UK theme parks from another point of view!

bendaboss
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Project 2020

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi. First of all, when i said i thought it would be a racing coaster I meant to say I want it to be a racing coaster.

I would love to have a hyper coaster, I just hope it doesnt use an IP but I have a bad feeling it will and as there is room at the back of The Swarm, it will have to be a small ride unless they let it go towards Stealth or Flying Fish. Do you think it will carry on the theme of Swarm Island? I personally don’t.

By the way, does any one know how to change username, mines a bit childish.
Thanks, Ben.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 pm

bendaboss wrote:
Hi. First of all, when i said i thought it would be a racing coaster I meant to say i want it to be a racing coaster.

I would love to have a hyper coaster, i just hope it doesnt use an IP but i have a bad feeling it will and as there is room at the back of The Swarm, it will have to be a small ride unless they let it go towards Stealth or Flying Fish. Do you think it will carry on the theme of Swarm Island? I personally don’t.

By the way, does any one know how to change username, mines a bit childish.
Thanks, Ben.

Hi Ben,

All the information on changing your username can be found here.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Today there was a picture of a Merlin Engineer at the Vekoma factory testing out the F.L.Y prototype. Could Merlin be looking into a new-gen Vekoma flyer for Thorpe 2020 or could it be Gardaland's 2019 addition? Thoughts?
[Insert Signature Here]

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:09 am

It would be great to add something like this at Thorpe Park, however, if Merlin had plans to install such a coaster, then I expect it would head to Gardaland. I personally don't  think a coaster of this description is right for Thorpe for 2020 as they need a solid thrill coaster without no gimmicks. 2024/25, could be an option though!

hookyman
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:36 am

I'd be more than happy with something like Lech coaster or the new version of the launch coaster they have just released. Vekoma have really come on leaps and bounds recently. I think we might be seeing more of them in the near future.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Yeah, I think Gardaland would be a more likely choice. It could however be as part of a multi-buy as we've seen before (3x B&M Wing Coasters, 2x Intamin Accelerator etc). I still think a nice non-inverting mega/hyper coaster is the more likely choice. Thorpe already has 2x sitdown multi loopers (Colossus and SAW) although neither are launched.

I've just ridden Mako at Seaworld Orlando and that could work very well as it's reasonable compact and not too imposing. It would be unlike anything in the UK (and we all know how much Merlin like UK/Europe/World firsts!)

TheBeornen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:43 pm

A B&M hyper would be great at Thorpe Park as other than Blackpool I can't see any other park in the UK getting one, anyway Blackpool probably doesn't have the space for one now after Icon.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:25 pm

I've been thinking about Project 2020 and wondered if they will utilise an IP for Project 2020 and if so what IP will they use(Assuming they are going for the teen market) maybe we'll see another SAW like situation with a ride themed to another horror based IP. But what IP's would they go for? It? Alien? 

And what type of ride they'll go for is another question. I reckon again it'll like SAW with a big gimmick with ride hardware which is popular at the time. So assuming they do that I wonder what ride system they'll go for. 

And what about the locations? Entrance site? Land behind The Swarm? Loggers Leap site? And if it uses the Loggers Leap site will it interact with Loggers Leap and it be refurbished or will Loggers Leap be removed? 

Honestly I don't mean to keep bumping this thread but something about the speculation for this fasinates me, even if the ride does not appeal to me when it opens. 
[Insert Signature Here]

bendaboss
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 am

If they were to use an IP, I think they would use The Walking Dead, as they have the licence for the mazes and there was speculation on a ride being themed to it.
I highly doubt they will give Project 2020 an IP, but if they do, I hope it isn’t The Walking Dead as I hate it.

On another note, do you think it could be another one of them partner coasters, like Nemesis Inferno? I don’t want them to as I hated the general public for calling Nemesis Inferno just Nemesis, as if there wasn't another superior one.

But what do you think?

Ben.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 am

bendaboss wrote:
If they were to use an IP, I think they would use The Walking Dead, as they have the licence for the mazes and there was speculation on a ride being themed to it.

X is the ride being rethemed to The Walking Dead.

Given Thorpe have used an IP for their 3 most recent installations (Angry Birds Land, I’m A Celebrity and DBGT) it is a trend they could continue, but I hope they go for something original or we could soon have a park overrun with a mish-mash of IP’s.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:31 pm

It would be nice but personally I think they will continue with the IP trend and bring in big names/brands to draw the crowds.

The island theme is nice and it would be good to see this built upon more, with a summer vibe!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Generally, I think the purpose of using an IP can be summarised as providing an attraction, that on its own merit doesn't offer a compelling enough proposition that's also marketable, with a hook that will (hopefully) draw in the crowds. To use the examples Dan referenced above: Angry Birds Land and I'm a Celebrity are both pretty standard attractions, which would probably have come across as quite lame if they didn't have the respective IP and had to be marketed as such, and although DBGT offers a much more bespoke experience, it would have been much harder to convey the sort of thing it involved without the Derren Brown association. I suppose you can also consider X's TWD retheme - without the IP (which has also enabled the broader Year of TWD offering), a retheme would have likely been a waste of resources from a commercial standpoint.

Where as, when it comes to installing a high-thrill rollercoaster, it tends to be much easier to market the ride experience for what it fundamentally is. Of course a complementary theme also helps to increase its marketability, but the theme being that of an IP won't necessarily make a significant difference. I think it's for this reason that none of Merlin's major rollercoasters, with the obvious exception of Saw, have utilised an external IP.

Therefore, I do think it's more likely we'll see something original for Project 2020, although of course that's not a certainty. Ultimately, it will depend on how impressive the ride experience is that they can come up with.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 am

I agree with @lewis97, I find it unlikely it'll have an IP attached to it. 

It would create so much extra work for Merlin Making Magic too, placing extra design constraints on an already large and complicated project. When it takes months and dozens of design alterations to tweak the colour and design of Stormtroopers in Battlefront 2 the negatives start to outweigh the positives. Whilst Lionsgate would be protective over the SAW franchise  I see them allowing MMM a lot of freedom to design something fun and interesting that's not directly related to the films or is considered strictly cannon. Very few other franchises offer the same freedom. It was a real one off. With DBGT it's obviously a pet project by Derren Brown and he would probably be a lot closer to a creative consultant/ writer than most other 'brands'.

I firmly believe the reason why the Jimmy Fallon ride at Universal is so poor is because it was design by a very large, multi company committee. With the exception of The Wizard of Oz it's almost always going to end badly. 

Anyway.

If they can get near/match THE SWARM in regards to theming then I think they are onto a winner. Hopefully when the park reopens we may see some preliminary work taking place which should give us an idea of where it'll be located and maybe the ride type.  No doubt that MMM have a fairly firm idea of what they want, they may even have a preferred manufacture in place. I wonder if we'll see a Mack, Intamin, RMC, GCI or a B&M van turn up sooner of later. 

bendaboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Wait, is it confirmed X is being rethemed? If so i am going to be so angry, X is an alright theme, there’s no need to change it to The Walking Dead! I hate The Walking Dead, if it were to be rethemed I would love it to go back to X:\ No Way Out. 

Surely the new ride has got to be on Swarm Island. Where else can they put a ride like that (assuming it will be big)?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm

bendaboss wrote:
Wait, is it confirmed X is being rethemed? If so i am going to be so angry, X is an alright theme, there’s no need to change it to The Walking Dead! I hate The Walking Dead, if it were to be rethemed I would love it to go back to X:\ No Way Out. 

It will likely be confirmed by the announcement from Thorpe that's due tomorrow.

JC13
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:09 pm

lewis97 wrote:
bendaboss wrote:

It will likely be confirmed by the announcement from Thorpe that's due tomorrow.

There was apparently a leaked PR image, and I’ve seen it. It is walking dead, but the name they chose is appalling (won’t mention names of who i got the leak from or what the name apparently is)
:sus:

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Let's just say, it might give some fans an X-cuse to complain for once... :lol

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:38 am

On this idea that using IP is a bad thing, I dont agree! I've not seen any of the Saw movies, but Saw: The Ride, is a good ride.

IP is more about marketing than the quality of the ride, and yes it helps alot with the themeing as well, but the trade off is you have to pay for that IP, and you never have full ownership of it, but this is a park with a "I'm a Celeb..." experience, so Thorpe Park is somewhere that uses IP alot.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:32 pm

To believe or not believe, That is the question.

Personally, A hyper wouldn't fit the size of Thorpe. (Yes I know what I said earlier in the thread) So I don't believe this.
[Insert Signature Here]

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 pm

I have read suggestions that the trees being cut down in between The Swarm and Stealth was to clear space for whatever the 2020 investment turns out to be, so that would potentially give them a wider site to work with.

Couldn't really complain about a new B&M in the UK, but I still hold out hope for something a little more 'original'.