UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wagstaff04
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

The Walking Dead: Living Nightmare Extreme

Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Thought I’d start this. 

01000011 01110010 01100101 01100001 01110100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01000010 01110101 01100010 01100010 01101100 01100101 01000010 01101111 01101001 00100000 01001101 01100001 01101110 01101111 01110010

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: The Walking Dead: Living Nightmare Extreme

Mon May 21, 2018 6:43 pm

I got to experience this on Saturday and I thought it was bloody brilliant. Without giving anything away, there are a couple of changes which work, a shed load of actors and quite intense. I recommend it!
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm

I don't think I'll get down this half term as I am at Alton, but I'd like to give it a go at Fright Nights. It is a shame they have no plans to make it Exteme then. I do quite like the ideas of opening up mazes throughout the year, but I wonder what impact it will have on October? Who knows, it may be one of the best adverts ever!!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Well every time I've been this year I've heard people talking about coming back for fright nights. So the mazes over the summer could be a very big advert for it. Unless Thorpe manage to goof up with them at some point...

Not that fright nights really need more people coming :lol

Looking forward to it this weekend. I can't quite picture the number of actors fitting into the space so it's going to be interesting to see just how crazy it is in there.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Just did three goes in a row as the queue was near walk on.

Technically it is really good and the shear number of actors meant you were nearly always interacting with something.

Each go was different, with only the first being a bit of a walk through, but it had only been open for 15 minutes, so they were probably not warmed up yet.

Had some great interactions in there!

The queue seems to have some references to Big Top I think, bit didn't see any 0? references :)

End of day edit:

So went on it quite a few times as it had no queue for the majority of the day (got to 40 minutes queue time for barely 40 minutes - the rest of the day was averaging 5-10 minutes). Sadly a lot of people dropped out after either spending a long time reading the information board at the entrance, or by running from the first room. It's possible Thorpe played up the scariness a little too much... :(

The actors were amazing and there are a lot in there and understand a lot of what Dom has said about the attraction and how it runs. I got penned in a few times where I couldn't easily escape, and had some great interactions with the actors. Try playing with some of the speaking actors if you get the chance and see what happens!

One of the best interactions occurred over multiple runs, where I had pretty much my own mini story going on between myself and one of the actors throughout the day. It ended with me going against Negan, which of course ended as you would expect! :lol

Overall I didn't find it particularly scary, but that I think is due to my own perspective of these things rather than the attraction failing. Saw a lot of people terrified: big, small, old, young, male, female - saw pretty much all combinations have a bad day in there :)

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2018 8:47 am

On a scale of 1 to 10, just how scary was The Walking Dead: Living Nightmare Extreme Maze?

Bonus option: 0?

:lol

Edit: I'm slightly sleepy this morning - but thought I'd posted this on Project 0? Speculation. Oh well...
Edit 2: My browser history seems to agree :sus:  :lol
Attachments
quest1on0.jpg
quest1on0.jpg (151.46 KiB) Viewed 1148 times

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun May 27, 2018 9:24 am

Yes :lol You did, we moved it as it was more suited here :)

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2018 9:31 am

Well if that becomes the missing 0 we need later on... :) :lol

But on topic, I gave them a 7.

Still think given the crowd they may have made a mistake on trying to hype up the scare factor in this one. A lot of guests just didn't want to go in. Maybe Thorpe has now reached the horror threshold that guests are interested in and we'll get something different next!

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2018 10:02 am

Wish I knew about this earlier in the year. I don't watch Walking Dead so a retheme of X didn't interest me, but a horror maze crammed with actors that's open all day and free sounds amazing!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 pm

I got to experience this today and sadly it just didn't live up to my expectations. As I can't really explain some of my thoughts without spoilers I'll pop my thoughts in spoiler tages below.

Spoiler: show
I'll start with the positives. The slightly re-worked first scene worked well with Negan picking people off to send into the maze in ones and twos. This meant you were almost certain to face an actor upon leaving the first scene. There were a lot of actors in there, in some sections there were 3 or 4 within a small space which helped create some very close encounters. It did seem that in some parts some of the pathways had been made slightly narrower to make it harder to avoid the actors, but that may just be my memory playing tricks on me.

Now for the not so good. The maze lacked any sort of intensity. Whilst there were alot of actors in there, at times it almost seemed like they weren't quite sure exactly what they should be doing - at one point when I approached the prison section there were a group of 5 actors stood in a group having a chat and not in any way paying attention to the guests coming through or in character. They seemed to notice guests were there at the last minute and made a half hearted attempt to scare me. Whilst I appreciate information does need to be communicated to the performers, this should not be to the detriment of the guest's experience. The flow of the attraction also seemed to be very poor. Due to how the first scene now works, this means it takes much longer and consequently means there is a longer wait outside the maze. There was a good 15 minute wait in the tunnel before entering the maze, which in today's 26 degree heat was almost unbearable and at one point I almost felt like I was going to pass out. Personally, if batching is going to be slow, there needs to be two groups maximum in the tunnel, with the rest held outside.

Sadly, for me, this maze still isn't living up to its potential and I am concerned for how it will be at Fright Nights if it reverts to the version with fewer actors.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun May 27, 2018 10:14 pm

I just don't see the appeal of having a Halloween attraction open in the height of summer.

I don't want to celebrate 'The Walking Dead' when it is 28c outside - it's for October. I want to hear happy, exciting music when walking over the bridge, not zombies, screams, and a morbid theme song suitable for a cold Autumn day.

Having to wait in the complete sweatbox of a tunnel for 15 minutes today annoyed me before I even got to the maze. We were then faced with the typical 'don't touch the actors or you'll be thrown out the park' speech from a staff member who clearly just wanted to go on break. Same maze as at Fright Nights, with four actors having a mother's meeting in the middle who are then startled to actually see me, and attempt to then scare me. Too late to recover any sort of professionalism.

Universal and Disney etc don't have a Halloween event all year, so I am not sure what Thorpe are thinking.

Clearly from how quiet it was this weekend I doubt many people care either.

Seriously Merlin, everyone is over horror EVERYTHING. Start investing in exciting, colourful, immersive, well themed attractions which people will want to ride over and over again.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2018 9:44 am

Sounds like batching operations changed from Saturday, where there were never more than 2 groups in the tunnel. Frequently there were only one and a half groups in the tunnel, so they might have gone too far the other way in getting the correct number of people in there.

mol7030
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:57 pm

Anyone know what time The Walking Dead Living Nightmare Extreme will open tomorrow? Is it upon park opening?

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Should be midday.

mol7030
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:15 pm

TPC wrote:
Should be midday.

Hi TPC, ok great, for definite? No earlier? Means I can have a lie in haha.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:19 pm

mol7030 wrote:
TPC wrote:
Should be midday.

Has been midday all week :)

Think all the actors have a lie in stated on their contacts too :lol

mol7030
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 pm

TPC wrote:
mol7030 wrote:
TPC wrote:
Should be midday.

Has been midday all week :)

Think all the actors have a lie in stated on their contacts too :lol

Haha! Great, thanks for your help.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Today I was able to experience the Living Nightmare Extreme maze a few times. Having done the maze only twice at the beginning of Fright Nights, I had high hopes for the maze with its new "Extreme" tagine. I was impressed last time, did I feel the same this time?

Yes.

The maze is well themed on the inside in some scenes with others having more detail than others. The actors on the day were good, took some time for them to find their rhythm but by the end of the day they were on top form.

In the first scene, they did well to break up the group and single out those for their own little "face it alone". I was singled out to go with Jack but ended up splitting up, I did get some close interactions and was even pinned against a wall waiting for the others to move so I was alone.

The bus scene was probably one of my favorite scenes as I saw actors group up from other side of the bus and even In front to close in on visitors. Another great scene is the "chair" scene, I wasn't able to experience this scene but I was (as mentioned eariler) pinned against a wall, a great way to make the experience last longer and send you in the rest of the maze alone.

I did experience an evac when a tree prop had fallen over resulting in the scene we was in (the Neegan scene where I was about to be picked to face it alone) to be evacuated along with the other 25+ actors.

Overall I did enjoy the maze. Whether or not it really needs the "Extreme" tagine is debatable, I did have some close encounters but then at other times I had nothing. If the actors inside were a bit more intimidating and pressuring, I could see it deserving the extreme name. I did enjoy the Maze a lot and found it a great improvement over last years addition. Minor issues like batching into the tunnel far too early resulting in a dark, uncomfortable wait. Paired this with the hit & miss interactions, I still think this maze needs some work but with a more permanent signage and queue line, I think this maze is here to stay for a while and I am honestly excited to see what they do with it in the future.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:01 am

DeadJack5 wrote:
I did experience an evac when a [...] prop had fallen over...

Well I guess they really meant it when they said it wasn't coming back :lol.

Glad they were still pinning people in places. On the quieter runs last week, the majority of people got stuck in places and one particular walkway was impossible to get through without being pinned.

So now that it's all over I'll share some of my experiences, particularly mid way through, from last week when the park was pretty empty.

Half way through there is a room with a saviour. On my runs this was manned by two people. A woman who played a fairly crazy character who would shout, scream and bang against the walls with a machete (a rubber one thankfully as did get accidentally smacked with it at one point). The other was a guy who would frequently hide then step out as people came through and often had a walker on call for his part.

I ran into the guy several times and got placed in the interrogation seat. Had to wait a while until the following group passed through, but then the integration happened and he wanted me to go get supplies just for him. When the walker staggered in he - fairly literally - threw the walker against the wall to "protect" me, so I could go get him his stuff.

Well I did the run through several more times. One time I became a spectator to someone else's integration - it didn't go well for them. But later times the same guy recognised me. So the story expanded, more stuff now needed and getting annoyed with excuses.

The last run was the best, as I figured couldn't just keep making excuses. So when he saw me and demanded his stuff, I told him I'd thought about it and that I wasn't working for Negan any more (or words to that affect...). He was taken aback for maybe a second, but then went straight into anger mode and "sit in the chair". Next thing his on-call walker came in, the saviour grabbed the walker and threw him at me.

So yes, I died in Living Nightmare Extreme. Eaten by a walker in the interrogation chair.

:lol

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:15 pm

Just been on the summer version of Living Nightmare. As a seemingly last minute stand-in for Saw Alive, I'm incredibly impressed with it. It has a whole new story and characters, with a different flow through the maze. I'm inclined to think it's perhaps my favourite version so far.

The interactions were more intense in places, particularly the start. There are far fewer actors, but actually this seems to give them more space to move and work. Overall I felt that the story felt more coherent than any of the previous versions.

Spoilery spoilers:

The saviours are gone, meaning no Negan. Instead it is a group trying to setup and secure the area. This has given them much greater freedom in the first interaction, as they're not stuck with trying to mimic a Negan interaction.