UK theme parks from another point of view!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: The Walking Dead: The Ride - New for 2018

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:14 pm

Things like this just don't do the ride any justice. They've made the ride laughable now!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:16 pm

Justin wrote:
Things like this just don't do the ride any justice. They've made the ride laughable now!

Totally agree with this. Its made it a joke instead of something serious. I was really excited to ride this and now, not so much!
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:46 pm

They say that the more the train vibrates, the more energy is produced. Interesting. If Towers want to save money to get their SRQs and baggage holds back they should put this on The Smiler and Rita! :lol
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Huh, powered by screams? Didn't know this was a Monsters Inc ride

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Thorpe Park have announced on Facebook that they shall be putting their advert online at 8pm this evening, along with some "big news".

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:38 pm

Here's the TV advert:

The ride will open to the general public on Saturday 31st March.

bendaboss
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:12 pm

At least they're not advertising and boasting about the fact that it can charge phones! Looks great, theming looks fantastic looking forward to it.
Hey doesn't that sound familiar, Galactica world's first dedicated vr coaster! or TWD the ride, can charge phones! Seriously I know phones are popular with most teenagers, but really? Merlin are running out of gimmicks, just give us a good ride!

On the ride: 
Wow this is great I love the new ride theme! Wait a minute what's that! 
I got to check the battery percentage on my phone...

Ben

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 pm

SouthParks are in attendance at tonight's VIP launch of The Walking Dead: The Ride, so keep an eye on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest updates!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:32 pm

As featured on SouthParks News; Last night, THORPE PARK Official launched The Walking Dead: The Ride at a special VIP launch event. SouthParks were invited along to take a look at the Island’s headline attraction for The Year of The Walking Dead.

Will you be heading to the Island to try The Walking Dead: The Ride when it opens this Saturday 31st March?

Credit to the BubbleBoi

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:22 pm

I think they have a done a really good job from what they had to work with.

For the first time in the rides history, a stopping scene on one of the brake runs makes complete sense now.

Love the number plate on the van!

Here's our footage from last night. Spoilers.. obviously.

Katie
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:30 pm

Having had the chance to experience the ride during the press night, I have to say I was plesantly surprised by it. The level of theming inside is fantastic with Easter eggs for fans of The Walking Dead and also a few nods to X:/ No Way Out.

The pre-show sets up the story for the attraction nicely, and is just the right length for what it needs to be. One of the things that I did have some questions about prior to experiencing it was just what would happen with the long corridors inside the building, however the way they have been themed really makes you feel like you are making your way through the tunnels in the safe zone.

I won't say anything more as I don't want to spoil it for anyone, however I will say that Thorpe have done a good job and the interior has been completely transformed. It's going to be interesting to see what the public make of it when it opens.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:23 pm

Seems to be getting mixed reactions to say the best. Lots of people commenting that it isn't as scary as advertised, which is true.

Still don't understand why they slapped a horror brand onto a family coaster. The branding and the ride itself just don't match.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm about to do a very spoiler full review so only read if you want spoilers

Spoiler: show
As i'm sure many of you have seen, the entrance to The Walking Dead The Ride is the watch tower and the whole queue is now outside, so will just say its quite slow batching. Once you actually enter the building it becomes different to everything you know when you enter the building. The pre show is literally right there and its a short pre show. Its direct and straight to the point about where you are and builds the tension very well. Its definitely one of the better scenes in the whole attraction. You then get told to go through a door and through the normal X queueline which has had a lick of paint and some signs to point out different areas of the so called safe zone. It also sets up the transit system which I actually like the idea of. As you get to the transit system (coaster) the theming picks up again with a load of hints to Walking Dead and the awesome number plate. The station now looks like a loading bay. Then you load onto the train and head into the transit system. I'm not going to lie, the first bits of theming you see are cheesy and a bit oh is that, but then it all changes from the second half. The moment you hit the brake run, its like its gets this lease of life and it turns into something actually quite cool. The reintroduction of the brake run with the screens is just brilliant and like others have said, makes sense to the story. The armoury scene is pretty cool and the aftermath of it is awesome. The last brake run before the depart station made me laugh though because the way a zombie is laced with the strobes it makes it look like she is dancing. Once you leave the transit system, its a case of going through the corridors again and they added a dark corridor bit with bits of string hanging down. There were no actors on the first run, but one on the second run and even then it wasn't that great. Its a really hit and miss retheme but overall it actually works
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook

JamieDeath
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:51 pm

My quick review/summary:

TWDTR is where we headed straight away (so to avoid the inevitable queues later on in the day). We were near the frontish of the queue, about 4 or 5 batches went in before problems started, we were told some 'essential maintenance work' needed to be carried out - this resulted in about a 20 or so min delay. A few more batches went through, and then fire alarms started sounding, telling everyone to evacuate (with the theme of the ride you wouldn't have known straight away if this was part of the experience or not), after a while the ride hosts etc were evacuated from the building and we were stuck waiting until they had got the all clear to let people back in (took about 40mins). So overall didn't really give a very good first impression of the ride/good start of the day. As for the ride itself...

I was actually really impressed. The pre-show at the beginning I thought was a bit naff and just felt really fake and lacking atmosphere, but whatever it does the job. The queue line walk is the same old thing, except you are just walking straight to the dispatch instead of waiting, the ride host did a nice jump scare at us as we turned the corner to the loading area. I thought the ride was really good, great synced effects throughout the entirety of it, really impressed with the brakes used during the part where they are trying to 'restore the power' and you jolt forward a few times and break. The ride experience is on a complete new level to what it was like with X, and imo better than XNWO (and I'll admit I hated the idea of this whole Walking Dead re-theme thing). The end show I would have missed if I wasn't paying attention (after reading from online), but is a pretty nice idea. I also liked the pitch black tunnel bit you walk through on the way out, adds to it a bit. 

What does annoy me though is the throughput of this is absolutely terrible. The trains are sitting empty most of the time, whilst waiting for people to get batched and see the pre-show etc. I think the next batch should be sent through as soon as the pre-show finishes and to keep sending people through and so to make use of the inside queue, as at the moment it seems they wait for everyone to have boarded the trains before sending people into the pre-show.

The problems with the fire alarm and 'essential maintenance' were unacceptable, especially for a ride that isn't even new. I guess (well hope) they are just teething problems, but it is quite a simple ride and issues like this shouldn't really be happening.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:25 pm

I took a ride on TWD:TR today and I must admit, from a person who has not watched a single episode, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually think I prefer it to Ghost Train which I do feel is very tired and tedious ride now. There are some very nice effects, especially towards the end of the WD ride, however, I do feel the transition to the Mega Store shop could be improved as it didn't feel right!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 pm

I experienced The Walking Dead: The Ride for the first time today, and I have to say I’m quite impressed with the changes Thorpe have made.

This post may contain some minor spoilers so if you’re trying to avoid any until you ride it for yourself, please skip through :)

The entrance is very impressive, but the queueline itself is quite bland and uninspiring. As has already been mentioned, all of the queueing is now done outside of the building, so it does seem to be very slow moving at times. We queued 60 minutes for it at the end of today but it felt like quite a bit longer.

The pre-show itself is simple enough and does the job, and you then make your way through the old indoor queueline, which I have to say is very well finished off and really adds to the experience.

The biggest surprise, for me, is how much they’ve done with the actual ride experience. I was initially concerned that it would be underwhelming after all the light and sound that made X fun for what it was, but I’m actually really impressed with what they’ve achieved. It also felt a lot faster to me, which I believe is down to the fact that they first couple of MCBR’s have been either turned off, or had their sensitivity reduced, which allows the train to carry its speed much better along the circuit. The addition to the last MCBR, which you now stop on, is very well executed and adds another positive onto the experience.

After disembarking the train, we encountered a couple of actors in the old baggage collection area, and the level of immersion is maintained until you exit the building. I did notice that the old chevrons on the wall are still there in one spot, but I’m not sure if that’s just to help people with their way out of the building. Either way, the majority of guests won’t notice them.

I’ll be honest and say that I wasn’t overly hyped for TWD:TR, but it is a pleasantly surprising experience, although not one I would queue more than half an hour for in future.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Adam W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Went to Thorpe yesterday and the ride was shut pretty much all day. Apparently they've been having a lot of issues with animations on the screens hence the extensive downtime in the past few days. Slightly annoying considering I've been twice now and both times it's been shut all day :/

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:27 pm

I experienced the retheme for the first time yesterday, and I can hardly say I was impressed.
Firstly, the exterior. It's an endless concrete field of cattlepen! The queue moves incredibly slowly due to the preshow being a big bottleneck, meaning I had to queue 80mins in what looked like a 30min wait.
The preshow is short and sets up the experience, before you go through a series of corridors to the station. These corridors felt empty, with just some flashy red lights and dirty walls (I've heard there's more theming, but it was too dark to see/appreciate). There are some larger sets, which I'm sure are impressive, but it's so dark that you can't really see them.
The station looks the same but just dirtier with some muck over the safety signs.
The coaster begins, and most of it is in darkness. There are mannequins with clothes on the brake runs to look like "zombies", with a show sequence on the final one. 
Once the coaster is actually over, you pass through the long exit corridors, which are just like the entrance ones.

Then you leave the building, take a walk round the back of the queue, and are spat out into a little photobooth set up inside the megastore. This felt... weird, and a little forced.
Also to note is there was a sign saying there'd be actors inside this particular day, but our group didn't see any.
If it wasn't for the name, I wouldn't know it was "Walking Dead" themed either. The only references I noticed were a brief name drop of Negan, and the building being called the "safe zone". It should be pointed out that I've never seen the show, so there are probably more easter eggs that I just wouldn't understand.
All in all, I was incredibly disappointed with the ride! If I could sum it up in one word, I'd call it "empty". It doesn't have the same fun vibe that X had in it's later years, and not once did I feel even slightly nervous.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Clearly there must have been a light out for you, because I could easily see the large set piece which is a few feet from the queue, along with the various Easter eggs in the boxes and on the walls (especially love the one near the front end of the station!). In regards to the actors it’s unfortunate but that’s always going to be hit and miss, however complaining about waiting a long time for the ‘new’ thing, which has a huge IP attached in the half term is somewhat ridiculous - whether you thought it looked like 30 minutes or not...

At the end of the day it used to be a dark box with some lasers in so I’m happy! The ride requires you to keep your eyes open as well, there’s many things I didn’t see on my first go so to anyone going on it I’d suggest giving it a few goes!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:28 pm

I watched the Expo video from the Annual Pass night, last Saturday, and I was interested to learn that the ride experience can vary and change. Apparently, the preshow can go live and the Armoury scene has different scenes, therefore making it more reridable.