UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

End Of Season Review 2016

Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Now that the last train has left Thorpe Junction for the year, we think it's the perfect time to derail our minds again as we look back at what has potentially been Thorpe Park Resort's scariest year. Have you experienced the Island's dark secret on Derren Brown's Ghost Train? Perhaps you experienced the thrills and sounds of the Ministry of Sound nights? Did you depart from Platform 15 and discover what lay at the end of the line? Or did you VIP it up and do one of the VIP experiences? If you visited the Island like no other this year then we would love to hear about the highs, the lows and the screams.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Re: End Of Season Review 2016

Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Definitely had my best visits at Thorpe park this year. Highlights were riding inferno, swarm, rush and vortex as well as experiencing dbgt after all the hype. Lowlights were dbgt being closed on 2nd visit and my bland ride on stealth.

2016 has been a great year for me at Thorpe park and I know 2017 will be even better as I will ride saw/ collosus, continue to ride more extreme rides and experience the new version of dbgt! :)

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:16 pm

I've only been to Thorpe Park once this season, and it was my first ever visit, and it was great! Sadly I didn't get to ride DBGT, but I did finally get to see it in person and it looks amazing, well done Merlin :clap: The Swarm is a top coaster for me!
Ride count 2017: 346!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 857!
Cred count: 65!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:29 pm

Thorpe Park has been a bit hit and miss for me this year I must admit. Lets start with the good:

Derren Brown's Ghost Train
I love this to bits. The themeing is incredible, which for Merlin, is surprising. I know its had its issues but I think overall this has been a very good investment for the park and can't wait to see what is in store in 2017.

Nitrogenie
Need I say more

Big Top
The transformation this scare maze went through was incredible. It was 100X better than last year. The themeing on this was incredible and the scares were there this year too which is good.

Summer Nights/Summer Nights Reloaded
I got to experience the Reloaded version and I must say this is such a lovely thing the park did. The whole park just felt very chilled and relaxed and it was a pleasant trip.

Now for the bad

Derren Brown's Ghost Train
While I adore the attraction to bits, it has also been a big fail for the park. The delayed opening didn't bring the good vibes and when it finally did open it was plagued with technical issues. For this reason its also in the bad.

Platform 15
What the hell! This scare maze had so much potential and it just flopped. It was dull, it was boring, it was too spacious and it lacked actors. It was just terrible.

Overall
Overall i'd say this was an ok year for Thorpe. If it wasn't for the people I go to the park with, It would have become very boring. But that could just be me getting bored of the park.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Same as Liam, I didn't visit Thorpe much this year, and 75% of the times I went DBGT was #unavaliable! Nevertheless the 2 times I rode it I thought it was a solid investment and certainly rises up on universal ride quality. But from my person point of view, I unfortunately feel this ride was over hyped, and therefore expectations were high, and they didn't meet! I do love one scene in particular. But I won't spoil the ride! Looking forward though to the new scene next year!

The rest of the park is still great. With Stealth remaining my favourite coaster on property. Theming is starting to look drab in some areas, they should start a Thorpe Loving Care program. Over than that, Fright Nights was a let down, with the exception of big top, that was incredible! Saw alive was better though, so I'm glad they have done something. But P15 has to be the worst maze in the uk. I mean. It was like just walking to Alton towers's overflow car parks, with an actor popping out ever now and then!

Anyway still loving Thorpe, and looking forward to returning next year!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2018 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

Extremely Colossal
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:07 pm

I Agree platform 15 was awful. To Be honest i'm not a big fan of the ghost train. The actual ride is clever and the acting is fine its the VR i don't like. My 2 Favorite Rides at Thorpe This season have been detonator and stealth.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:31 pm

My only proper visit to Thorpe this year was around mid-April, prior to DBGT's opening, however I did attend the media event in July where I got to experience the new attraction.

From what I can remember, my visit early in the season was a good one, aside from being teased with only DBGT's shop open. The rest of my family hadn't visited for a few years, so it was a relief that we managed to get on all the major coasters, some of which they hadn't braved before, as well as a number of flats.

I've been fairly outspoken about Derren Brown's Ghost Train in the relevant topic, but to summarise; it's an attraction that is yet to fully realise its potential. I had two rides on it during the media event, and, given that it had not long been open, everything that was supposed to be was functional as far as I was aware. Even though my first ride on it was good, I experienced issues with the audio upon riding it again and being able to anticipate what is going to happen does take away from the experience to an extent. My main wish for next year is to have all the VR content that was marketed, as well as improved reliability all round, especially with the headsets. Also, should we be getting some sort of extension to the experience added to the end for 2017, I really hope that it is something more thought out than a live-action maze-type section.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:35 pm

For me, 2016 has been the year of what could have been at THORPE PARK. There was so much promise and potential, however this just didn't seem to be fulfilled.

As with many people, I had high hopes for Derren Brown's Ghost Train, especially given the amount of marketing and build up created by the Resort. Even though the attraction's initial opening was put back from March to May this still didn't dampen the anticipation for me as, at this point, I thought it was just the Resort being sensible and ensuring everything was fully ready for when it did open. However, my anticipation for the attraction was soon to be diminished as the May opening date came and was once again postponed, replaced by a huge amount of uncertainty as to just when the attraction would actually open. When the attraction did eventually open, although it is very cleverly done, it just didn't seem to fulfill the promise of the marketing and the hype. It was over-reliant on VR and it was disappointing that only a small number of the journeys were active. It is sad that come the end of the season I really wasn't bothered if I rode it or not, something which just shouldn't be the case with a large new attraction like DBGT.

FRIGHT NIGHTS was perhaps the weakest I've experienced since I first attended in 2013. Whilst THE BIG TOP and CONTAINMENT were vast improvements on 2015, the rest of the event just fell flat, with PLATFORM 15 in particular falling way short of what it could have been. I can only hope that the 2017 event sees a total re-vamp to give FIGHT NIGHTS the new leas of life it so desperately needs.

What was really missed this year was the additional summer events - Summer Nights and Island Beats. Whilst I can see why the park didn't hold the concerts this year, the extended opening offered by summer nights was much missed. Even if the Resort reduced the numbers of weekends it was offered to just 3 or 4, that would have been better than none at all. Instead, what we did get was a passholder only event held on a Friday, a day which was impractical for so many people. Even then, these didn't quite work out as planned.

I do hope that 2017 sees a much better year for Thorpe. Although I am sceptical about the new ending I do hope that it means DBGT will finally fulfill its full potential.

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:20 pm

It certainly has been a bit hit and miss for me too for a number of reasons - firstly the positive things which include DBGT which might seem strange seeing as it has had a lot of issues, but I've really enjoyed it and think it's one of the best things at Thorpe. I just hope all the problems are sorted out over the closed season and we get to experience it properly next year.

I've also loved getting back on the coasters there (Stealth, The Swarm & Nemesis Inferno in particular) and rides in the dark are a bonus too :)

Like others have mentioned, I feel Fright Nights was disappointing again and it's a shame because I had been looking forward to the event but all the mazes just didn't impress me like the ones at Scarefest did. I also hope that Thorpe have a look at improving the event and that it will come back better next season.

Finally, I agree with Dom, Nitrogenie was a nice addition :)