UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

AstroDan

Legoland pull the plug on James May's house

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:21 pm

BBC News link

What a shame! Sounds like there were a lot of people wanting it saved. Shame that Merlin couldn't afford to move it and home it. Would have been a good bit of advertising for Legoland as the BBC could have filmed it being moved to Legoland!

:(

Anonymous

Re: Legoland pull the plug on James May's house

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:01 pm

Money Making Machine Merlin you mean?

I suppose they could have put it on Towers Street and charged people £5 to have a look around it.. :wink:

DiogoJ42

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:10 pm

As long as the bricks go to a good home rather than getting thrown out I don't mind! I'll have 'em! :P

When it was announced a few months ago that May was going to do this I was bombarded with texts from everyone I know, telling me he wanted people to help out! (I'm a bit of a Lego freak :lol: ).

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:20 pm

From here:

Legacy of the LEGO® House lives on through annual building event

Today LEGOLAND Windsor announced that the bricks used to build James May’s LEGO® House will be going on display at the Berkshire theme park as part of an exciting annual LEGO brick building event.

Over 3 million LEGO bricks will be coming to the park so that thousands of families will have the opportunity of building with them next season. Martin Williams, Sales & Marketing Director of LEGOLAND Windsor said: “We’re thrilled that the legacy of the LEGO House can live on at the park as a giant LEGO set for the nation.”

He continued: “Our large-scale building events are always extremely popular with guests of all ages. This year hundreds of families helped build two giant mosaics featuring Bob the Builder and J.K. Rowling and only last year thousands of children and their parents came together to construct the world’s tallest LEGO brick tower.”

Fiona Wright, Marketing Director of LEGO UK said: “LEGO bricks offer endless building possibilities and this explains their universal appeal. For generations children have constructed LEGO brick models only to dismantle them and construct something completely different. The LEGO House was always being built as a temporary structure so now we’re looking forward to showcasing the ingenuity and creativity of the public by working with LEGOLAND Windsor to hold an annual building event using these historic bricks.”

More details about the first building event, held in conjunction with LEGO UK to benefit their nominated charity, The National Autistic Society, will be announced early next year.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:37 pm

So they aren't rebuilding the house but they are having the bricks.

How stingy!

Craig

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:29 pm

The thing is to build the house as a permanent attraction at Windsor would require planning permission, so although the rebuild project would've costed quite a bit, there's then the cost involved with obtaining planning permission and space. And, we know how awkward things can be with planning at Windsor!

Nice to see something being done with it though I guess.