UK theme parks from another point of view!

Welcome to the all new TTSP Forum!
We are still working some magic behind the scenes, your patience is requested.

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

Hehe, doesn't quite have the same ring does it... :lol:

*Adäm x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:39 pm

Seems interesting but reding it off thorpe park mania it seems we could see better investment in themeing and cleaniness

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:45 pm

I really think alot of you are expecting more from this than there ever will be.

A few questions you need to ask yourselves...

Two years ago, when DIC moved in. Has there been any significant investment in any Tussuads park which wasn't already planned? No.

Has there been any significant change to the way in which any park or attraction is operated, which would not have happened sooner or later? No.

Have DIC invested directly into Alton Towers, Thorpe, or any other Tussuads attraction? Not that we're aware of.

See, this is financial, and business decision which will affect Tussuads as a lead group, not its operational assets. I doubt we'll see any significant changes at operational level. So no changes to the way in which the parks are operated, no changes to future plans, apart from the spontaneous changes that there have been since the beginning of time and the changes we would only come to expect from an ever evolving industry. Each park will continue to develop and expand at its own pace, controlled by its own success. Tussuads pay very little more into their parks, than what they get out of them originally - this will not change.

The change in ownership, will have little to no effect on the parts of Tussauds we see. Just the way it didn't when Charterhouse took them over, and when DIC took them over.
Last edited by haydn! on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green.Wing
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Well there has been massive changes in the running of the theme parks from 2 years ago.

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:48 pm

well theyll have more money, so they will do alot with it... that also means they have more tourist attractions to look after though...

i hope they keep the name "Tussauds" in it somewhere, its got such a ring to it now
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:41 pm

"mankey52" wrote:
i hope they keep the name "Tussauds" in it somewhere,

probably not as much as adam does!

On topic: I'm not entire sure this is such good news, OK DIC were a bit useless on the investment side, but there isn't really anything to suggest that will be any different. I don't think there will be a significant change in attitude regarding the running of or investment in any of the parks, but it shouldn't be any worse, and being part of a group involving more parks sounds like a sensible move. The only possible problem is the group will now control most of the UK's best known parks, and this give them too much power.

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:18 am

"iriderides101" wrote:
Seems interesting but reding it off thorpe park mania it seems we could see better investment in themeing and cleaniness

Here's hoping that this transaction will mean increased investment in the parks particularly in terms of theming and cleanliness, areas which many feel have been sub-standard of late.

Hoping - Not fact!

mezza
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:06 am

I'm sure the Tussauds name will stay, not least because of one of their biggest brands is the Madamme Tussauds brand - they're not going to start renameing them Madamme Merlin, are they?

Maybe, though, long term, the Tussauds brand will be dropped from the other attractions in the Tussauds group - we might see the 'Merlin' name above the Alton Towers logo.

Merlin do have a lot of experience and expertise in the theme park business, so I do think they will take a more active role than DIC did and I think it will be a positive influence. DIC attractions like legoland are big on theming, customer service, things like that.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:38 pm

"mezza" wrote:
I'm sure the Tussauds name will stay, not least because of one of their biggest brands is the Madamme Tussauds brand - they're not going to start renameing them Madamme Merlin, are they?

:lol: The company was named after the Madame Tussauds founder, Mr Tussauds, not the other way around. Madame Tussauds the name will not be changing, but my guess is eventually Tussauds as a brand will turn into a division of Merlin Entertainments.

We could all be wrong, maybe they will merge the names, Merlin Tussauds possibly...

*Adäm x

TenZero
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:02 pm

Wow, only just saw this topic. Excellent news, lets hope we get some new exciting additions to the AP.

Theme park monkey
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Which is the bigger brand though? Merlin or Tussauds?

because which ever is the bigger brand would probably be the name they would use on all of their attractions (if a name change is on the cards)

i think Tussauds would be better, as Madame Tussauds is infamous around the world and it would be good to see all the attractions (such as legoland etc.) to have the tussauds logo and featured on all the publications such as leaflets and season passes.

Gazza Smurf
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:13 pm

Like other people have said, I doubt we'll see much of a difference in the park itself. I'm hoping Merlin will pay more attention to the actual theme park than DIC did, seeing as they have past experience with parks (and legoland has pretty awesome theming!) but I doubt it really. I think Alton Towers will keep going as it has been for the last couple of years.

And they better keep the Tussauds name!! I can't imagine the logo any other way :(

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:31 pm

Well think of it this way. A company has bought Tussauds, so they are going to want their name on it somewhere.

It's the same as when Adobe bought Macromedia, the name Adobe was soon used instead...

*Adäm x

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:02 pm

Blackstone also owns 50% of the Universal Orlando resort

Thats one thing I didn't know!

Steve in labour
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:59 pm

The Names Will Stay The Same. Also The AP Will Cost Over £100 If They Add All That So It Would Suck. :x
But The Extra Money Will Help The Parks Soooo Much :D :P

Nemair
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:38 am

"Big Gay Steve" wrote:
The Names Will Stay The Same. Also The AP Will Cost Over £100 If They Add All That So It Would Suck. :x
But The Extra Money Will Help The Parks Soooo Much :D :P

Are you sure? People on ATA seem to think Tussauds have confirmed it's changing to Merlin Entertainments.

I hope it doesn't though....... :(

Steve in labour
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:42 am

Its said more likely to stay as its a huge brand in the uk and usa also tussauds names their for a reason, the tussards group is more likely to just become a member of the merlin group :D

Robin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:00 pm

the combined company will be called Merlin Entertainments, which is a shame. I work at madame tussauds and really dont want the tussauds group to change although its cool we will be linked with the london dungeons.

Green.Wing
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:06 pm

The chance of it changing completly are small. The Tussards name is well known in the uk and for that to be changed would be a very stupid thing to do. More like a merger of the two names to happen. Merlins Tussauds Group would be there best outcome.

EDIT : Just reading up details on screamscape this company is huge.
http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#Blackstone
There the second biggest theme park company in the world after disney.
Great bell rings i here :D

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Merlin Tussauds is a better name... i cant imagine Merlin entertainments' Alton Towers... it just doesnt sound right. Merlin Tussauds still sucks though. :lol:

^^ Chris ^^
[b]Back from hibernation![b]