UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Rumba Rapids

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 pm

I was actually surprised that there wasn't a topic for Rumba Rapids.
I am a fan of all rapid rides. I have a personal love of them. I would really hate to see Rumba Rapids leave the park. I am also extremely agitated with Thorpe Park for not realizing how much potential this ride has. This ride, if revamped, could be exactly what Thorpe Park needs considering its new direction. First off i would put water cannons both on the bridge and on the viewing part where the only wave bit is. This would get riders a bit more wet. Inside the tunnel, something, literally anything, would be better than what the have now.

At the moment, Rumba Rapids is only a mediocre queue filler. It doesn't actually bring much to the park. It is a pleasant way to rest your feet. If you compare it with some of the other rapid rides in operation at the moment, it probably is the right at the bottom, which is really disheartening.

As for the past, i can't actually find much information about the ride's past, other than it opened in 1987 under the name Thunder River and in 2002 had some minor improvements because of the Ribena Sponsorship, as well as a name change to Ribena Rumba Rapids. And as off 2006 it has been known as just Rumba Rapids because the sponsorship ended.

I really would like to hear everyone's opinions on this ride, be it Positive, Negative or just ways of improving it.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Rumba Rapids - Past, Present and Future

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Unfortunately it is a shadow of its former self.

Due to various incidents over the years, not all of the pumps are used and some of the under water hurdles have been removed. Not only that but the tunnel was rebuilt cheaply, the fibre glass rocks around the course are falling apart and generally the attraction is looking tired and scruffy.

There were plans at one point to make the ride a lot more interactive by having the queue lead around the course, and opening it all up a bit more to non-riders.

Definitely an attraction which needs to be looked at in the coming years when Thorpe's budget allows.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:35 am

Oh wow. It could have been Battle Galleons meets Thunder River then lol. It is a real shame they didn't do that. Would have made it quite fun. I 100% agree that this ride needs an awful lot of TLC. Wish i could have rode it in its Thunder River days.

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:39 pm

I'd also like the rapids to receive some TLC as I remember it in its Thunder River days and returning it to something like it used to be at some stage would be welcome.

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:00 pm

I'd love for them to do a complete revamp and get the ride looking good as new, but I don't think they would invest in it. I personally wouldn't bother riding it again as in its current state I think they should be ashamed to call it rapids.

Although it would be nice to referb, I'd rather it removed and a new coaster/water coaster in its place. :)

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Thorpe Park - General Discussion

Sun May 01, 2016 1:18 pm

The barrel from rumba has vanished!

Credit to Thrill Nation.

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Re: Thorpe Park - General Discussion

Sun May 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Owen wrote:
The barrel from rumba has vanished!

Credit to Thrill Nation.

and I thought it couldn't get any worse...

Mind you I'm not sure if Rumba Rapids or the Rapids at Drayton Manor are worse.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Rumba Rapids

Sun May 01, 2016 4:12 pm

I hope this means something is going to be happening to the attraction as it really does need some TLC. Its not the best attraction at the park, but its one I do have a soft spot for.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun May 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Personally, I can see this site being used for a nice RMC attraction, I can dream! :lol

However something has to happen with it soon, as its in a right state.

craig.day.92
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 08, 2016 11:14 am

I agree with Owen, Went on it yesterday it needs some HUGE TLC.

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 9:42 pm

As soon as Loggers Leap re-opens they can do whatever with it! I need a water ride that isn't as dull as Storm Surge or drenching as Tidal Wave (it's a bit much for me when it's not a scorching hot day)

Nathan_Fisher
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 11, 2016 7:10 pm

Even if it's not due to be removed, it seriously needs updating. First thing to notice is the queue line, the paint is peeling off and doesn't look too good. Hopefully they'll do something with it over the winter.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:37 pm

What can I say about Rumba Rapids. They have both destroyed it and made it better at the same time, which I know, makes no sense what so ever. As reported on the SouthPark's Facebook Page Rumba Rapids has received a lot of attention over the closed season. I'm going to use the SouthPark's images as they are awesome, but going to say my own personal opinion on the images too.

The entrance now looks like this. Whilst I can appreciate the simpleness behind this, I am just like :sick: its ugly. And the funny thing is they haven't quite finished. There is still some green on the back side facing the pond.

What the hell TP. This just looks silly. You are trying to copy other parks who have done this burnt look and quite frankly it looks a bit stupid.

Thorpe also decided to cut an awful lot of trees down from the back. It looks awful.

The tunnel. Nothing overly exciting to mention here. Just some red lights added and berries gone.

Quite frankly, the aesthetics of Rumba is currently appalling and looks terrible. BUT, the ride itself has been vastly improved. They now have all three pumps running and my god does it make difference. You actually get wet now. Yes, you read that right. You Get Wet On Rumba Rapids!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 am

I'm mixed about it, but generally prefer what they have done to how it looked before.

The charred section is actually an improvement, as a lot more of the course is visible from the exterior, making it feel more interactive with non-riders.

The tree cutting is pretty harsh, but it will look better when there are leaves on trees again. Completely speculative, but could they be clearing vegetation in preparation for a future attraction? A load of large trees have also disappeared from behind Inferno..

It did look like they were using all of the water pumps today leading to a much improved ride - a few of us got absolutely soaked which has not happened since the early days.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 am

Maybe the tree cutting is to do with ground testing? Didn't they do something similar on the island behind SWARM recently? Although we're assuming any new ride(s) will go to that island it's always good to have a Plan B.

Having ridden the Rapids yesterday it kinda feels half done, like they have a plan to overhaul it but had to stop half way for some reason. Maybe with the 2 new kids rides plus Ghost Train they couldn't finish all the work?

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Does look rather bare. Hopefully come the summer it will look a lot better with greener trees and over grown weeds.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Dom wrote:
You Get Wet On Rumba Rapids!

Typo or something? :P

I really hope the future is bright for Rumba Rapids. It may not be the best rapids any of us have ever been on, but it's one of those rare rides that everyone can enjoy at Thorpe Park, not just the pure thrillseekers or the little ones (especially since they've left Loggers to rot).
Rides on Dragon's Fury since SRQ installed:

2016: 17 | 2017: 35

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm

I personally feel it looks real nice with the new appearance. Most people I know hated how crusty it was, the random berry people made no sense and how out of place the colour scheme was (especially with the Ribena affiliation gone). I look forward to maybe an extension of the work in the next closed season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 10, 2017 11:41 am

Due to recent events at Drayton, Thorpe Park has closed Rumba Rapids until further notice.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

cubwolf
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Been to to Thorpe this weekend. Rapids were back open with the waterfall on in the tunnel. The water guns on that and tidal wave and storm surge were off. There is a member of staff in a life jacket and rescue kit overlooking the lift and one sat on a hill on the final bend with the same kit on and a panic button. How long thats going to be the case is anyones guess but its increased staffing costs.