UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: The Walking Dead: The Ride - New for 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:37 pm

THORPE PARK Resort has announced that for the first time in its 38-year history, it will open its gates at midnight on Tuesday 24th April 2018 for 1,000 lucky fans to experience its new attraction The Walking Dead: The Ride for free.

All that visitors will need to do to qualify for the unique experience is to come to the Surrey based theme park dressed as a zombie and be prepared to act in a zombie-like manner in the queue line. Visitors must be in the queue by 11pm on 23rd April.

Tickets for Midfright will be available via Eventbrite from 23rd April at 10am and will be limited to 1,000.

As the UK’s first and only multi-sensory and multi-part rollercoaster, The Walking Dead: The Ride invites thrill seekers to flee The Walking Dead in a relentless and terrifying ride for survival.

It is also the world’s first rollercoaster themed around the global TV phenomenon of the same name and comes complete with state of the art special effects, a replica of the iconic watch tower, and will be the ultimate test of riders’ mettle.

THORPE PARK Resort’s Divisional Director Dominic Jones said,

“We’re really excited to announce for the first time in our history that we will be creating a midfright experience for our valued guests centred around our new attraction The Walking Dead: The Ride. We can’t wait to see all of the gruesome outfits that our fans wear to qualify for this unprecedented opportunity.”

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 pm

My friend went to Thorpe in the holidays. He said it was fairly quiet and queue 15 minutes for TWDTR and he said it was 'sick', which shows that some of the target market GP like it.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 pm

So having experienced the ride a few times now, I'm actually really pleased with what's been done with the ride. The overall experience is effective and I do feel it's a good all around ride. The theming is great, the ride itself is jam packed and the intensity is just right. Coming from me who has experienced every form of X in the past and now this, this is my favourite incarnation of the ride. Even riding with guests who range from fans of the show, to people who have never watched it and have rode X in the past, they really enjoyed the attraction and feel its a welcome rework of the ride.

More detailed spoilers below:

Spoiler: show
The inside of the ride and preshow is great, the preshow is done well enough to get you to notice everything that is going on and the screen at the back did catch some people out. The rush towards the ride is good with the audio cues timed well to make it seem you are being cornered. The ride I do like, the props, lights, even the screen of the shooting is good. I personally love the brake run judder and rollback. Ever since it was noted it would involve sudden stops, I knew that the old X:NWO brake run effect would be back and is done well.

The end is dependent on the time of year you go, I did try during the holidays which had actors and outside which didn't. The actors were very good, no real intense touching but great at rushing you out (they follow you an incredible length at making sure you're gone!). Even without the actors, if you have never done the ride, you do get the sense of panic and escape.

On the negative side, just after 2 weeks of having a successful run through, some of the effects are not working. The lift Hill lights that break weren't on, the inside of the building is brighter which means you can see the track for the rest of the section which is annoying. Some of the lights weren't working for the mannequins and some of the props go unnoticed because of this.

Overall I do like the attraction and feel like this is a great addition. There isn't too many Walking Dead references which feels nice for someone who has never watched the shows and only has experienced the mazes which only I've done.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:18 pm

Riding again at the weekend, I am still in love with this ride, however, a few changes have been made to the exit corridor for some reason which is a shame. Also, I don't think the audio was working properly on the last section before entering the station. I rate it more than X! :)

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Been on it twice. Once on its opening weekend and once again a couple of weeks ago.

First time on I led the way after pre-show and was impressed with how that part worked. The ride itself I thought was terrible. It has a lot of teething issues and I'm fairly sure zombie invasions don't carry a message about 1080p signals, but looking past that I felt nothing happened. Then I looked online and saw people talking about a lot more things I didn't see, I suspect because they weren't lit at all on my run, or they are harder to notice in row 1.

Second ride couple of weeks ago and yes, saw a lot more physical effects and actually found it fun. Could also poke around the part before the station and found a lot of neat effects and Easter eggs. Under one of the lights that toggles, name listings with execs such as Nick Varney become visible, which seemed like it had been taken out of Disney's book of hiding the names of key people in theming.

Best use of the X building yet. Hopefully they get continued budget to slowly add more little details over time.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Nick Varney's name under operations is a brilliant little Easter Egg!

My first run yesterday was very good up until the last stop. I certainly think they have improved the timings as you see more going on. If I was to pick at one thing, then the 'Armoury' needs to be dulled down or themed a little better as it looks a little like a video game. Even having something resting up against it, or a crack in the glass would be good, although I believe there are different scenarios/characters yet to be added to that section. 

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:51 pm

It appears I still have more to see. The Armoury!?

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:55 pm

It is the bit where you see them shoot the zombies :)

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:58 pm

Ah! Think my vision may not be doing me any favours in there, even with glasses on!

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2018 12:29 am

Well... I went on it for the first time today and I was surprised, to say the least. 

Spoiler: show
Funny that the queue lines are 10x scarier than the actual ride... But they were absolutely fantastic. I was shaking by the end of it. We were at the end of the group let in to the corridors, so I think the flashing red lights were turning off before we got to them, and it was especially dark but I thought that really added to the experience. My mum and I kept looking back because we were thinking that we would see something, like an actor or even just a silhouette, but there was nothing. I thought that was kinda a missed opportunity, but then again I was so scared anyway that I think it might've been overkill. 

The little nod to X as the truck's license plate really melted my heart, and the set design was really something admirable. I really loved it. I mean the set design that wasn't in ride. The entrance and the exit of the ride stations had a beautiful look to them, and managed to make it so that even tho you're held there for a bit, there's so much to look at and discover. And so many easter eggs!! That said, I think the Canteen (exit) scene could have really used an animatronic tho... But then again almost everything in the ride could have used an animatronic. 

X as a coaster is fun as always, but I really don't think those 'zombies' (mannequins with poundland halloween decorations) added all too much. I wasn't exactly impressed with the 'additions' to the actual rollercoaster. I think the theming and additions before and after were fantastic, but the weird cheap looking halloween decorations just didn't work. I think they were assuming that because of speed, you wouldn't be able to notice them, but as soon as you started thinking back on the experience, it becomes quite hilarious. My mum brought up a theory that I actually quite like. She thinks that the zombies were purposely campy as to recreate the charm of the original X, and that it was intentionally done this way. I think it might be a jab at Alton Towers for their dreadful zombie costumes in Duel maybe. We both thought it was weird that they were using screens but didn't bother to use animatronics, something that might've been more scary in a situation like this. Also, I noticed the exact same fog machines and lights as Wicker Man in there. Rather disappointed with that, since I think it takes away the effect from the Wicker Man's ones (which were used much more effectively - these felt like a cheap after thought). And from what I could tell, they looked as if they were trying to copy that final scene from the Mummy Ride at Universal, where you pull into a fake station, only to be 'attacked' by the mummy at the last moment. I thought that because the advert made it look as if that was the case, but I really hope it wasn't because the corresponding scene (that part near the end where you stop and some voice starts talking about power and how the cart has broken down and stuff) really lacks in my opinion and was subpar. 

But, back to being positive, that final corridor is probably the most scared I've ever felt at Thorpe Park. Personally, I have a huge fear of the unknown and the darkness (two things those corridors really played on), and I had no idea what was going to come. Unlike scaremazes or rollercoasters, you have a general idea. You can either see the track ahead of you, or know that at some point there will be an actor. But not here. I didn't know if there would be actors, or animatronics, or anything. It was just pure blackness, and they didn't even use music so it felt even more eerie, since there was a strange quiet to it all. That final corridor has always given me the chills, even when it was still X. And I can't believe they managed to make it even more terrifying and use it this affectively!! Even on the same ride that has those cheap 'zombies'! It's really something to be fearful of (and proud if you're Thorpe Park). With every time I saw the plastic dividers that Thorpe Park uses, I felt a mixture of dread and hope, dread that it might be worse than the last, hope that I might see the light again and be free. It was really, really great and very, very clever in my opinion.

In the end, I have mixed feelings about this ride. I love it so much, whether because it is so terrifying that it's good or so bad that it's good. But, it does just purely fail at one thing. I don't believe it is a good use of IP. Say what you will about Derren Brown's Ghost train, but I believe that both it and Saw: The Ride, are both fantastic uses of IP. Saw: The Ride is just amazing, not only is it so incredibly well themed, but it's also interestingly themed. It chooses the best traps and set elements of the Saw films, purposely designed to wet your appetite, and intrigues you enough so that have a desire to see the films and keep them on your radar. I actually ended up watching them because of it. Derren Brown's Ghost Train, on the other hand, has an alluring factor that works in its favour, and entices you. The ride is secretly filled with so much of Derren Brown's theories and I find it fascinating to look into it, discovering new layers. With Saw, it has clear theming hints, obvious traps, works very well in the universe that the film has set up (and makes sense) and even has the main characters as animatronics to interact with. DBGT has Derren Brown introducing you to the ride in a similar fashion as he does in his films, while also appearing later as an actor. There are also so many clever, little magic tricks that give a simple but sweet nod to Derren Brown, such as the projection picking up a train on the table. Saw: The Ride and Derren Brown's Ghost Train are both clear uses of IP that work well. Outside of a few easter eggs, I didn't see that in Walking Dead: The Ride. It didn't make me want to watch the show and it didn't really (to someone who has never seen the show) seem like it represented much of it. To my eyes, it was just a zombie themed ride... 

Personally I think with the campy zombies that it should have been themed to Zombieland - it'd make more sense lol

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat May 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Animal takes on The Walking Dead: The Ride.
Great advert...

Animal also take on Wicker Man!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2018 11:01 am

Just ridden a couple of times this morning as there's no queue.

The effects have improved again, with a lot more light work, air effects and the general synchronisation of the effects to the ride are now working perfectly. Compared to opening weekend, it feels like a completely different ride.

I think someone mentioned before that there are several pre-shows. I took a look at the control panel and it has options for recorded or live pre-show. So maybe this will be used during Living Nightmare: Extreme and Fright Nights.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 am

Rode again a week later and they were operating with 2 to 3 actors throughout the day. The actors were doing brilliantly and came up with a different 'scene' each time I rode. During shift change they entered the site in character and I watched them scaring people trying to leave the ride as they staggered up the exit path.

A couple of the effects had sadly stopped working, but overall it was still running well. One thing to note is that the front row is the absolute worst on the ride and you will miss the majority of the effects if sat in that row.

Had some really good runs through and it works far better if the group you are with is a little nervous and are already on high alert. The pre-show staff I feel have the most important job in the attraction and can really make a huge difference in making or breaking the entire experience by getting the right energy and sense or urgency instilled in the group. On Sunday they were doing this perfectly! 

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:05 pm

As a new way to scare riders, guests will occasionally be joined by a walker in their train.

https://twitter.com/jordanmid/status/10 ... 09573?s=19

It also looks like the ride will have actors more frequently now.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Ha that’s awesome
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Great news for single riders like me  :)

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Woah that's amazing!! I love that scheme, it looks sooo good in the onride photos. If I had a zombie next to me, I would so buy the photo of it. 

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:00 pm

saw-x-smile wrote:
Woah that's amazing!! I love that scheme, it looks sooo good in the onride photos. If I had a zombie next to me, I would so buy the photo of it. 

We had one on our train yesterday. Hursty had the honour of sitting at the back, being stared at for most of the ride by the walker.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Haha, I can just imagine they make for really good on-ride photos! Nice idea to fill empty seats, even if they could have used other single riders instead. I doubt it has much impact on overall throughput anyway.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Robert.W wrote:
Haha, I can just imagine they make for really good on-ride photos! Nice idea to fill empty seats, even if they could have used other single riders instead. I doubt it has much impact on overall throughput anyway.

Typically they do get the exact numbers they need, but occasionally an odd numbered group gets batched by accident, which this covers. Before this you either had to wait for the next group, which wasn't ideal as that would just knock the problem on, or they stuck a random staff member in there.