UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Project 2020

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:45 pm

It could be argued that Saw's vertical lift and 100-degree drop, which (if I recall correctly) was heavily featured in the ride's adverts, was its imposing feature that made it look scarier and "bigger" than it actually was, and was likely one of the reasons for its attention. Meanwhile, The Swarm's adverts centred around the ride's theme and contains many fleeting shots of the ride, but weren't quite as "BAM, look how big and scary this is". So marketing definitely has a factor in it, but it remains true in my opinion that Merlin tend to be most successful when marketing its rides around a feature of the ride, as is the case with the Secret Weapon series.

In terms of Project 2020, this could mean anything, depending on the model, but if it's going to stand out and "market itself" as Thrope Park are claiming they want it to (for the record, I'm not taking anything they say as remotely factual; all of this speculation should be assumed to be preceded with "if this does turn out to be true ..."), height seems a fairly likely possibility, especially as the teaser seems to suggest an airtime-heavy layout.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Burniel wrote:
In terms of Project 2020, this could mean anything

Maybe it will be a big imposing refurb on the bridge?!?!?!?!?! :lol

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Something I find intriguing is that we still have 3 year until we supposedly get this thing, planning permission I can see coming around mid next year, but we still have a 3 year gap without anything new. I can't see much for next year, maybe Loggers reopens and they give it a retheme and brand it as new, 2019 I have no idea, I want to say new flat to replace slammer, but it could just be a year of hyping up project 2020. 

As for the marketing purpose of the ride, as Burniel said, I believe you do need an image that will make you say "cool" and "I want to ride that". The concept image does suggest a hyper/airtime machine, and it is over the bridge, so I could sorta see a ride taking notes from Gatekeeper/Fury 325 and having the ride go over/near the park entrance. That is an image that does stand out.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:34 pm

There will be attractions in between this, however, Thorpe Park is considering taking one year out in order to make general improvements to the park.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:43 pm

As for the bridge in the teaser, bridges often go over water.

Just sayin :D
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Going back to owen's point, I agree that Thorpe are lying about 'still looking' for a ride. If it really is a massive rollercoaster coming for 2020 then it's definitely been in the works for about a year. By now they should be figuring the finer points out. The number you always hear when a park official is asked how long a coaster took from idea to opening is 4 years.
GodBlessTeaTowels

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:28 pm

With DBGT only having just opened this time last year, and the headache it caused throughout the rest of the season, I doubt Thorpe had too much time to give that much thought to their next major investment in 2020 (apart from not wanting to replicate all the issues associated with Ghost Train).

Also, given that during the talk/Q&A at Summer Sizzler Andy was generally quite forthcoming and honest about things, alongside the fact there was no real incentive to lie about where they were in the development process, I don't think it's unreasonable that Thorpe haven't finalised Project 2020, but that's not to say they now don't have a relative clear idea of what they want to invest in with number of well-developed ideas that satisfy that, which I believe is the gist of what was said.

GThing64
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 pm

The key points he emphasized on following the issues from Ghost Train are reliability, throughput and ability to market itself.  For me, that says a bloody massive coaster that can be seen for miles, built by a company known for reliability like Mack or B&M.  Whilst I would love a Mack Mega (or 10) at Thorpe, another B&M would also work very well for the park.  I'd imagine they would be looking at multiple manufacturers to see which one can create the best ride with the best value for money in terms of initial investment and maintenance.  I do hope that a hyper is at least on the cards since Thorpe desperately needs an airtime machine and the only thrill ride at the park to not feature inversions atm is 12 seconds long, so providing a ride with no inversions and max airtime is likely the best option for them.  Or an RMC.  That'd also do.

bendaboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:25 pm

have not heared of this progect hope to see what they will do.
I think it will be one of those racing coasters when theres two tracks, two stations, and, the carriges race each other.
You belong to the smiler...Welcome to oblivion...NEMESIS!

UKCoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:26 pm

bendaboss wrote:
have not heared of this progect hope to see what they will do.
I think it will be one of those racing coasters when theres two tracks, two stations, and, the carriges race each other.

I doubt they will install a racing coaster. A delay in one station means a full train can be sitting in the other just waiting for the other to be ready. Thorpe need a ride with high throughput with little delay in the station as operations are already a bit dire.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:28 am

This just popped up on my YouTube recommends, the Flash Hyper Coaster at Lewa Adventure Shaanxi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvKFdHFo7J0

I could totally see Thorpe going for this as Merlin like their unique and record breaking rides. Maybe they could better this ride and have the worlds tallest loop? 

They would only have to deal predominantly with one company (Mack) directly rather than the myriad of different companies required for DBGT. I sense dealing with so many suppliers for DBGT slowed down both production, building and crucially the repairs/changes needed during its first year of operation. 

I have a strong feeling we'll be seeing either Mack or B&M for their next coaster based on what has been said by Merlin. Intamin is a possibility but with so many parks shunning Intamin due to build and reliability issues I find it unlikely. Vekoma is possible too I guess as they are on a hot streak with new coasters. No chance will it be a Gerstlauer, not after Saw, The Smiler and many other rides which have had issues.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:19 pm

I could see a B&M/Mack Hyper/Giga coaster fit in between Loggers Leap and the entrance. 
I mean it would have it's station and lift hill where Loggers Leap is and have a curved drop and go into a bunch of Airtime hills over the lake then go over the bridge into a hammerhead turn and under the bridge before going into more airtime hills before hitting the brakes. 

However one problem with having a ride over the lake would be laying footers. 

But what do you lot think?
[Insert Signature Here]

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:44 pm

As far as I know the lake is owned by someone else and is in constant use. I don't think they'd be able to install anything substantial over water :(

That picture also shows just how tiny the bridge is compared to the rest of Thorpe Park, I really really hope they plan to replace it.