UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:57 pm

So after Thorpe stated they were extending their opening hours, they've now seemingly reversed the decision and have added a whole load of closed days back into September.

This has been the calendar for the last day or so. But in the last day I've seen their social media confirm that both the open every day calendar and this 3 days a week closed calendar, are correct. So I think you take your chances on the park actually being open Monday-Thursday in September... :roll: But it should be noted that the ticketing system now matches this latest calendar.

They also released another teaser for Fright Nights via social media that seems to contain a Big Top reference. But honestly, I don't have much confidence it means anything, given the recent inaccuracies.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 am

For anyone heading to Thorpe over the next few weeks, keep in mind that the wind will likely be the biggest cause for ride availability issues at the park. Also remember the rides at Thorpe are fairly exposed and it can be calm on the ground in the park, whilst being really windy on the rides.

Sadly they don't release the figures for when rides will stop working, but I have it in my mind that 10-15mph was the borderline for when things start closing. So far this year operations have been pretty good in terms of weather, but I remember several cases last autumn where a lot of the park was closed. Tomorrow is meant to be a fairly windy day, so it will give a good gauge of what restrictions are in place for this year.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Oh boy, it appears that one of the foam padding signs to notify a seat being out of use has fallen off during operation on Saturday.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7273448/t ... 1537135360
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:24 pm

I've been trying to figure out what exactly this thing was that flew off, along with what exactly they mean by foam padding. It looks pretty large and most padding on attractions is fairly dense, so I can't imagine it would do anyone any favours if they collided with it on the ride.

But then again, it can't have been that concerning to the park, seeing as how they must have got management authorisation to reopen it and in such a short space of time. But still far from ideal.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:41 pm

DeadJack5 wrote:
Oh boy, it appears that one of the foam padding signs to notify a seat being out of use has fallen off during operation on Saturday.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7273448/t ... 1537135360

Could someone copy the article onto here for those who choose not to be bombarded with ads.
[Insert Signature Here]

Sozzy40
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:17 pm

I can see why the beornen worship Wicker Man

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Flew over the park today. The car park looked empty at 3pm :lol

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:10 pm

That's good news, I'm going next Sunday. Fingers crossed it will be empty then too!
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:22 pm

With the park heading into Spooky Season, it appears that the gentler rides in Old Town will only operate 10am-2pm on Fright Night day. Something to be aware of, if bringing smaller ones to the park.

This includes: Rocky Express, Timber Tug and Lumber Jump.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Thorpe Park car park charges have changed again.

The prices are now:

£8 online in advance.
£10 at the Island Ticket Centre, Admissions, or Fastrack Outpost.
£15 at the gate, contactless payments only.
Free for VIP and Premium Merlin Pass holders.

The FAQ on this is an entertaining read. Essentially blaming the customers for all issues surrounding parking, parking charges and delays on leaving. Not that their system is terrible.

Our online car parking price is £8. This is our cheapest price and we recommend booking online in advance, you can do that here. If you choose to pay on the day at the Island Ticket Centre, Admissions or the Fastrack Outpost, you will be charged £10.

We operate a barrier system on exit, please be considerate of our other guests and ensure you have your ticket ready to be scanned when leaving.

If you choose not to purchase your car parking ticket before the barriers, you will be charged £15. We accept contactless payments only at the barriers.

Can't see them only accepting contactless payments at an incredibly inflated rate causing any issues at the gates in the next few weeks... :roll:

Edit: So they had issues that very evening. Reportedly a 90-120 minute queue to leave the car park, which led to the usual cacophony of car horns. Responses from Thorpe that I've seen have included blaming customers for the delays and that the barriers make no difference to the grid lock getting out. Now they're suggesting they're looking at changes for next season.

Here's the thing though: there are 4 gates, with each taking about a minimum of 30 seconds per car if the scanners are being used. That's roughly a maximum of 480 cars an hour, assuming everyone has paid. Compare that with no artificial delay and a roundabout that will have little to no other traffic at 10pm at night, with 1 lane going left to the M25 at 40mph and two lanes going right to the M25 at 50mph. I suspect the highways agency designed it with the intention to handle far more than 480 cars an hour, otherwise it would be backed up for miles every morning with park traffic arriving, which strangely it isn't ever. Very peculiar that when the majority of cars arrive in the hour between 9:30 and 10:30 the roads all manage, yet it would be impossible for them to handle the same volume of traffic at the end of the day. :sus:

Ismail
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:15 pm

https://www.thorpepark.com/2019

Hopefully something big! :)

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Ismail wrote:
https://www.thorpepark.com/2019

Hopefully something big! :)

There are no planning permission requests for anything at the moment. Sadly, I would temper those hopes a little. My guess is maybe something is getting re-themed. At most, a small flat ride being added somewhere.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:18 am

Double post of disappointment.

There's a banner at the exit to Thorpe now that says:

"Watch out for our 2019 events, visit thorpepark.com/2019"

That's not sounding very new attraction-y. I wonder if they'll rely on seasonal events rather than any new attraction next year. If so, hopefully they're given a larger budget and that we don't just end up with Love Island Lates: Extreme.

PsychOXRat
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Seems to be a power outage today on half the park, stealth, tidal wave, swarm, nemesis, detonator and the teacups all went down at the same time

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:07 pm

That'll be the SSE side of the park again then. Thankfully the mazes are on the other side of the park and should have their power provided by a different provider.

Edit: SSE hoping to get everything back up and running by 6pm.
Last edited by Swarm Chris on Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsychOXRat
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Yeah, SSE just posted about the outages. 3 hours until everything gets back to normal. It's definitely lucky the mazes have a different power supply

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:54 pm

I visited Thorpe Park this evening for the first time in over three years and generally I was very impressed.

Ride operations were pretty decent, all coasters on full capacity with reasonable diapatch times leading to queues of under 20 minutes for most. Stealth in particular was getting trains out really fast, great to see!

SAW-the Ride failed to open all evening, hopefully it will be open when we visit again tomorrow.

In terms of Fright Nights, we did 4 mazes and intend to do the rest tomorrow.

Vulcan Peak: What can I say, absolutely dire. Zero scares whatsoever.

SAW Alive: Great as usual, solid maze.

Do or Die: Slightly dissapointed, but was still decent. Lacked much of an atmosphere.

Platform 15: Really impressed with this one, some unexpected scares and for sure it has to be done after dark!

I also did The Walking Dead: the Ride for the first time. Whilst I think they have done a great job with the theme, it is yet another example of Merlin putting a dark & scary theme on a tame family friendly ride. (See Wicker Man, Th13teen etc)

The park seemed much better staffed than Alton Towers and flat rides really do make a difference! They help spread the queues much better at Thorpe Park.

Didn't manage to do DBGT, will do it tomorrow for the first time.

Overall I had a great time, much better than any Alton Towers visit this season. Really shows how much AT has gone downhill this year.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:14 am

For me, Thorpe's overall operations has improved greatly this year. The complaints I've seen online still happen when they seem to occasionally mess up the basics, but overall there seem to be a lot less than last year.

Hope DBGT works out for you tomorrow. It has a tendency of just not working or the queue not moving.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Having a great day at Thorpe so far, went to The Swarm: closed, then went to SAW: closed, tried Colossus: 90 minutes, currently queueing for Ghost Train, was supposed to open ridiculously late at 12:00 anyway and it is now "delayed".

I take back everything positive I said yesterday :P
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Things tend to turn like that at Thorpe, hope it's getting better now though!
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!