UK theme parks from another point of view!

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park Quick Questions

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:48 pm

DeadJack5 wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:
Does anyone know if Digipass is available at Thorpe?

The Digipass was available last June when I visited, me and friends used it. Unsure if it is available this season or not. Hope this helps

Thanks Jack. I’ll ask the park closer to the start of season :) 

Braaadd-14
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi I’m planning my first visit to Thorpe Park on the 27 March and I’m staying for 2 days, just was curious to see generally opinions on the park as I’ve visited Alton towers multiple times and I wanted to know If there are many differences between the two mainly because I love Alton towers and don’t wanna be let down by Thorpe Park haha

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - Quick Questions

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:11 am

The short of it is: Thorpe isn't as 'magical' as Towers. It's a lot more compact, chaotic and noisy. 

It doesn't have a central focus point (The Towers themselves), it isn't as relaxing as there are no quiet areas away from the crowds, no gardens or ponds etc. The areas are themed very loosely (with the exception of SAW and SWARM) with themed areas overlapping.

There will be lots that are similar: the brands, the food (mostly), ticketing, car parking, fast track, RAP, guest services etc. 

Prepare for self batching, no single rider either. The stations can be quite chaotic at times.

I wouldn't compare the two to be honest, both very different but both are great in their own ways. Relax and enjoy it! Thorpe is a great park, just be prepared to accept that it's run very differently to Towers.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:07 pm

My advice would be don't compare the two. Go to Thorpe without a set idea of what to expect. But from my own personal view point, I think TP is vastly better than AT. The fact you don't have to walk miles just to get from one side of the park to the other is definitely the one thing you will really notice. The food options are basically the same, but there is also branded food outlets at TP. These are Burger King and KFC (That might have changed, This is going by last years information as the park hasn't opened yet). Yes there is no single rider queue, and the batching can occasionally be horrendous, but its all good fun. The park is easy to move around. Its basically a funny shaped circle and I think it actually more atmospheric than Towers as its not so big. 
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Dom wrote:
My advice would be don't compare the two. Go to Thorpe without a set idea of what to expect. But from my own personal view point, I think TP is vastly better than AT. The fact you don't have to walk miles just to get from one side of the park to the other is definitely the one thing you will really notice. The food options are basically the same, but there is also branded food outlets at TP. These are Burger King and KFC (That might have changed, This is going by last years information as the park hasn't opened yet). Yes there is no single rider queue, and the batching can occasionally be horrendous, but its all good fun. The park is easy to move around. Its basically a funny shaped circle and I think it actually more atmospheric than Towers as its not so big. 

There was a time as recent as this time last year where I would argue that Alton is better than Thorpe, but following cut after cut at Alton, it is obvious that, in terms of things such as operations, value, availability, variety, and quality, Thorpe is by far superior. It is getting to the point where I am starting to think of Thorpe as Merlin’s flagship park, to the point where I have two 3 day trips booked in the space of a month, compared to one 2 day trip to Alton. 
Going back to the main point, as Dom said, don’t go with a preconceived idea that Thorpe is a southern Alton Towers. Yeah, they have similarities but overall, they are quite different. 

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Thorpe and Towers do have very different atmospheres in my opinion, but it is clear Thorpe has a bigger operations budget with 10pm closures etc. Alton Towers in my opinion is more of a package, with the monorail, entrance, Towers Street, and all the different areas you need to venture to, whereas Thorpe feels more 'you're now here lets go everything'. Two very different parks which I appreciate in different ways.
Formally Smiler313

Braaadd-14
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Thank you for the advice, can’t wait to visit now.

Wagstaff04
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:52 am

I’m trying to buy the Thorpe Park CD on the Imascore website using Sterling, but its only available with Euros. Does anyone know how to change it?

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:33 am

Wagstaff04 wrote:
I’m trying to buy the Thorpe Park CD on the Imascore website using Sterling, but its only available with Euros. Does anyone know how to change it?

I think if you pay via PayPal they automatically convert it to euros for you. I'm not sure how it works when using debit/credit cards but I know using PayPal transfers it to euros and doesn't give out your actual card details.

I hope this helps!
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Wagstaff04
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 am

Is there another way?

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:35 am

Wagstaff04 wrote:
Is there another way?

You can do it via PayPal, Credit/Debit card or Direct Debit.

With IMAscore being based in Germany, their website will always display prices in Euros. If you want to know how much that relates to in Sterling, just search for a currency converter on Google (other search engines are available :P )

Including shipping, the CD costs £19.96, so even though the website and order confirmation etc will be in Euros, your bank statement will show a transaction in Sterling.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Just to add, they are a very good company to deal with. I usually pay via PayPal and I've had no issues.
As mentioned above, PayPal will give you a confirmation of how much it will cost in sterling before you purchase. If you purchase via your credit/debit card then conversion rates are usually added after and appear separately on your statement. :)

ScorpionExpress
TT Member
TT Member

Kiddy Ride Queue times?

Mon May 28, 2018 9:03 am

Morning.

I have a 5 year old who adores any ride she’s tall enough for. And loved to watch big coasters etc.

She’s only 1.13m so a trip to Thorpe Park isn’t high on our list but I was thinking if I can get us cheap tickets I could take her for a day and we can enjoy the stuff she is big enough for and she’d love watching the bigger rides.

I’ve not been to TP since before we had her and the only things on my radar were the extreme rides so I never paid attention to things like the flying fish queue time etc.

Am I right in assuming the smaller rides could be quite quiet on busier days? Would we get on all the 1.1m things in a day during school holidays?

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2018 9:55 am

On the weekends Flying Fish is typically a 5 minute queue. Maybe a little busier on school holidays, but it will always be shorter than the Scorpion Express at Chessington :)

Lumber Jump, Timber Tug and Rocky Express frequently operate with empty seats.

Banana boat typically walk on.

Quantum may have a 5 to 10 minute queue.

Depth Charge 20-25 minutes depending on the weather. I've never seen it reach the bottom of the stairs anymore.

Rumba Rapids will be walk on typically until midday, then increase to maybe 25 minutes, longer if warmer.

Dodgems likely minimum 25 minute queue.

Storm surge will be at 40 as soon as it opens.

Edit: I don't know all the height requirements on these rides, so just listed the parks more child friendly rides :)

Also the queue times can be checked outside of the (occasionally unstable) app here:
http://thorpepark.tv

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 am

I will just say that maybe consider going to Legoland or Chessington or even Paultons instead. Thorpe does have some kiddie rides but compared to those other parks, they are rather basic. 

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon May 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Just to let you know that queue times are also available via the Official Thorpe Park app which can be downloaded free of charge.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:49 am

Just a quick one, does anyone know the easiest way to get to Monk's walk and where is nearby to park whilst going through the walk?
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:18 pm

I haven't been down it, but it appears Monks Walk starts in the village of Thorpe, on Coldharbour Lane. The entrance is next to Thorpe Village Hall and St Mary's Church and lasts for 1.5 miles :)

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm

There was mention of a annual pass event on the Saturday the 21st of July because they had to cancel the annual pass preview day in March, any ideas if its still on?

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:10 am

timmy1372 wrote:
There was mention of a annual pass event on the Saturday the 21st of July because they had to cancel the annual pass preview day in March, any ideas if its still on?

Checked with the Merlin Annual Pass Twitter team, and they've said that details for this event are still to be released. Although, they didn't initially know of the event...

So, assuming Thorpe didn't forget about it and are now rushing to get something sorted, it should still be on. But if you're booking hotels specifically for this event, I would suggest trying to a get a more concrete confirmation from them first. :)