UK theme parks from another point of view!

H8223R
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Project 2020

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Loggers is in a very bad state - I had a peak through gaps in the station building and it's so run down, I don't know if it's salvageable in it's current form. The trough looks like it would require some extreme maintenance or replacing. However, despite this I rode Colossus in the dark earlier in the year and noticed the emergency lift hill lighting is still operational. I don't know if this is a legal requirement but it is strange running electricity for a ride that's been closed for three years. Either way, Loggers needs sorting out. Old Town is a bit of a mess at the moment; you compare the quality of Swarm Island to Old Town and you wouldn't think they were in the same park. You have really poor quality fencing covering up what once used to be a really iconic and great attraction (at least Zombie Hunt improved it slightly), two flat rides that seem quite out of place with theme and buildings that are due some renovation or at least a lick of paint. I hope either next year as the main 'new and exciting' thing or in 2020 as part of their large investment they sort this area out. I hate to say it as the area has so much history at Thorpe but I would rather see it closed off next year and completely ripped out and replaced with a new themed area alongside their 2020 coaster, perhaps a futuristic theme would fit a hyper coaster.

J1SH
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Yeah, I honestly can't really see anything in the form of refurb on Loggers at the moment just because of the lack of anything happening over the past 3 years. I would like to see a coaster weave through the forest as I think that it could create a really good atmosphere (I mean you could just keep the theming for the Loggers and just slap a coaster there and I'd still be happy). I know that Saw is part of Old Town but it just doesn't have the same vibe and so personally doesn't fit very well and now that Loggers has gone it has turned into a bit of a dead zone and is only really used to get around rather than be a destination for rides. Loggers helped fill that gap and so for the benefit of that area I believe that a coaster needs to replace Loggers or we just pray that Loggers gets its highly unlikely, much needed refurb.

H8223R
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:19 pm

They could retheme Saw, when the licence expires, to a western mine coaster and update Samurai to fit into the area too.

Coastercore
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:19 pm

H8223R wrote:
They could retheme Saw, when the licence expires, to a western mine coaster and update Samurai to fit into the area too.

Any idea when the license for Saw expires? I can’t see Merlin giving up an IP in any rush. Especially with how much theming they’ve already put in for Saw.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:17 am

If this is planned for a March 2020 opening, it's only 16 months away. If it is a major coaster wouldn't planning permission be due to be sent?
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:28 am

Thorpe park have negotiated with the council and no longer have to make their planning permission public.
Thanks bubbles What a lad

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:32 am

AltonOperator wrote:
Thorpe park have negotiated with the council and no longer have to make their planning permission public.

Only for certain small things. A roller coaster or any other significant outdoor attraction is not exempt from the standard public planning permission process.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Thorpe no longer have to make planning permissions public. All people will now see is if they have submitted planning permission or not. It's likely project 2020 has already had plans submitted
Thanks bubbles What a lad

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 pm

The request they made definitely only covered small additions. :)

Here is a quote from their application:

It is considered that the adoption of PDRs will provide Thorpe Park with the flexibility to provide small scale kiosks, stalls, small scale rides up to specific agreed heights (temporary and permanent) without the need to apply for full planning permission, whilst also removing the Council’s requirement to consider numerous small scale minor development proposals, with the assurance that there is sufficient control on future development at the Park.

Source: Covering Letter from the application.

It also appears that they haven't yet been given this ability yet, as the application is still pending.

Sadly, it means there is the park is certainly still at the internal development stage of any plans they may have.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Swarm Chris wrote:

It is considered that the adoption of PDRs will provide Thorpe Park with the flexibility to provide small scale kiosks, stalls, small scale rides up to specific agreed heights (temporary and permanent) without the need to apply for full planning permission, whilst also removing the Council’s requirement to consider numerous small scale minor development proposals, with the assurance that there is sufficient control on future development at the Park.

It also appears that they haven't yet been given this ability yet, as the application is still pending.

Sadly, it means there is the park is certainly still at the internal development stage of any plans they may have.

That submission was approved a year ago it's nothing new, since TWD:TR had planning approval there has been a new submission where they don't have to make plans public at all. 
[Insert Signature Here]

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:16 pm

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Swarm Chris wrote:

That submission was approved a year ago it's nothing new, since TWD:TR had planning approval there has been a new submission where they don't have to make plans public at all. 

Unless I'm missing something, this is the only request they have made in the last 12 months for change of planning conditions. The only other 2 applications they have made are for the Walking Dead queue and Pizza building extension.

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:54 am

Seeing as we're coming to the end of the 2018 open season, when can we reasonably expect work for a new coaster to start? Presuming it's set for opening Spring of 2020 that is.

I wouldn't expect Thorpe to get a woodie however, as Towers need the visitor numbers to go up, they have been down since the Smiler incident. I'm also up for Colossus getting taken down, it's a rough ride in a drab area.

H8223R
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:49 am

Work could start at any point once they have planning permission.

It depends entirely on the coaster and size of the project. If Loggers Leap was to be removed, I expect them to do it at the beginning of next year straight after the Christmas break. Ground work should then begin almost right away. Looking at Yukon Striker over at Canada’s Wonderland their new Dive Machine is currently in vertical construction and isn’t due to open until next spring so they have started very early, I think Thorpe will want to do the same.

This is just speculation at the moment but something should happen soon. However, I think that next year Colossus will see a referb. The park know it needs doing as they stated such in an interview, so a track repaint, new trains and hopefully a station station update, aesthetics and hardware, will come. If we’re really lucky they’ll do some track replacements and update the rock work around the area. If they don’t then they have missed out on the perfect time to bring the ride back to life before it completely breaks down into disrepair.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:03 am

There's a small teaser on top of the Blair Witch building which you can see when exiting Inferno. There's a piece of wood with "MMXX = ?" on it.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Alex wrote:
There's a small teaser on top of the Blair Witch building which you can see when exiting Inferno. There's a piece of wood with "MMXX = ?" on it.

From the creators of 'Saw: The Ride', 'The Walking Dead: The Ride' and 'Angry Birds Land' comes 'Blair Witch: The Ride'! A mini dive coaster!!!
I'm hoping that is just a loose teaser saying an investment will be coming soon. Parks tend to tease upcoming rides with cryptic clues here and there.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

J1SH
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:38 pm

theparklifekid wrote:
From the creators of 'Saw: The Ride', 'The Walking Dead: The Ride' and 'Angry Birds Land' comes 'Blair Witch: The Ride'! A mini dive coaster!!!

You've only gone and jinxed it now lol

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:09 pm

I also noticed it was red and green. I know it's a stretch, but they're Christmas colours. Maybe we'll get some sort of announcement at Christmas! Probably not much will be said but maybe an area for the ride. And wasn't the theme for The Swarm announced near Christmas? This is still a theory but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!!!! EDIT: MMXX is Roman numerals for 2020, just clarifying.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:55 pm

A bit of totally random speculation here as this could be a genuine teaser, or simply Thorpe messing with us. However, I was looking at the description for Terror at Amity High and noticed a familiar name in the description:

NEW for 2018, It’s Big Bob’s Homecoming Bash, and the teens of Amity Cove are partying up at Make-Out Point behind the old Speedway.  But these are no ordinary highschoolers – they’re always on the lookout for fresh young blood to join their gang and one swift bite to the neck might take you from necking with Cindy the Prom Queen to joining the army of the undead for all eternity!

Could the use of 'Big Bob's Homecoming Bash' be a tease that Thorpe may be getting a wooden rollercoaster, or is it just a case of Thorpe teasing us knowing that someone would pick up on the reference? Or is it all just one big coincidence?

Ismail
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Nemesis -----> Nemesis Inferno

Wicker Man -----> Wicker Man Inferno
:-k :lol

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:08 pm

Ladyofthelake wrote:
A bit of totally random speculation here as this could be a genuine teaser, or simply Thorpe messing with us. However, I was looking at the description for Terror at Amity High and noticed a familiar name in the description:

NEW for 2018, It’s Big Bob’s Homecoming Bash, and the teens of Amity Cove are partying up at Make-Out Point behind the old Speedway.  But these are no ordinary highschoolers – they’re always on the lookout for fresh young blood to join their gang and one swift bite to the neck might take you from necking with Cindy the Prom Queen to joining the army of the undead for all eternity!

Could the use of 'Big Bob's Homecoming Bash' be a tease that Thorpe may be getting a wooden rollercoaster, or is it just a case of Thorpe teasing us knowing that someone would pick up on the reference? Or is it all just one big coincidence?

It’s more likely a reference to Big Bob Jones, the presenter of WWTP Radio.