UK theme parks from another point of view!

Emma
TT Member
TT Member

Reserve N Ride

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:10 pm

I Couldn't find this so I thought i'd post my views... ( sorry if its hidden somewhere in the forum :nervious: )

Went to Thorpe Park a couple of weeks ago to discover the new queuing system 'Reserve N Ride'

At first I was like 'aye??' so some Thorpe dude explained it all and awkwardly tried to scan something that wasn't working and it all seemed a bit glitchy, however it finally worked and we reserved Nemesis Inferno.

A mere 45 minutes later (and a ride on Stealth) we were allowed to go through the fast track entrance and straight on the ride. What a result!!! lets keep reserving rides!

SO WE DID.

Colossus was running a one train operation and had a horrendous queue so I thought Id reserve it (but im stupid so didn't take into consideration this would still affect my waiting time)

We 'virtually' queued for 1 hour to then join the back of a very long fastrack queue ... which would then equal to an additional 40 minutes!

This was what felt like the hottest day of the year, we were all very hot, bothered and dehydrated, but we made it, we finally made it to the front of the queue.. yes this was it... we were going to ride the amazing 10 looped coaster.

Until, It happened.... an announcement, one I did not what to hear. One stating the ride we had been waiting forever for had ceased operation.

NO.

We stumbled away through the fire exit, fast pass in hand, given to us due to the 'inconvenience caused'

Then, we went home.

The moral of the story - great idea, but needs some more thought put into it?!

](*,)

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Reserve N Ride

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:29 pm

I believe that Reserve N Ride is still in a testing stage (don't take that as 100% truth).
The issue of this is that it makes fast tracks redundant - and for thise who have paid £600 for a VIP annual pass could be seen as annoying?
It also means that the fast track queues are going to reach almost the same as average queues again making this system pointless.
On the other hand it's a very good idea. The system worked last year over the month test period however this was bc not many people knew about it, mean if they want to make it permanent they need to expect people to find out. I think changing it to the same as Disney's FastPass+ would be better - only allowing people to reserve 4 rides a day :)

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi. I am attending Thorpe Park Fright Nights on the 10th of October (Saturday). I have heard that Reserve and Ride could be in operation and I'm unsure on how it works. First of all I would like to ask if it is compulsory or if I would be able to queue in a standard manner? Also is Reserve and Ride worth it and if so, how would I use it on park? Thank You.

fitchy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Reserve and ride is great and better than the main queue if the staff use it properly when batching. Once at the park you register a mobile device and connect to the wifi. They will scan all of your groups tickets / annual passes so one device will hold the groups information. Once you have been scanned for a ride you can start virtual queuing for the next.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Thank you for the reply. I may look into using this on my visit.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Thorpe have responded to a query on Twitter about Reserve N Ride, stating that it will not be returning for this season...

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:58 pm

I expect the reasons being are the increase in attendance from DBGT.
They are still testing the system, so 2016 isn't an ideal time to keep up with the trial.

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:31 pm

It only worked on some days last year. On days where major coasters were running only one train it was an absolute nightmare, when they were on full capacity it worked like a dream. I can see why they aren't running it this year but I do hope it returns (with improvements of course) in the future. Not holding my breath though.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

PsychOXRat
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:53 pm

the first time I think it was used was at the middle-end of the 2014 season, I remember using mobile network on the way to the park in early October 2014 to book a slot at the start of the day for The Swarm, went straight to it and skipped a 45 minute queue. We also used 2 phones to plan rides after each other, and it worked rather well over the 2 days we were there as there wasn't a lot of people that knew about the system, meaning we could do everything on a busy day with average 1-2 hour queues as I think that Fast Track queues were separated from the R 'N' R queue

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:48 pm

I did this once last year. Typically, you'd reserve a ride, virtually queue for an hour, then queue an additional 30-60 minutes in the fastrack/designated queue. To be fair, with the ratio of fastrack to main queue being let on, the main queues probably were in excess of 100 minutes, but I'd much rather keep it simpler and have everyone queue for an hour.

Based on my experience last year, Thorpe would be wise to drop the idea entirely.
Rides on Dragon's Fury since SRQ installed:

2016: 17 | 2017: 35