it makes sense that they’d make matching acronyms to CCR, if they planned on using the old trains. That said it’s a lot of effort for a 6 week short run and I doubt the track/trains are in any sort of working shape.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 am

Unfortunately the track has been torn up round the Platform 15 route! It's a great idea but a little bit impossible :lol

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:21 pm

Samurai seems to have been down the last few days. Anyone know what’s up with it?

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Unsure about this time, but this is the second time its been down this season. When it was down a few weeks ago they were working on the control boxes on each arm and had the cherry picker out, so it's already had one fairly large service.

Looks like Rumba Rapids also went out of service yesterday and remains closed today.

TobyOfTheTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:27 pm

ThemeParkEwan wrote:
Colossus reopened today, had a ride on it and it didnt feel much different. However after coming off I saw a group of men trying to steal from the shop, whether the staff were intimidated or not, it's absolutely disgusting and Merlin aren't doing everything they can to keep staff and guests safe from this. It's obvious that there isn't enough security on park!

I've posted this in this forum section, but I've also had bad experiences with Thorpe Park in the past. A couple of weeks ago me and a couple of friends were in the annual pass hut trying to get tickets. It was a boiling hot day and there was no air-con or fans in the building and because the park was very busy that day, we were all squeezed in. Anyway, whilst we were queuing a girl fainted. She was lying on the floor for about 5 minutes and, despite the large heard of people trying to revive her, none of the staff realised - and if they did, shame on them because they didn't respond. Eventually, after about 10 minutes, security and a team of medics walked over leisurely. By then, the girl was revived anyway so there was hardly any point of them even coming. Fright Nights is also a terribly rough event. I've been made fun of, threatened, witnessed people queue jumping and seen underage people taking drugs at Fright Nights. Security at the place seem useless no matter when you visit.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:07 pm

TobyOfTheTowers wrote:
A couple of weeks ago me and a couple of friends were in the annual pass hut trying to get tickets. It was a boiling hot day and there was no air-con or fans in the building and because the park was very busy that day, we were all squeezed in. Anyway, whilst we were queuing a girl fainted. She was lying on the floor for about 5 minutes and, despite the large heard of people trying to revive her, none of the staff realised - and if they did, shame on them because they didn't respond. Eventually, after about 10 minutes, security and a team of medics walked over leisurely. By then, the girl was revived anyway so there was hardly any point of them even coming.

This is terrible.

I've been involved in a similar situation at a Disney park and staff were on scene within barely a couple of minutes. Security literally ran, in 30 degree heat, and were a lot older and in less physical shape than Thorpe security, to get there and take charge. Medical were on scene shortly after, closely followed by management and an ambulance crew were on standby.

Security and medical should never be taking a leisurely stroll to any incident.

TobyOfTheTowers wrote:
Fright Nights is also a terribly rough event. I've been made fun of, threatened, witnessed people queue jumping and seen underage people taking drugs at Fright Nights. Security at the place seem useless no matter when you visit.

By any chance did you go on a Sunday early on in the fright night weekends?

Last time I went to Fright Night I left early, as I got the feeling something could easily kick off. The atmosphere around the Amity area was a bit standoffish at best.

I noticed for the school holiday week they had installed body scanners, which seemed more than the metal detectors they occasionally use. I was there the day before and they were changing the entrance layout so it looked like everyone would have to go through. Decided to not bother going back that week...

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 pm

Thorpe have released a short teaser trailer for Zombie Hunt. Hopefully this means that they will be using live actors as zombies. Though still not sure how it will all work.

https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/1 ... 97955?s=19

Amusingly, they've used one of the Negan actors for this. So my first thought was, oh look, it's Negan! :lol

It should also be noted that there was/is an annual pass event scheduled for the same day Zombie Hunt opens. But as of yet, no firm information has been given about whether the event is still even going ahead. But maybe they'll be giving a passholder only session that day?

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Yeah, it does look like a laser gun type game. Or it will just be squirting water or something?!

Collossalsaw
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm

I think Vortex should be reopening soon as I sent Thorpe Park a message about it and they said: “It’s getting some TLC".
Last edited by Dan on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct topic