UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: The Walking Dead: The Ride - New for 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:37 pm

THORPE PARK Resort has announced that for the first time in its 38-year history, it will open its gates at midnight on Tuesday 24th April 2018 for 1,000 lucky fans to experience its new attraction The Walking Dead: The Ride for free.

All that visitors will need to do to qualify for the unique experience is to come to the Surrey based theme park dressed as a zombie and be prepared to act in a zombie-like manner in the queue line. Visitors must be in the queue by 11pm on 23rd April.

Tickets for Midfright will be available via Eventbrite from 23rd April at 10am and will be limited to 1,000.

As the UK’s first and only multi-sensory and multi-part rollercoaster, The Walking Dead: The Ride invites thrill seekers to flee The Walking Dead in a relentless and terrifying ride for survival.

It is also the world’s first rollercoaster themed around the global TV phenomenon of the same name and comes complete with state of the art special effects, a replica of the iconic watch tower, and will be the ultimate test of riders’ mettle.

THORPE PARK Resort’s Divisional Director Dominic Jones said,

“We’re really excited to announce for the first time in our history that we will be creating a midfright experience for our valued guests centred around our new attraction The Walking Dead: The Ride. We can’t wait to see all of the gruesome outfits that our fans wear to qualify for this unprecedented opportunity.”

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 pm

My friend went to Thorpe in the holidays. He said it was fairly quiet and queue 15 minutes for TWDTR and he said it was 'sick', which shows that some of the target market GP like it.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 pm

So having experienced the ride a few times now, I'm actually really pleased with what's been done with the ride. The overall experience is effective and I do feel it's a good all around ride. The theming is great, the ride itself is jam packed and the intensity is just right. Coming from me who has experienced every form of X in the past and now this, this is my favourite incarnation of the ride. Even riding with guests who range from fans of the show, to people who have never watched it and have rode X in the past, they really enjoyed the attraction and feel its a welcome rework of the ride.

More detailed spoilers below:

Spoiler: show
The inside of the ride and preshow is great, the preshow is done well enough to get you to notice everything that is going on and the screen at the back did catch some people out. The rush towards the ride is good with the audio cues timed well to make it seem you are being cornered. The ride I do like, the props, lights, even the screen of the shooting is good. I personally love the brake run judder and rollback. Ever since it was noted it would involve sudden stops, I knew that the old X:NWO brake run effect would be back and is done well.

The end is dependent on the time of year you go, I did try during the holidays which had actors and outside which didn't. The actors were very good, no real intense touching but great at rushing you out (they follow you an incredible length at making sure you're gone!). Even without the actors, if you have never done the ride, you do get the sense of panic and escape.

On the negative side, just after 2 weeks of having a successful run through, some of the effects are not working. The lift Hill lights that break weren't on, the inside of the building is brighter which means you can see the track for the rest of the section which is annoying. Some of the lights weren't working for the mannequins and some of the props go unnoticed because of this.

Overall I do like the attraction and feel like this is a great addition. There isn't too many Walking Dead references which feels nice for someone who has never watched the shows and only has experienced the mazes which only I've done.
I'm the boy with the bubbles