UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: I'm a Celebrity! Get Me Out Of Here

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:48 pm

GUTTED

I absolutely adore this attraction because it’s so camp and cheesy and, well, a little bit crap. If they are going to put something in its place I have two requests:

A. Make sure it fits with The Jungle theme of the area that the space it is in!

B. Don’t put Vulcan Peak in!

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:52 pm

Personally, I've never been a fan of IAC so I'm kind of glad but at the same time I hope Thorpe do something better with the space :D

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:32 pm

I did the IAC at Thorpe once, it was a good waste of 30+ minutes of my life that I will never get back

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:43 pm

I did it once, which was on media night where it clearly was presented at its best.

No big loss, but just another attraction to add to the SBNO list..

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:31 pm

I've only ever done the attraction three times, once on its media night, once later on in its debut season, and then a couple of years later. Whilst it did have very good interior theming, and there was a clear effort to keep the trials up to date and fresh, for me it never quite worked. It also just always seemed a little odd to have an attraction which used an IP that had its peak interest during the Resort's closed season! That being said, if nothing else opens at the Resort this year, I think it wil be missed, if purely for its ability to hold a good 30-60 minute queue at peak times and therefore help reduce the queue times elsewhere.

What does seem a little strange is that if indeed the attraction has left the Resort (remembering that at this stage its departure is pure speculation based on the ride page on the website being removed - nothing official has been announced), it seems as though the decision has been made relitively recently with a job posting for an Entertainments Host at Thorpe Park on the Merlin Jobs site, posted on 21st December 2018, including the following in the job advert text:

As an Entertainments Host you will need to be a lively individual who is not afraid to speak to crowds and interact with guests. You will facilitate the daily operation of the I’m A Celebrity attraction, Angry Birds 4D and scare attractions on selected dates, along with undertaking duties allocated to you which may include assisting guests, undertaking Health and Safety checks, venue cleaning and front of house duties.

Of course it is possible that the text used has simply been copied from a previous year, but could it also suggest that the Resort have only decided in the last couple of weeks to remove the attraction?

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 pm

I’m really not going to miss this at all. It was highly themed and fun for the first year but it was not ‘rerideable’ in any sense. I don’t think a theme park was the best place for it as the target audience didn’t seem all that enthused. Maybe putting it at a Madame Tussaud’s would have been better?

I’d hope this also means the death of Vulcan Peak, officially the worst attraction ever operated at Thorpe Park.

I would expect to see the building repurposed fairly quickly. It won’t Escape the notice of higher ups there’s a prime bit of Room right in the middle of the park.

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am

I thought the premise was interesting , but in reality it was a confusing attraction, not well acted after the media night and on every experience I had in there half of the effects didn't work as planned.

It was also home to one of my more embarrassing theme park moments when my backpack, and subsequently my finger, got caught in the cargo net in the final room and I had to be rescued by a staff member while the contents of my bag tried to escape back down the hill :lol

If it's truly not returning, I don't think it will be missed. As Adz has said, maybe it would have seen more success in Madame Tussauds.