UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 646
Joined: April 2018

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:13 am

Dan wrote:
However, if anyone was wishing to go, It appears from the Eventbrite ticket site that tickets for the event have already sold out.

Ran out within an hour from what I could tell, but you can still ride the other attractions until 10pm without a booking.

Tickets can now be purchased to reserve queue line entry time slots for Zombie Hunt. Each reservation costs £1.50 per person, and are available in half hour slots between midday and 5pm for the duration of the event. It's unclear whether you need to book a ticket to enter the attraction regardless, or if this is similar to the reservation system used elsewhere within the Merlin attractions, where a nominal fee is charged per online reservation.

https://www.thorpepark.com/events/zombie-hunt

The booking page also confirms the guns are laser guns :).

The Fight Back begins 21st July, grab your laser guns and hunt down the zombies!

A horde of ravenous zombies have been spotted in the woodland on the outskirts of THORPE PARK Resort and they MUST be hunted down and eradicated before we have an epidemic on our hands.

Please Note: This ticket does not give you access to THORPE PARK Resort, you will also need to purchase a day ticket. This ticket reserves your start time in the queue.
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 646
Joined: April 2018

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Double-post, but I've just received an update from Thorpe on the Annual Fastrack Pass terms and conditions, who have now also updated the product page for this pass. To say they aren't good, is an understatement.

Get the ultimate adrenaline kick and beat the queues with unlimited Fastrack rides all year long on our biggest and best rides.

Please note: This Fastrack pass does not give you access to the Resort.

Valid from date of collection to end of our 2018 season.

The Fastrack Seasonal Pass expires at the end of our 2018 season and allows you to experience a reduced queuing time on all Fastrack Rides at any time of the day! Fastrack is available on the following rides: THE SWARM, SAW: The Ride, Stealth, Colossus, Derren Browns Ghost Train, The Walking Dead: The Ride, Nemesis Inferno, Storm Surge, Rumba Rapids, Tidal Wave, Samurai, Vortex, Rush, Kings Pig's Wild Hog Dodgems, ANGRY BIRDS 4D Experience and I'm A Celebrity...Maze!.

Rides subejct to availability, height, age, chest & other restrictions apply.

This excludes FRIGHT NIGHTS mazes, Zombie Hunt and additional paid for attractions.

So a £400 annual pass gives you about 3.5 months of usage and doesn't include any Fright Night mazes.

I just went from probably getting this once the Ts&Cs came in, to not even sure I want to bother going to the park until after the summer craziness. Anyone who bought this from before they updated the terms will have every right to be pretty annoyed with the park now.
 
User avatar
DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2012
Location: The Pits
Contact:

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Swarm Chris wrote:
It's unclear whether you need to book a ticket to enter the attraction regardless, or if this is similar to the reservation system used elsewhere within the Merlin attractions


I did message Thorpe Park about this and they have said it is free for annual pass holders on the day if they want to attend but would advise reserving.

Thorpe Park Twitter wrote:
Hi Jack, Zombie Hunt can be experienced for free on the day at the park, but there are limited tickets available and we anticipate these going very quickly every day.

We encourage guests that are brave enough to join the fight back to prebook online to guarantee their place.
Image
Image
I'm the boy with the bubbles
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 646
Joined: April 2018

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:39 pm

Seeing as Alton has had a lot of attention recently over tents and general movement, it should be Thorpe's turn for some speculation photos! :)

First up, Zombie Hunt is still getting some finishing touches. A fair bit seems to run alongside the old station and back of Timber Tug, but I'm guessing it will exit where Platform 15 finishes, as an archway and some loud speakers have appeared.

Image

Interestingly a lot of bamboo and bushy trees have been moved alongside all of the fencing that used to overlook Loggers Leap, continuing right around to the old level crossing by Samurai. There's now no way to see any part of Loggers Leap from the main park area. It's possible this is to provide more screening for Zombie Hunt, but I would have thought the regular fencing would have been enough for that.

Image

It also looks like Containment will be coming back to this years Fright Nights. They've removed the tent that has been outside the container, but the sign has been left propped up by it.

Image

There's some activity at the site by I'm a Celebrity, but from what I can tell this is a dumping/staging ground for other work. It currently has the tent that used to be outside Containment, some outdoor lighting, concrete structure stands and vehicles. 

And finally, they have sadly fenced off the entirety of the hard standing car park. A handful of cars managed to get into it, but the only entrance to it is by the exit barriers. 
 
User avatar
Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2426
Joined: April 2014
Location: TTSP Forum
Contact:

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks for the great update, Chris!

I do wonder if Zombie hunt will take place around Platform 15 or via the old Blair Witch route. The only thing which confuses me is the arch is close to Saw's ride area. I could be wrong, but I thought the only way they could use that area was to include a tunneled section?

I do believe we have lost Loggers and strongly believe this is the site for the new coaster. Could the additional planting be a screen for construction? Will we see more hints closer to Fright Nights?
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 646
Joined: April 2018

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Ah, so I didn't know they took two different routes (actually I don't know either route fully). If Blair Witch never exited through here, then I could see the whole thing being contained to the other side of Loggers Leap and this archway being the start of Fright Night setting up. There are plenty of things for Zombie Hunt that you can see the tops of in the area behind and alongside the old train station. This archway was the only thing I could see on that side of Loggers Leap (although I didn't ride Saw).

I get the feeling the installation of extra screening will be to let them work in this area. Although any privacy they have will be lost come Fright Night you would expect. I'd somewhat expect the next time we can see into this area Loggers will be gone.

Meanwhile, the island behind Swarm island remains happily overgrowing.
 
User avatar
Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2426
Joined: April 2014
Location: TTSP Forum
Contact:

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:45 pm

When you posted your pictures, I did wonder if the arch was the beginning of Platform 15 construction. One to keep an eye on! :)
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 646
Joined: April 2018

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Figured out why they had fenced off the hard standing car park. They completely filled it with coaches from school trips today!

This week would be a really bad time to visit. Unless you're a school kid who is getting a day away from the classroom I guess... :lol
 
User avatar
Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2691
Joined: June 2009
Location: Lincoln

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Thorpe Park have updated the blog on their website with an article about Love Island Lates.

Right, don’t know if you’ve noticed but it’s been mysteriously hot for the past couple of weeks, we’ve worn shorts for more days consecutively than we ever have in our whole life and we actually did pretty well in a certain international football tournament. Yep, welcome to Summer in the UK 2018 – for some reason it’s actually been pretty good so far and we’re not one to question it or tempt fate (although are you even British if you’re not slightly suspicious if the sun shines for more than two days in a row?)

You might ALSO be aware of a little TV show called Love Island. Every night it’s on, social media pretty much explodes and even we’ve found ourselves routing for our favourite couple to win (Jack and Dani, obviously) and marvelling at just how white everybody’s teeth are and wondering why ours don’t look like that. Basically, it’s excellent, addictive TV at its finest and we can’t get enough. We’re obsessed. So much so that we’re building our very own version of the Love Island villa right here on the Island like no other and we’re inviting all of you to join us for a summer of cracking on, getting mugged off and [insert other Love Island reference here].

What is it, we hear you cry? We originally wrote another 1000 words about how amazing Love Island Lates is going to be but we realised this was massively going off on a tangent, so we’ve decided to condense it down into bullet points for you instead:

- On Amity Beach, 6PM-10PM every Thursday, Friday and Saturday in Summer

- Runs 26th July – 1st September 2018

- Join in with Love Island inspired games to win prizes

- Embrace the villa vibes with an Island inspired glitter makeover at our glitter bar

- Relax with a Love Island inspired cocktail

- Hit the dance floor and enjoy music every night of the event

- Take pics with iconic sets from the show and our fabulous selfie wall

- PLUS surprise visits from your favourite Islanders



The best part? It’s INCLUDED in your day ticket! So that means you can rock up at 10AM, get your coaster on and stuff yourself silly at Inferno’s Pizza & Pasta buffet then see the sun set on the Island from 6PM at Love Island Lates.

PLUS if you fancy just popping in for the evening, you can grab a ticket for £10 to access the entire park 6PM-10PM.

Finally, if Love Island really isn’t your thing then never fear – Love Island Lates is located on Amity Beach, so you can simply bypass it and still take advantage of our rides being open until 10PM! Everyone’s a winner.

We don’t want to be cliché and tell you it’s going to be a long, hot summer, but guys…it’s going to be a long, hot summer. Join us for Love Island Lates starting 26th July.

Jordan

Official THORPE PARK Resort Blogger
Image
Credit to the BubbleBoi
Image
 
User avatar
DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2012
Location: The Pits
Contact:

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Dan wrote:
Thorpe Park have updated the blog on their website with an article about Love Island Lates.

Right, don’t know if you’ve noticed but it’s been mysteriously hot for the past couple of weeks, we’ve worn shorts for more days consecutively than we ever have in our whole life and we actually did pretty well in a certain international football tournament. Yep, welcome to Summer in the UK 2018 – for some reason it’s actually been pretty good so far and we’re not one to question it or tempt fate (although are you even British if you’re not slightly suspicious if the sun shines for more than two days in a row?)

You might ALSO be aware of a little TV show called Love Island. Every night it’s on, social media pretty much explodes and even we’ve found ourselves routing for our favourite couple to win (Jack and Dani, obviously) and marvelling at just how white everybody’s teeth are and wondering why ours don’t look like that. Basically, it’s excellent, addictive TV at its finest and we can’t get enough. We’re obsessed. So much so that we’re building our very own version of the Love Island villa right here on the Island like no other and we’re inviting all of you to join us for a summer of cracking on, getting mugged off and [insert other Love Island reference here].

What is it, we hear you cry? We originally wrote another 1000 words about how amazing Love Island Lates is going to be but we realised this was massively going off on a tangent, so we’ve decided to condense it down into bullet points for you instead:

- On Amity Beach, 6PM-10PM every Thursday, Friday and Saturday in Summer

- Runs 26th July – 1st September 2018

- Join in with Love Island inspired games to win prizes

- Embrace the villa vibes with an Island inspired glitter makeover at our glitter bar

- Relax with a Love Island inspired cocktail

- Hit the dance floor and enjoy music every night of the event

- Take pics with iconic sets from the show and our fabulous selfie wall

- PLUS surprise visits from your favourite Islanders



The best part? It’s INCLUDED in your day ticket! So that means you can rock up at 10AM, get your coaster on and stuff yourself silly at Inferno’s Pizza & Pasta buffet then see the sun set on the Island from 6PM at Love Island Lates.

PLUS if you fancy just popping in for the evening, you can grab a ticket for £10 to access the entire park 6PM-10PM.

Finally, if Love Island really isn’t your thing then never fear – Love Island Lates is located on Amity Beach, so you can simply bypass it and still take advantage of our rides being open until 10PM! Everyone’s a winner.

We don’t want to be cliché and tell you it’s going to be a long, hot summer, but guys…it’s going to be a long, hot summer. Join us for Love Island Lates starting 26th July.

Jordan

Official THORPE PARK Resort Blogger


I think I'm going to say what's on everyone's minds.

This looks amazing, I can't wait to try this! (Scrap Fright Nights, let's have Love Island Lates forever :love)


In all seriousness though, this isn't a bad business move, at the end of the day, it's a business and must appeal to an audience and i can see a lot of people trying this out and enjoying it. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's a nice idea and will appeal to others. It's completely avoidable as well so if you don't like it, you can move on.
Image
Image
I'm the boy with the bubbles
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 646
Joined: April 2018

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Despite being more then happy to poke fun at it, I'm going to stick up for this event. At the end of the day it's adding the summer vibe to the park in stark contrast to seemingly horror everything else, which there's been a fair few complaints about as well. It's also good to see Thorpe taking interest in having different events throughout the year, rather than open in March, Fright Nights in October, close.

I think the big sticking point has been the branding. It's been pretty divisive and given the fairly frequent ethical issues documented in the media, is not one I think Thorpe should have used. If they had been able to use their own branding, I suspect they could have received a better response, or at the very least a lot less negative responses. But it's far simpler to sell something if people already know it, and sadly people know this brand.

I know Thorpe have had a fair amount of push back on this event, with tweets having been deleted because of the comments they received. Whilst I feel damage limitation is too strong a term, I think they are trying to have a refresh on how they present this event. Currently pretty much everything else they've put out has immediately had "love island sucks", "I thought you were a theme park" or "how about you build a roller coaster instead" type comments, plastered across the bottom. The events team seem very passionate and are driven by feedback, so I'm guessing having this as the predominant feedback is not doing their morale any good at the moment.

Edit 23/07/2018: Having seen the publicity photo's they've released, I retract all support for this tacky event. Thorpe went from being involved in a school event promoting STEM events one day to parading Love Island "celebrities" around the park in bikini's for photo shoots and instagram marketing by the kids visiting during schools week, the next. I saw a comment from a teacher that went along the lines of: "We spend all year trying to mold our students into not being these exact people, then Thorpe just go ahead and do this".
Last edited by Swarm Chris on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 582
Joined: June 2015
Location: Devon

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 pm

I find Love Island far more horrifying than any Saw movie on a very fundamental level.
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 646
Joined: April 2018

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Thorpe have announced that there will be three ways of getting tickets for Zombie Hunt.

1. Collect a free timed ticket between 10am-12pm, while spaces remain.

2. Purchase a timed ticket for £1.50 online.

3. Purchase a fastrack timed ticket for £10 online.

Given the tickets are timed in half hour intervals, I really don't understand the £10 fastrack option. They've sneakily said that the free and £1.50 tickets are the time you can enter the queue, but surely if they've managed the numbers then the queue will only be a maximum of 20-30 minutes depending on the attraction length. Otherwise the queue length will just compound throughout the day?

And if anyone bought the 3 month £400 seasonal fastrack package, it's not valid for this attraction.
 
User avatar
Zero666
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 18
Joined: January 2016

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Swarm Chris wrote:
Thorpe have announced that there will be three ways of getting tickets for Zombie Hunt.

1. Collect a free timed ticket between 10am-12pm, while spaces remain.

2. Purchase a timed ticket for £1.50 online.

3. Purchase a fastrack timed ticket for £10 online.

Given the tickets are timed in half hour intervals, I really don't understand the £10 fastrack option. They've sneakily said that the free and £1.50 tickets are the time you can enter the queue, but surely if they've managed the numbers then the queue will only be a maximum of 20-30 minutes depending on the attraction length. Otherwise the queue length will just compound throughout the day?

And if anyone bought the 3 month £400 seasonal fastrack package, it's not valid for this attraction.

Seriously? -_- I purchased the £1.50 tickets because I was of the impression that doing so would guarantee a specific time slot. I booked ours for 3pm so I won't be happy if we don't get to join the hunt at that time and have to spend a long time queuing :|
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 646
Joined: April 2018

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:53 pm

As first spotted by Thorpe Park Mania, It appears that Living Nightmare has re-opened (in it's non-extreme form), as a replacement for the delayed opening of Saw: Alive.

Queue time for it has just updated online to 5 minutes, so looks like it's confirmed to be open.
 
User avatar
Joel Allen
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 75
Joined: December 2017
Location: Bedfordshire
Contact:

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm a Celeb also looks like its opened early today. Good on Thorpe :)
 
User avatar
Zero666
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 18
Joined: January 2016

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Swarm Chris wrote:
As first spotted by Thorpe Park Mania, It appears that Living Nightmare has re-opened (in it's non-extreme form), as a replacement for the delayed opening of Saw: Alive.

Queue time for it has just updated online to 5 minutes, so looks like it's confirmed to be open.


That’s definitely cheered me up! Have they said how long it’ll be open? I missed it both this year and at Fright Nights last year :(
 
User avatar
Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2691
Joined: June 2009
Location: Lincoln

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:24 pm

I imagine it’ll only be open until Saw Alive is ready, as that was meant to be open from tomorrow until the end of the summer holidays. However, we don’t have any indication as to how long that will be :)
Image
Credit to the BubbleBoi
Image
 
User avatar
Zero666
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 18
Joined: January 2016

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Dan wrote:
I imagine it’ll only be open until Saw Alive is ready, as that was meant to be open from tomorrow until the end of the summer holidays. However, we don’t have any indication as to how long that will be :)


What changes are they making to it? There isn’t a lot of info in the Saw Alive topic atm. Hopefully it won’t be open when I go on August 8th (that sounds awful, sorry! ;))
 
User avatar
Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2691
Joined: June 2009
Location: Lincoln

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Zero666 wrote:
What changes are they making to it? There isn’t a lot of info in the Saw Alive topic atm. Hopefully it won’t be open when I go on August 8th (that sounds awful, sorry! ;))


As far as I’m aware, there aren’t any changes being made to the actual maze. It’s more likely to be a case that it’s not been signed off for use yet by H&S, whereas Living Nightmare will have been due to it being open during May Half Term.
Image
Credit to the BubbleBoi
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests